HTC One X vs iPhone 4S display

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
For people that have used both the HTC One X and the iPhone 4S -

How does the 4.7" (312 ppi) screen on the One X compare with that of the 326 ppi retina display on the iPhone? How do apps and home screens look in person on the One X? How about web pages? Does the text look as sharp as it does on the iPhone? If Apple made a 4.7" iPhone and it had the same screen as the One X, would you say that this screen be worthy of the label 'Retina' display?

neoenigma

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It's better than the Retina display from what I saw in the store. It looks as though everything floats on top of the screen. It's truly something else.

macguy59

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
It's better than the Retina display from what I saw in the store. It looks as though everything floats on top of the screen. It's truly something else.

In most respects I agree but the 4S is brighter (both devices at max bright with auto levels off). I'm currently a 4S user but preordered the One X for AT&T

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

A lot of that is the way the front glass is designed on the One X, and the bigger screen. In reality, the iPhone screen is still the better piece of equipment, but unless you have both side by side at all times you're not likely to notice a difference.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

I've been back and forth on which is "better," but the One X definitely has less air between the glass and the display.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I think it has more to do with the fact that the one x uses gorilla glass 2, so it's thinner than the iPhone's which reduces the space between the surface and the screen.

From what I saw, I think overall the one x is the better screen. The iPhone is still sharper, when I had web pages loaded on both I could make out smaller text on the iPhone, but the one x seems more colorfull and it's much bigger.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think it has more to do with the fact that the one x uses gorilla glass 2, so it's thinner than the iPhone's which reduces the space between the surface and the screen.

From what I saw, I think overall the one x is the better screen. The iPhone is still sharper, when I had web pages loaded on both I could make out smaller text on the iPhone, but the one x seems more colorfull and it's much bigger.

It's gorilla glass 1, not 2. Whoever makes the displays has done a very good job eliminating airgaps, though. :)

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
In reality, the iPhone screen is still the better piece of equipment, but unless you have both side by side at all times you're not likely to notice a difference.

How? They seem to be a draw. The biggest difference is size more than anything.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
How? They seem to be a draw. The biggest difference is size more than anything.

The iPhone has a higher ppi and is ips. Don't get me wrong, the One X has a very, very good display, but the iPhones is still better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Colorful does not equal better. (The galaxy nexus screen is proof enough of that.) Neither does size. The technology behind the displays is what matters. You yourself say that the iPhone is sharper. You wrote the answer why the iPhone has the better screen right in your own post.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Colorful does not equal better. (The galaxy nexus screen is proof enough of that.) Neither does size. The technology behind the displays is what matters. You yourself say that the iPhone is sharper. You wrote the answer why the iPhone has the better screen right in your own post.

the htc screen isn't like the over saturated stuff you get from Samsung (seriously, it hurts my eyes everytime I look at the galaxy note demo units in stores), it is like the new iPad where it has much more accurate colors than the iPhone. the iPhones screen looks washed out in comparison.

The bigger screen also helps a lot when it comes to navigation, media, and web surfing where you don't have to scroll as much. that's why I said overall I would give the screen advantage to the htc one x. if you want the sharpest display available, then yes I would say the iPhone is still the best there is in that regard.

@Kevin. I thought they were using gorilla glass, if that's the case then how did they get the glass panels thinner than the iPhones? Or maybe its just an optical illusion because it is a bigger display.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
the htc screen isn't like the over saturated stuff you get from Samsung (seriously, it hurts my eyes everytime I look at the galaxy note demo units in stores), it is like the new iPad where it has much more accurate colors than the iPhone. the iPhones screen looks washed out in comparison.

The bigger screen also helps a lot when it comes to navigation, media, and web surfing where you don't have to scroll as much. that's why I said overall I would give the screen advantage to the htc one x. if you want the sharpest display available, then yes I would say the iPhone is still the best there is in that regard.

@Kevin. I thought they were using gorilla glass, if that's the case then how did they get the glass panels thinner than the iPhones? Or maybe its just an optical illusion because it is a bigger display.

Don't know what iPhone you were looking at. I've never encountered a washed out retina display.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Having both devices I can say IMOP the One X has the better looking display simply because you can see it without squinting. The 4s has an amazing display without a doubt, but 3.5 inches is just to small for most media consumption these days. The One X is a joy to read on, youtube, apps etc is just awesome to view on the One X. If you shrunk the One X screen to 3.5 inches which phone would have the higher ppi.

The lamination process on the One X is the future of phones, as others have said it seems like the display floats under the glass. Hard to explain until you see it up close. Everything looks like it sits on top of the screen not buried under glass.

If Apple made this display I think they would call it Retina.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

They are using Gorilla Glass, but not the new version that was announced at CES. I'm not sure exactly what's been done to the display to make it look like it "floats" but whatever it is works. :)

Something people tend to forget about IPS is that they have one fairly significant weakness (depending on what you're doing). Response time. It hovers around 8ms, where the panel in the One X (which is a SPVA-based technology) is between 2-4ms. You get theoretically higher contrast ratios (depending on the use), and 80% of the performance of IPS without the additional lag.

EDIT: Still trying to confirm 100% that SLCD2 is a SPVA panel, although my research does lead me to believe this is the case. If it was IPS I'm sure HTC would be marketing it that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: KoukiFC3S

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't know what iPhone you were looking at. I've never encountered a washed out retina display.

Looking at my iPhone and putting it next to the one x, and yes the iPhone looks washed out. same thing when I put it next to my iPad 3. In fact if you watch the iPad 3 keynote they mention how much more color is visible on the new iPad's retina display compared to their previous displays.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Looking at my iPhone and putting it next to the one x, and yes the iPhone looks washed out. same thing when I put it next to my iPad 3. In fact if you watch the iPad 3 keynote they mention how much more color is visible on the new iPad's retina display compared to their previous displays.

Must have gotten a bum unit. My old iPhone, both of my sister's, my brother in law's, both of my parent's, and the 4s I have now are nowhere near washed out. There is no difference in contrast or color vibrancy.

UCLA 15

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
They are using Gorilla Glass, but not the new version that was announced at CES. I'm not sure exactly what's been done to the display to make it look like it "floats" but whatever it is works. :)

Something people tend to forget about IPS is that they have one fairly significant weakness (depending on what you're doing). Response time. It hovers around 8ms, where the panel in the One X (which is a SPVA-based technology) is between 2-4ms. You get theoretically higher contrast ratios (depending on the use), and 80% of the performance of IPS without the additional lag.

EDIT: Still trying to confirm 100% that SLCD2 is a SPVA panel, although my research does lead me to believe this is the case. If it was IPS I'm sure HTC would be marketing it that way.

IPS also tends to have a fairly significant advantage with colors. I bought a monitor recently, and based on my research most display enthusiasts say IPS or go home. Only gamers stick with TN. I also found that even though IPS is generally considered "better" because of the colors, cheap IPS displays are not recommended (which is why with my low budget I went TN). Has something to do with variations in IPS types (E-IPS vs H-IPS vs S-IPS, 6 bit vs 8 bit, and I'm sure there's other technical differences). How much of this translates to small mobile displays, I don't know. I'm curious to see what exactly the One X's display tech is.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Must have gotten a bum unit. My old iPhone, both of my sister's, my brother in law's, both of my parent's, and the 4s I have now are nowhere near washed out. There is no difference in contrast or color vibrancy.

I not saying it's washed out, I'm saying it's washed out in comparison. And its not just my iPhone, I've had 3 different iPhone 4' s and two different iPhone 4S', Ive looking at a retina display everyday for almost two years, I know how good the screen is. the screen on the iPhone is great, I have been using it as one of my main devices since it launched, but compared with some of the newer displays out its lacking as far as color saturation. I can have the same wallpaper on my iPhone and my ipad and you can imediately see the difference in color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac