Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone care to comment on Wi-Fi?

What about resetting the network setting on the phone and trying again?

Tried that as well multiple times as well including "forget network". Even went as far as to flash the router AND reset the entire phone. Again no joy.

What's still consistent and odd is that it has no issues connecting to the airport express.

It's going back to ATT in the morning, though I may have to give up my white one since they said I got the last one
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,427 Global Posts

I can confirm there is an issue with the WIFI.
    It has been working fine all afternoon, then all of a sudden it starts dropping the WIFI connection...

Simply not good...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Mine has been fine through a solid 8 hours or so of use. That includes hopping between a couple different routers and deliberately going in/out of WiFi range.

Will post again if I see any problems, but so far so good.

(The router I'm mostly using is an Airport Express)
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,427 Global Posts

Just to confirm.

I left my house this morning, connected to WIFI, got to work, and my HTC One X thought that I was STILL connected to my WIFI at home. Hence I received no messages\notifications during my travel to work. I had to turn my WIFI off, and now notifications are coming through.

Clearly there is an issue...

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    Just to confirm.

I left my house this morning, connected to WIFI, got to work, and my HTC One X thought that I was STILL connected to my WIFI at home. Hence I received no messages\notifications during my travel to work. I had to turn my WIFI off, and now notifications are coming through.

Clearly there is an issue...
    Same here... won't drop wifi without me shutting it off at the moment..

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

My WiFi seems to be fine so far. Thats my only source of internet access at the moment because my data plan hasnt been provisioned yet. Kinda sucks when im out and about and i cant check the internet without wifi.
    CrackDroid AT&T Sales Rep
    HTC One X Stock
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,427 Global Posts

Hmm, interesting. Maybe that's why yours works okay, since there is no conflict with the carriers service...

Quote Originally Posted by Man.Droid View Post
    My WiFi seems to be fine so far. Thats my only source of internet access at the moment because my data plan hasnt been provisioned yet. Kinda sucks when im out and about and i cant check the internet without wifi.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,427 Global Posts

...that is rather weird, isn't it? At least am not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,427 Global Posts

I just called HTC about this, and apparently they are aware of the issue, and a fix is due at the end of May...

Sad really. I'll turn my WIFI off for now.

Under wifi settings, there is an advanced menu item named Auto Disconnect.

Do you guys have that checked or unchecked? Mine's unchecked and I haven't seen this particular problem (yet).

I just called HTC about this, and apparently they are aware of the issue, and a fix is due at the end of May...

Sad really. I'll turn my WIFI off for now.
    Which particular issue are they aware of, Navi? There are two or three going around on this list. Did you talk to them about the looping problem while trying to connect?

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

So I went to ATT this morning to swap my phone after posting yesterday about what I guess we are calling the "looping problem"

There was a woman there at the same time that was having the same issues also swapping out her phone.

I got my new phone and it's better but still not working well. Now it drops the connection every couple of hours instead of not getting connected at all.

I'm hoping that there really is a "fix" coming as some have posted. I really like this phone, but wifi stability is key
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,427 Global Posts

I spoke with them about the WIFI not staying connected and when going from one location to another, it won't drop the current connection to this switch to carrier connection...

I didn't mention the 'looping'...

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Which particular issue are they aware of, Navi? There are two or three going around on this list. Did you talk to them about the looping problem while trying to connect?

I do not know if anyone in this thread has any control over the routers that you are losing connections to. If you do not then there is not much you can do but if you can change the settings on them you can change the router to only use the 2.4 frequency and you can set it to either b/g only or N only.

But there is definitely an issue that there is supposedly a fix for coming... "soon"
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,427 Global Posts

Hmm, on my home router I have mixed devices (n b/g) etc. that connect. A shame really...

Here's hoping that HTC resolve this quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Valdeck View Post
    I do not know if anyone in this thread has any control over the routers that you are losing connections to. If you do not then there is not much you can do but if you can change the settings on them you can change the router to only use the 2.4 frequency and you can set it to either b/g only or N only.

But there is definitely an issue that there is supposedly a fix for coming... "soon"

Quote Originally Posted by Valdeck View Post
    Actually NO, locking into the 2.4 will not fix the problem. My router only does 2.4, and the problem persists.

802.11B and G use 2.4. 802.11A and N can use 5ghz.

Too often, people make a change on their router and the problem goes away temporarily.
    They then assume this change had something to do with it and post success all over the place.
    Each time it appears to work for a while, probably because the router was rebooted more than anything else.

But the problem comes back, and few ever bother to post back.

I've tried lots of different things, including locking the router to G, which also locks it to 2.4ghz, locking router to Channel 6, (fewer drops, but same looping when it does drop), changing the encryption type. I've even tried static IPs.

All of these things seem to fail after time. Yes, even static IPs fail. They simply cut the obtaining IP step out of the loop process, but they won't stay connected any better than dynamic IPs.

Yet every other phone on the router works perfectly.

The one thing that does not fail (FOR ME) is removing security on the router and going with mac address filtering. (I use a separate router for this - a major pain).

I can always get my HTC back on line by connecting first to a neighbor who has a router with a Guest SSID (in addition to their normal SSID), then connecting back to my own router. But lots of people can't do this, or don't have another router near by.

Its not a DHCP issue. (I can and do offload DHCP to a linux server, and when the loop occurs the DHCP server never sees a request, The connection gets dropped by the router or the phone before it allows that request to go thru.)

Its not a router problem. Every other device in the house has no problem with the router. The problem resides in the phone, and has something to do with blacklist handling or hacking countermeasures code. ("Michael" countermeasures I presume).

(This is not to say that some routers (airports) aren't more forgiving, who knows why).

We all have to wait for the fix, but the end of the month can't come too soon, and this is a bone headed mistake on HTCs part expecially since they have already solved this problem a few times before in other phone models, as has Nook, Xoom, and several Moto phones. Its a well known problem.
    Last edited by icebike; 05-07-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,427 Global Posts

Someone on another forums suggested using a static IP...

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Someone on another forums suggested using a static IP...
    Doesn't help.
    Nor does forcing b,g or n only networks or restricting it to 2.4 ghz or 5ghz bands.

Watching the stream it looks to me now to be something with the security. I'm using WPA2 and the modem is logging tons of errors authenticating.

I might try turning off encryption this evening just for grins

I just picked up my new HTC One X from AT&T today and having wifi problems. Sitting in my office which is about 30 feet from my router, I will get strong signal with all bars and then nothing or 1 bar. I have tried it all over the house with similar results. It keeps dropping the wifi signal. Other wifi devices are showing a full signal with no drops. Disappointed.

Under wifi settings, there is an advanced menu item named Auto Disconnect.

Do you guys have that checked or unchecked? Mine's unchecked and I haven't seen this particular problem (yet).

I don't see any auto disconnect option in advanced WiFi settings...

Quote Originally Posted by thomasbct View Post
    I just picked up my new HTC One X from AT&T today and having wifi problems. Sitting in my office which is about 30 feet from my router, I will get strong signal with all bars and then nothing or 1 bar. I have tried it all over the house with similar results. It keeps dropping the wifi signal. Other wifi devices are showing a full signal with no drops. Disappointed.
    Please read through this thread and be more specific about how it acts when you say it drops the wifi signal. Watch the messages in the wifi router list an see if you are seeing what other people have reported above.

Also what kind of router do you have and what type of security settings did you use?

I don't see any auto disconnect option in advanced WiFi settings...
    So you don't see the option as shown below? And yours is a LTE model?

Anyone care to comment on Wi-Fi?-uploadfromtaptalk1336426557351.jpg

So you don't see the option as shown below? And yours is a LTE model?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1336426557351.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	24975

Nope, see attached. Yes, the AT&T Model with LTE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone care to comment on Wi-Fi?-2012-05-07_16-40-06.jpg  

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

I had horrible wifi reception. I tried all the tricks but nothing worked. Swapped out phone this morning. Wifi problem gone.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,427 Global Posts

For the sake of it, I changed my WIFI settings on my HTC One X to only look for 2.4GHZ, versus auto.

Let's see how it does over the next 12 hours, well, till I leave for work in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast