Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the Swype Keyboard available for the HTC One X?

Or is it restricted to Samsung devices only? Sorry I've only ever owned one smart phone in my life and it was a Samsung Captivate. Swype is something that is very important to me and I'd like to know if I can install it on the HTC One X using Google Play?

Default Re: Is the Swype Keyboard available for the HTC One X?

I believe this phone comes with the HTC trace keyboard -- their version of Swype, but you can also download it here.

Try Swiftkey. It's simply the best!

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Slide it is a great alternative to Swype. I used it on my HTC desire before buying my Samsung galaxy s2. They both are great. But I also agree that swift key is excellent.
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

ROM
    Stock

Swype has bugs, on the One X. Somehow I'm unable to upload pics to show ya (Some problem with JPEGs uploading on the app), but sometimes the keyboard's really small. Becomes pretty useless after that. So then I have to switch to HTC Sense input and back to Swype to get it working. Other than that it's pretty awesome!

ROM
    Stock

Here:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the Swype Keyboard available for the HTC One X?-2012-04-29_08-46-47.jpg   Is the Swype Keyboard available for the HTC One X?-2012-05-01_18-05-01.jpg   Is the Swype Keyboard available for the HTC One X?-2012-05-01_18-05-15.jpg  
    Great Googley Moogley!

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.2.2

Quote Originally Posted by maxbemis View Post
    I believe this phone comes with the HTC trace keyboard -- their version of Swype, but you can also download it here.
    Yeah, the built-in Trace keyboard is pretty good. Behaves like Swype, and no buggy/shrinking keyboard. Go to Settings > Keyboard > HTC Sense Input, then toggle on the Trace keyboard. It automatically senses if you are attempting to type using the Trace strokes, or if you want to type by punching the keys.

I'm very happy with the built-in Trace keyboard, it compares well with Swype (although it's been awhile since I last used Swype.)

I can also vouch for SwiftKey. It's especially good if you repeat lots of the same or similar phrases because it learns word sequences and can be very efficient in those situations.
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...

I dig the built-in keyboard except for the arrow keys down below - if we could only remove those, it would be great.

SwiftKey is buggy (try erasing stuff in the Notes app), but it predicts extremely well - I am using it even though it's buggy.

wow, I kind of like those arrow keys. Currently with an iPhone 4 & one of the things I liked about the HOX keyboard was the directional arrows to move the curser. Considering the HOX or the S3.

The only problem is that those arrow keys take up a lot of valuable screen real estate (i.e. you can see less of what you're typing or responding to). I can see them being helpful too, but I use the screen to move the location of the cursor around (like on the iPhone), so don't need the arrows and would rather hide them.

I understand your point better. The larger screen of the HOX would probably allow for a more accurate placement of the curser by tapping compared to the iPhone 4. It would be a great option to enable/disable the arrow keys. Give users a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailindawg View Post
    The larger screen of the HOX would probably allow for a more accurate placement of the curser by tapping compared to the iPhone 4. It would be a great option to enable/disable the arrow keys.
    Yep, exactly my thinking as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kritin kapoor View Post
    Here:
    You know, I actually LIKE the size of that middle keyboard. I've been trying to intentionally reproduce it.

I'm not a fan of the stock HOX keyboard, so I downloaded the SwiftKey 3 beta which gives you the option of disabling the arrow keys. Imo way better than any other keyboard I've used previously including iPhones keyboard.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
    You know, I actually LIKE the size of that middle keyboard. I've been trying to intentionally reproduce it.
    If you do get to know how to reproduce it, temme how so I can avoid that. =)

Sent from my International HTC One X.

Quote Originally Posted by kritin kapoor View Post
    If you do get to know how to reproduce it, temme how so I can avoid that. =)

Sent from my International HTC One X.
    I may just email Nuance and tell them to turn that bug into a feature. I THINK I've got it figured out: you have to go to landscape mode, then switch to the Swype keyboard, then flip around to portrait, and so far it's staying as that middle keyboard.

HOX comes with swipe option no need to download any other keyboard.:thumbup:

sent from my Evo4LTE

Quote Originally Posted by adamtalife View Post
    I'm not a fan of the stock HOX keyboard, so I downloaded the SwiftKey 3 beta which gives you the option of disabling the arrow keys. Imo way better than any other keyboard I've used previously including iPhones keyboard.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

This!.

I can't be bothered to slide my finger all over the place. The larger the screen, the less useful swype is. Its not faster than Swiftkey, where you often never even have to type any letters because the entire next word is pre-suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury81 View Post
    HOX comes with swipe option no need to download any other keyboard.:thumbup:

sent from my Evo4LTE
    It's not a "swype" option, it's a "tracing keyboard" option. And the HTC keyboard is too big vertically, and even worse when the arrow keys appear, and there's no option to disable them.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Personally I like the TouchPal Keyboard.

Personal preference...

I might give it a go.

Am i the only one who gets the unable to parse error when trying to install?

Nope. I ended up using an apk I got from somewhere.

have switched it on but it doesnt seem to work?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast