Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Stop One X from automatically connecting to ATT wifi hotspots?

    Does anyone know how to stop the One X from automatically connecting to ATT wifi hotspots, without turning off wifi on the phone?

    In the past, ATT Android phones have had an option to disable automatic connections to ATT wifi hotspots, but no such option exists on the One X. I turned off the automatic notification for open wifi networks, but this has no effect (the One X still automatically connections to ATT wifi hotspots).

    This is highly annoying, because the ATT wifi hotspots around here are usually pretty awful, and mess up any streaming music that I have.
  2. #2  

    Default

    Don't know for sure, but go to settings/wifi. Look at the top right of the screen and press the three vertical dots. This will take you to another group of settings for wifi. They may help.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Stop One X from automatically connecting to ATT wifi hotspots

    Quote Originally Posted by 1earful View Post
    Don't know for sure, but go to settings/wifi. Look at the top right of the screen and press the three vertical dots. This will take you to another group of settings for wifi. They may help.
    Thanks, but unfortunately, I already tried that - there is no option to disable automatically connecting to ATT hotspots. The only option remotely related is the option to disable notification of nearby open wifi hotspots (which I already have turned off).

    This is looking like an option that was intentionally left off, which is a problem, because every time I drive by an ATT hotspot, my network connectivity (and streaming/navigation) gets messed up. Annoying that HTC/ATT did this, and as trivial as this may sound, this could be a deal breaker for me with this phone (along with the bluetooth stability issues I have with my 2012 Camry).
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Stop One X from automatically connecting to ATT wifi hotspots

    I know what you mean about the hotspots. I've definitely been in some Starbucks where I'm checking something on the net and it's soooo slow! I turn off wifi and then my phone speeds along.

    On my iPhone, I was able to go into wifi and "ignore" the wifi name "attwifi". But, it looks like the app on the HOX won't allow that. Not a big deal for me since I'm not around those hotspots much.

    I also had to pair up my HOX a couple times on my '12 VW Tiguan to get it working right. Funny that you mentioned issues with BT on your '12 Camry.
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Stop One X from automatically connecting to ATT wifi hotspots

    Try going in and disabling the ATT Hotspot app in the apps part of the settings. That might stop it from auto connecting to wifi.
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Stop One X from automatically connecting to ATT wifi hotspots

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkomatic View Post
    I know what you mean about the hotspots. I've definitely been in some Starbucks where I'm checking something on the net and it's soooo slow! I turn off wifi and then my phone speeds along.

    On my iPhone, I was able to go into wifi and "ignore" the wifi name "attwifi". But, it looks like the app on the HOX won't allow that. Not a big deal for me since I'm not around those hotspots much.

    I also had to pair up my HOX a couple times on my '12 VW Tiguan to get it working right. Funny that you mentioned issues with BT on your '12 Camry.
    I have a feeling people will have a lot of BT issues. There was another post over on XDA that I responded to about it. The bottom line is if you can update your firmware on the BT unit you are connecting to see if there is a update. Other wise make sure whatever you want to stream audio/music from or through (AD2P) is the first thing you pair even if it is not the main thing you use as some units (or maybe the hox) will limit streaming to the primary device with is determined as the first thing you connect to.
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Stop One X from automatically connecting to ATT wifi hotspots

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdeck View Post
    I have a feeling people will have a lot of BT issues. There was another post over on XDA that I responded to about it. The bottom line is if you can update your firmware on the BT unit you are connecting to see if there is a update. Other wise make sure whatever you want to stream audio/music from or through (AD2P) is the first thing you pair even if it is not the main thing you use as some units (or maybe the hox) will limit streaming to the primary device with is determined as the first thing you connect to.
    Yep, I'll have to check that out. Although, it's all working okay for now. You'd think built-in BT in the car would be great but it's kinda been a pain for me.

    I'm pairing my HOX for phone use in the car and my iPhone as my media device. Add to that, I turn BT off on my iPhone to save battery and because it auto plays as soon as it connects. I'm waiting for the jailbreak to come out for it so I can download something to stop BT from doing the auto play thing.

    I feel like now that I've got it working...it's like, DON'T TOUCH IT!!! hahaha

    That was way off-topic from at&t wifi hotspots...sorry.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Stop One X from automatically connecting to ATT wifi hotspots

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdeck View Post
    Try going in and disabling the ATT Hotspot app in the apps part of the settings. That might stop it from auto connecting to wifi.
    Thanks for the tip! Didn't even think about going into apps to disable the ATT Hotspot app. I did that a few minutes ago. Will be interesting to see if that works when I go out later.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Stop One X from automatically connecting to ATT wifi hotspots

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdeck View Post
    I have a feeling people will have a lot of BT issues. There was another post over on XDA that I responded to about it. The bottom line is if you can update your firmware on the BT unit you are connecting to see if there is a update. Other wise make sure whatever you want to stream audio/music from or through (AD2P) is the first thing you pair even if it is not the main thing you use as some units (or maybe the hox) will limit streaming to the primary device with is determined as the first thing you connect to.
    The BT pairing for call use seems OK with my '12 Camry. However, connecting for media via BT from the HOX is a real pain. Media won't auto-connect at all, leaving me to manually connect each time I start the car. Half the time, the manual connect will fail, requiring me to stop/start BT on the phone. That usually gets the BT media working. However, I'm not 100% convinced that this is because of the phone. The Camry system is ENTUNE, and is known to have some BT issues of it's own - been waiting for the update that is supposed to arrive in the spring.
  10. #10  
    Phil Nickinson's Avatar
    Android Central Editor in Chief

    Posts
    3,807 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

    Default Re: Stop One X from automatically connecting to ATT wifi hotspots

    FWIW ... There's something definitely wrong with connecting to ATT wifi hotspots, and HTC's told me it should be fixed in an upcoming update. No ETA given.
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Stop One X from automatically connecting to ATT wifi hotspots?

    Were you ever able to disable this option. I have the HTC Vivid. There is no way that I've found short of turning off wifi to prevent the auto-connect to ATTWIFI hotspots, or to disconnect while in range.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Stop One X from automatically connecting to ATT wifi hotspots?

    Here's a mod over at XDA that requires root:

Posting Permissions

B