So Let's Say....

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys so here is what I am pondering the past few weeks. I have a galaxy nexus on vzw so I am set there. My current ATT line isn't due for an upgrade until June. In our area there is no 4G LTE and I am pretty sure not even HSPA+ just the regular 3G. Would it be more beneficial for me to buy one of the unlocked international versions? This way I am not sucking battery constantly searching for LTE networks? I will be buying off contract either way as I want to save my upgrade for a later time. What do you guys think?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys so here is what I am pondering the past few weeks. I have a galaxy nexus on vzw so I am set there. My current ATT line isn't due for an upgrade until June. In our area there is no 4G LTE and I am pretty sure not even HSPA+ just the regular 3G. Would it be more beneficial for me to buy one of the unlocked international versions? This way I am not sucking battery constantly searching for LTE networks? I will be buying off contract either way as I want to save my upgrade for a later time. What do you guys think?

I'm in the same boat as you about saving my upgrade. I always buy at full retail price. Its actually cheaper in the long run. Anyway, I'd consider storage being the only factor. Do you need 16GB or 32GB? As I'm sure you know the AT&T version will have 16GB. If that is efficient for you then go with the AT&T version, and having LTE will be an added bonus because I'm sure your area will get LTE eventually.

I have read the Qualcomm Processor actually beats the Tegra in some areas. I don't have AT&T LTE yet either, but its nice knowing I have a phone that has access to it ya know.

Good Luck. FYI, AT&T wants $549.99 for the One X which is not that bad.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It wont drain your battery. If your not in a lte zone it will switch to hspa or 3g

We'll have to wait and see. Experience says anytime a phone has to constantly search for a signal it will chew through a lot of juice.

Just because it will switch to hspa or 3G doesn't mean it won't keep looking for LTE. That's why everyone is upset about the inability to turn it off.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you about saving my upgrade. I always buy at full retail price. Its actually cheaper in the long run.

"Saving" you upgrade isn't going to save you any money if you're planning on upgrading down the road anyway. The only time "saving your upgrade" would make sense is if you were planning on upgrading to an iPhone, as AT&T subsidizes the iPhones more than any other device. By not taking AT&T up on their offer to give you a discount on a phone, you're only losing money. You don't save any money by being out of contract.

I'm in an HPSA+ area, and I ordered the quad-core version from Daily Steals a couple weeks ago. The AT&T version has some shortcomings, like the inability to uninstall apps from your app drawer- that pisses me off.

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guys....first off I am really keen on the larger storage space. I am not savingmy upgrade to save money I would just like to use it on another device down the road. Perhaps LtE will come to my area sometime but its gonna take awhile for that. My gNex even on the VZW network doesn't have 4g until I get closer to the city. As some were saying the only way the gnex is good for me around home is on wifi or by shutting off 4g. My understanding is with the att version you can not turn it off and I would suffer major battery suck from constantly searching. Leaning towards the international version right now....I will be paying full price either way so that is not a concern either way. :)