Galaxy SIII & One X Camera Shots Comparison

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site
The SGS3 photos here look really bad. They look even worse than SGS2.

I found another link where they compare SGS3 vs SGS2 shots. You can check it here:

Koniec wojny na megapiksele? Test aparatu Samsunga Galaxy S III

Here the SGS3 looks so much better compared to SGS2. Also you will find EXIF information in those pics.

cheers!

Definitely the photos here look poor, I agree completely, worse than the SGS2 shots as you say. I doubt we're seeing final camera firmware here though, so I think the only sensible thing to do at this point is wait until it's released and make judgement then.

...and to the inevitable question "Who even uses their phones camera?": Me. A lot. I have a good standalone but take a guess how often that's with me in comparison to my phone. Maybe you don't use yours, doesn't make it unimportant to everyone.

jenglish7

May 27, 2010
Visit site
May you help share the original photo?
It helps me to do more detail analysis.

Thanks,
Andy

Just download them using the "File" menu on the page; not from your browser's menu.

And One X's f2.0 Aperture does make some difference in low light situations compared to S III's f2.6

Spybreak

May 6, 2011
Visit site
There's something fishy about the SGS3 shots. They look hazy. Look at the one with the chandelier, the lights flare when they shouldn't. It looks to me like someone smudged their finger on the lens and that is causing the SGS3 shots to look worse than they should.

Not saying it was done un purpose, but its something that happens easily and a lot of people don't notice.

I think this is inconclusive.

Spybreak

May 6, 2011
Visit site
What about video quality?

Video from that polish site looks pretty good, but I'd wait to see a more "real world" situation to give a real veredict.

There is one big flaw I've seen on the SGS3 camera. On this picture (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1LJQHKtWlITRXlFaDU5MGMzVEE/edit) you can see how theres a pink hue on the center of the image; especially if you compare it to the One X pic (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1LJQHKtWlITU2RRQUpFOURlZ0E/edit). So it looks like as with other phones, we'll see pink spots whenever looking at grey/white walls.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I would take this with a grain of salt considering the device he used to take the S III pictures here is not the final retail device nor does it have (presumably) the same SoC that we will get in the USA - not sure if that would make a difference.

If you think that they have time to totally re-spec the camera between announcement and release date then you are totally clueless about the time it takes to design, build, and certify a phone.

The best you could expect is an attempt at a software fix, which, in the real world ends up corrupting the images further.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ashmiller

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Definitely more vibrant colors in all of the One X shots. The SGSIII also shows light streaking while the One X definitely keeps light next to the fixtures.

Mark_C

May 4, 2012
Visit site
At first glance I thought that the S3 looked awful. But on a second look its actually sharper in the picture of the roses in the hallway and the apples, the HOX images are soft.
The image looking down the street shows the HOX white balance is off (cold).

Its interesting to look at the indoor pic with the chandelier - the S3 has flare on the lights but better saturation elsewhere - the HOX looks washed out.

I think there is some camera shake in some images.

Why has all EXIF data been removed ?
What time were the shots taken - shops are closed, no-one about, odd.

How come you got to take an S3 out on the street when no-one else has ?

Given there is user error (shake or focus loss) and the S3 isn't on finalised software yet lets not get excited. Other cross references show the S3 way ahead of the S2 which uses the same sensor as the HOX.

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
For each picture I covered the bar at the top and asked myself which picture would I wanna have taken, n for each one, the one x won.

Dammit sammy, why did you make them all look so washed out. Could the OP have made an adjustment in the settings somewhere to deal with this?
I have a feeling it's possible. We'd just have to wait till may 30 to find out!

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the comparisons! The One X wins hands down against the GSIII. Like other people mentioned, majority of the pics that were taken with the GSIII look washed out and a little blurry to me.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
If you think that they have time to totally re-spec the camera between announcement and release date then you are totally clueless about the time it takes to design, build, and certify a phone.

The best you could expect is an attempt at a software fix, which, in the real world ends up corrupting the images further.

Are you kidding? I don't expect them to rebuild the whole camera. The hardware is not the whole story and firmware updates can sometimes improve camera quality.

It's obviously important to ask where the OP got his SIII and how old the firmware is. Furthermore if it's a demo model it's -possible- that it does not have final hardware.

It sounds like you want to make this a definitive argument against the SIII camera but my post was just to suggest that there may actually be some difference between the small sample size of pics we see in this thread and the actual quality of the camera on the retail units. I find it hard to believe you want to dispute that suggestion.

mtdewed

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Some were kind of a toss up. But for the most part ... The One X was sharper, but maybe a hair darker. I have an HTC Thunderbolt, which I know some complain about. But I always like the pics it takes. Both inside and out. I looked up some photo samples online before I bought it, and was amazed (for a phone)

mtdewed

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There's something fishy about the SGS3 shots. They look hazy. Look at the one with the chandelier, the lights flare when they shouldn't. It looks to me like someone smudged their finger on the lens and that is causing the SGS3 shots to look worse than they should.

Not saying it was done un purpose, but its something that happens easily and a lot of people don't notice.

I think this is inconclusive.
Is there a chance, the plastic was left on the lens?

S8B

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You have to be delusional to believe the S3 competes with the One X in these series of pictures posted.

But, I'm skeptical to believe that Samsung would have made the camera on the S3 so unimpressive. I guess we'll have to see in future S3 reviews.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
*rolls eyes*

Kind of clear there's something wrong with the SGS3 photos. The hazy, blurry look. It uses the same camera as the SGS2 and all the SGS2 photos, including the ones I take, are no where near this bad. The other pictures are definitely the One X. Telltale dark photo that's oversharpened with super punchy reds and greens. Never liked the look of heavily processed HTC photos and the excessive darkness. When all shades of gray get clipped and turned into black like a comic book, it looks terrible to me. My biggest gripe with the HTC One X and HTC phones in general is the horrid video and sound capture. Just so awful... You always see viral videos on youtube being taken with the iPhone, usually someone holding it in portrait mode because they don't know better or it just happened to end up that way. Super smooth and high quality no matter what orientation. Great sound. Doesn't go to utter crap in darker areas. It looks like a real video camera shot it, not the choppy and super ugly HTC lurid stuff that looks like you're streaming a video from youtube back in 2005 or recording with an old samsung slider phone circa 2005, which concidentally I use as a backup and it looks just as good on a sunny day. That lioness trying to eat the baby in a zebra outfit would be super jerky when pacing around and pawing at the window, not to mention the lurid colors. I would have enjoyed that video only half as much.

This stuff is really great, if you ignore everything else.

Last edited:

anon(645765)

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Even for a prototype, the Galaxy S III is using a newer sensor. To be fair, the One X is using the same sensor as the Galaxy S II and its amazing how a manufacturer like Samsung doesn't even know how to optimize their own camera sensor. I expected that it should perform on par with the One X as a prototype and the final hardware should be better than the One X given all the data available (faster processor, newer camera sensor, etc).