Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone NOT happy with their choice?

Morning, curious how you actually install the file?

I initially copied the file to the root of my device, the 'downloads' folder. Then I used Astro File Manager to try to double click on the file to perform an install.

Anyway, clearly I have no idea what am doing here, and a little guidance would be welcomed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macguy59 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Works great and looks a ton better than the 3rd party solutions

When you tap on the app in Astro choose open with App manager. Also make sure you check
    The box in settings to allow apps from unknown sources to be installed
    Thanked by:
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts

...thanks, that worked!

Quote Originally Posted by macguy59 View Post
    When you tap on the app in Astro choose open with App manager. Also make sure you check
    The box in settings to allow apps from unknown sources to be installed

Welcome. Learning on the fly myself.

No custom notification light feature.....phone is going back to ATT today. Outside of that it really is an amazing phone

Quote Originally Posted by verks View Post
    Go to xda and download the att vvm app. Proof, you have vvm. Works on my One X.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    In the forums? On the site? That place is huge. Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    To be honest, I'm still on the fence. I think, yes his might sound weird, but, I liked my Skyrocket better. Not sure why exactly yet...

Yes, the WIFI is an issue, but try setting it to 2.4GHZ, versus auto (from the One X). As for the email issue, you have to go into the settings for mail (if you use Gmail), and set the mail notification for ALL email, not just the first one.

I had the same issue yesterday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have it set to 2.4 Ghz. My problem is not that I lose the signal when I'm using the phone, but that I lose the signal when I put the phone to sleep. And yes, I have the Sleep Policy set to Always On, and I have the "Best Wifi Performance" box checked. Literally the instant I turn the screen on, my notifications are there waiting for me, but I simply do not get notifications on wifi when the phone is in standby.

With respect to push email, I'm experiencing these problems with the native Gmail app, which does not even have settings for push/pull. On all of my previous phones, I would get the emails within 5-10 seconds. On the One X, sometimes its 5 seconds, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 20-30 minutes, and once over an hour.

You do have auto. Sync ON in accounts and sync, right?

And in that same page, you have tapped your Google account, and checked all of the appropriate check boxes?

There's more to sync than just logging in.
    And as far as anyone can tell, best wifi performance does nothing but burn through your battery faster. It is not the issue here.

Could some one post a link to the ATT VVM??

Quote Originally Posted by jcochran1977 View Post
    Could some one post a link to the ATT VVM??
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

ROM
    H208

Quote Originally Posted by wrecked77 View Post
    I love this phone.. it basically runs circles around any phone out there.. I know the non removeable battery and no sd card slot are a major flaw.. other than that this phone is ridiculous

Man that's a deal breaker not a flaw lol.. It's disposable.. I don't want a phone that imitates my bic!! But I'm picky like that.. Enjoy..

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

I had posted in a thread for iPhone converts but I'm in need of help. Maybe I've got a lemon here but I've had nothing but problems! At this point, I hope one of you experts tells me I've just got a bad device and my experience is not indicative of the Android experience but:

1. Persistent reboots. Phone has restarted itself 6x since Sunday. I've had to reset it myself 3x more due to it freezing up and becoming unresponsive. I've not custom ROMs, nothing added other than a wallpaper, some photos and 6-7 apps (IMDB, USA Today, Scorecenter, ATT Message for VVM, Pulse and Words with Friends.)

2. Android.process.abcore error. As far as I know this may have to do with how the ATT rep transferred my contacts. I deleted and reinstalled the google account yesterday. Still got the error this morning (though, not since then).

3. GMail not always synching properly. Completely froze twice today, had to force close and restart the phone.

4. Messaging app (during a text) alerted me it had stopped working. Froze the phone. Restarted itself. After reboot, all conversations were gone. And now, despite the settings being correct, I get no notifications for new messages.

Perhaps its a testament to just how bored I was with the iPhone interface that I've not returned this yet. But I can honestly say other than for iPhone One (which wouldn't activate for 5 days!), I've never had this many issues with a new device before.

Any thoughts?

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by verks View Post
    Go to xda and download the att vvm app. Proof, you have vvm. Works on my One X.

I'm confused. Don't you need a rooted phone to add any non authorized apps? And isn't the AT&T One X bootloader locked and thus unrootable?

Doesn't get very good reviews. Crashes a lot. Can't hold a candle to Google Voice.

Seems mostly a safety net for iphone refugees.

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    You do have auto. Sync ON in accounts and sync, right?

And in that same page, you have tapped your Google account, and checked all of the appropriate check boxes?

There's more to sync than just logging in.
    And as far as anyone can tell, best wifi performance does nothing but burn through your battery faster. It is not the issue here.

Yes, just double checked -- Sync is On and Gmail (and Calendar and Contacts and a few others) are checked for syncing under my Gmail account. Honestly, I have no idea why. Like I said, sometimes it is instant, but more often than not it takes 5-15 minutes, sometimes even longer.

That is not it. You won't find it in the play store on HOX, need to download it and then install APK.

Quote Originally Posted by varsityhacker View Post
    That is not it. You won't find it in the play store on HOX, need to download it and then install APK.
    Yeah... didn't realize there was a whole seperate app called VVM. Fwiw, here it is in the play store, but as you said, you won't be able to install it on the HOX from there:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.vvm&hl=en

Can you post the link to the XDA Forum where you found the ATT VVM apk file?

Quote Originally Posted by BodegaBay View Post
    I'm confused. Don't you need a rooted phone to add any non authorized apps? And isn't the AT&T One X bootloader locked and thus unrootable?

(APK) AT&T Visual Voicemail for *ALL!!! (*See AT&T Rules) - xda-developers

maybe not. this is what someone on the one x forums linked to but i can't get it to update through the market.
    Last edited by maxbemis; 05-08-2012 at 10:29 PM.

i just got my GRAY HOX today and i have no regrets i have the iphone 4s 32gb and Lumia 900 and this by far is better i have had no issues with wifi i connected at home and at starbucks and when i came home it automatically connected to the home just fine glad i got this phone and love the cam....

Just a quick note.

On android you can install any apps through .apk, files without having the need to root or jailbreak whatsoever. Just go to setting and uncheck.check enable install from unknown sources.

Thats why for android you have multiple market for app and game, amazon, appbrain, htchub, samsung app etc. You can also install individual file downloaded. The only drawback of not using google play is that they will not be auto updated.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by aashafie View Post
    Just a quick note.

On android you can install any apps through .apk, files without having the need to root or jailbreak whatsoever. Just go to setting and uncheck.check enable install from unknown sources.

Thats why for android you have multiple market for app and game, amazon, appbrain, htchub, samsung app etc. You can also install individual file downloaded. The only drawback of not using google play is that they will not be auto updated.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2
    While true that apps will install this way, some do need root access to function.

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

As another note on visual voice mail...Even switching between iphones I have usually had to put in a call to At&t to get it to switch over. Something about the provisioning. About a ten min call. Had to do the same thing for my wife going from 3GS to GS 2... At&t messenger has worked just as well as vvm on the iphone on GS2 and also gives speech to text, as do the other apps suggested. There a bunch of apps that do this well on Android.

I am close to pulling the trigger at Newegg for the Global One X 32GB@$619. Still deciding on the Canadian unlocked version, with LTE. I think I need 32GB a lot more then I need anything faster then Hspa+. More concerned with the resale value.

Though the Tegra3 version has worse battery life, I think I can trust Nvidia to sort it out with updates. They have always been fantastic on their GPU driver updates.

Any one with the Global(Icebike?) confirm I can get a day out of it? I hear the Krait is getting 2 days.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Chex313; 05-09-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

There is no evidence that tegra-3 has worse battery life. For some types of tasks it in slightly slower, but nobody has measured battery life under comparable conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    There is no evidence that tegra-3 has worse battery life. For some types of tasks it in slightly slower, but nobody has measured battery life under comparable conditions.

yes there has been reviews done comparing both devices check engadget and just about every tech blog and podcast out there and they all say the S4 gets better battery life vs the tegra 3 just type it in your search.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast