Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: HTC One X vs Samsung Galaxy S3

The S3 is a big disappointment and looks like a flop. The design looks childish with the ridiculous rounded edges not to mention the sub par pentile display. :yack:

HTC One X owners who pre-ordered should be feeling pretty smart right about now.
    Thanked by 2:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    b) a Micro SD slot to add storage to the paltry 16GB (10-12GB usable).
    Dude let it go. Micro SD cards are a thing of the past. Time to move on. Google themselves don't think that SD cards are the way to go for the future.
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    Dude let it go. Micro SD cards are a thing of the past. Time to move on. Google themselves don't think that SD cards are the way to go for the future.
    Dude read my whole post and don't respond to only one line?

I'd rather have a 32GB or 64GB version onboard with no Micro SD - though I know they will charge an arm and a leg compared to what it would cost to add a $22 32GB Micro SD.

However - and note here that I called this OPTION B - if 16GB onboard is all they will give me I'd like to have the option of upgrading it myself.

I don't care what Google [or you] thinks is the future - my present self wants more than 10-12GB of storage space - whether onboard or Micro SD.
    Sedrick likes this.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

The Verge had this say between the two:

-------------------------
    "Where Samsung falls behind its direct competitor is in the actual feel of the phone. Although the sides of the white Galaxy S3 and the front of the dark blue version both sport a brushed metal look, they're made out of good old plastic. Alas, as much as we wished Samsung would move away from cheap-feeling (if sturdy) materials, the GS III is just keeping up with tradition. The glossy back is now more in keeping with the original Galaxy S than the textured finish on the Galaxy S II.

The main takeaway when you first pick up the Galaxy S3 is that it's surprisingly light. It weighs over 130 grams, so it isn't that much of a featherweight, but the sensation of holding it is one of weightlessness. It almost feels hollow. We're not huge fans of this, we appreciate a bit more of a reassuring heft.

We had to look really closely to be certain, but sure enough, this is another Pentile AMOLED display from Samsung. The big rumor going into this event was that the Galaxy S3 would be the first HD Super AMOLED display without Pentile spoiling things, but check out our macro shot below for some definitive confirmation (the signal strength indicator is supposed to be white)."

The S3 is a big disappointment and looks like a flop. The design looks childish with the ridiculous rounded edges not to mention the sub par pentile display. :yack:

HTC One X owners who pre-ordered should be feeling pretty smart right about now.
    Couldn't agree more with this statement

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by BodegaBay View Post
    The Verge had this say between the two:

"Where Samsung falls behind its direct competitor is in the actual feel of the phone. Although the sides of the white Galaxy S3 and the front of the dark blue version both sport a brushed metal look, they're made out of good old plastic. Alas, as much as we wished Samsung would move away from cheap-feeling (if sturdy) materials, the GS III is just keeping up with tradition. The glossy back is now more in keeping with the original Galaxy S than the textured finish on the Galaxy S II.

The main takeaway when you first pick up the Galaxy S3 is that it's surprisingly light. It weighs over 130 grams, so it isn't that much of a featherweight, but the sensation of holding it is one of weightlessness. It almost feels hollow. We're not huge fans of this, we appreciate a bit more of a reassuring heft.

We had to look really closely to be certain, but sure enough, this is another Pentile AMOLED display from Samsung. The big rumor going into this event was that the Galaxy S3 would be the first HD Super AMOLED display without Pentile spoiling things, but check out our macro shot below for some definitive confirmation (the signal strength indicator is supposed to be white)."
    I'm absolutely stunned they chose to stay with PenTile. Absolutely stunned!

Exactly. Neither does apple. SD cards are like cassette tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjcks View Post
    That pentile display will not match our HOX .... No way!

Click to view quoted image

Under the microscope: Samsung Galaxy S3's HD Super AMOLED display -- Engadget)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Is this the "over-saturated" look that many people talk about with the Samsung phones???

Clearly we know who the winner is in this pic.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJackson View Post
    Is this the "over-saturated" look that many people talk about with the Samsung phones???

Clearly we know who the winner is in this pic.

Hands down HOX screen is better. Really not even a comparison. I'm extremely disappointed with the PenTile choice. What were they thinking????

The GSIII looks great, but the number killer for me is that it won't launch here in the US until December. Well at least according to CNET.

I wish they would have stayed with the GSII's form factor though.

My captivate looks better than that ugly blue GS 3 LOL.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    The GSIII looks great, but the number killer for me is that it won't launch here in the US until December. Well at least according to CNET.

I wish they would have stayed with the GSII's form factor though.
    No chance it takes that long. June or July seems most likely. They're not taking it on tour in the US in June only to make us wait 6 months to have it...especially considering the Samsung exec's comments about not unveiling products then taking months to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidForMe View Post
    My captivate looks better than that ugly blue GS 3 LOL.
    The Captivate still looks better than most smartphones on the market today. I still say it's the best form factor on any phone I've ever used. Ok but this isn't the Captivate forum, lol.

ROM
    Stock

The one reason I didn't go for the S2 was Touchwiz. It's bad looking and didn't make me feel that I'd spent the money to buy a really great smartphone.... Sense 4.0 on the other hand makes the One x worth all the more.

Quote Originally Posted by kritin kapoor View Post
    The one reason I didn't go for the S2 was Touchwiz. It's bad looking and didn't make me feel that I'd spent the money to buy a really great smartphone.... Sense 4.0 on the other hand makes the One x worth all the more.
    I loved TW on my SGS2 (with gingerbread), the problem came when ICS arrived - it no longer worked as smooth, & because the design wasn't really changed - it no longer matched the design of the OS, the whole ICS-feel was lost & it just was badly designed, it no longer felt like part of the phone.

But I agree, sense 4 offers a nice experience indeed, I do very much prefer it over TW, but would I use a Samsung galaxy phone in the future ... absolutely, I had both galaxy s phones & other than my SGS2 needing a repair due to the charging port not working (after just 6 months), I had no operating problems with them, they are good phones.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Folks, you have overlooked one big advantage of sgs3 and that is high power user removeable battery. A lot of complaints are surfacing regarding poor performance of HOX Battery and users are stuck with this unable to increase the battery power. But I would still prefer HTC as it certainly have better build quality. My impression after seeing sgs3: " oh no, again that cheap plastic"

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kachowdhury View Post
    Folks, you have overlooked one big advantage of sgs3 and that is high power user removeable battery. A lot of complaints are surfacing regarding poor performance of HOX Battery and users are stuck with this unable to increase the battery power. But I would still prefer HTC as it certainly have better build quality. My impression after seeing sgs3: " oh no, again that cheap plastic"
    I agree, totally!

Its not a big advantage at all, its a user preference.

Sure, you can remove the battery - but by having a non-removable battery, you gain much more on design & feel.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

The AT&T HOX battery has been outstanding for me, besides the display one of the best points of the phone. I had over 10 hours yesterday and battery was at 50%. Heck even Engadget praised the battery of the AT&T HOX.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
    Exactly. Neither does apple. SD cards are like cassette tapes.
    You left out that Apple gives you the choice of 32 and 64gig phones...

Are you HTC shills going to pay for my unlimited data plan because I now have to download everything I want to have on my phone several times a week? Didn't think so.

+1. They have to know what a bad reputation PenTile has. I guess they've made their mind up to stick with it no matter what. Won't buy it just because of that.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I see what you did there. Touch.

Finally a SGS3 AnTuTu result, I say this as its the only true multi core test out-there, & is widely known to be the most accurate (forgot quadrant, only supports 2 cores and isn't reliable test after test)

SGS3: 11492

Here is my HOX:

Still think the exynos is SUPER?

My HOX isn't even running android 4.0.4 like the SGS3, just 4.0.3 here.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Plot thickens! Thx for results.

I feel compelled to point out that HTC does give us a choice of 32 gb of storage. ATT decided to gimp that. It is a minor difference but assign the blame where it should go.

I think the article from the VERGE said my feelings best. Towards the article the writer summed it up by saying this...

"I get it, most people think the future of mobile devices is in developing new software solutions, but even if I could keep straight all the S-branded extras Samsung enumerated at its Galaxy S3 launch, I wouldn't be able to tell you what difference they're going to make to your life. Not to say that they're all terrible, Smart Stay eye tracking is an interesting idea, but none feel epochally significant. And while hardware is growing less and less important, industrial design still counts, and the Galaxy S3 falls below the necessary threshold of a high-quality device (Pentile displays belong in the past), while also failing to maintain the Galaxy S tradition of offering a unique hardware selling point or two.

At best, Samsung matched the HTC One X. At worst, it indulged in a two-month delay of an MWC-worthy device, stoked a frenzy of anticipation that was unjustified by the eventual product, and jeopardized the still fragile growth of its brand reputation among smartphone enthusiasts. I'll leave you to decide which extreme I'm gravitating toward."
    Thanked by 2:

The only thing that lets down the HOX is the battery life because of the screen.....Even turning the screen down to lowest level doesnt really help much as u dont really get a days use out of it with modest use.

I do hope that the upcoming update sorts something out.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast