Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dataquest#IM
  • 1 Post By say anything
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,548 Global Posts

Question Popup notification(s)

A bit confused here...

I was under the impression that for SMS\Text, emails, etc. there was an option to have new notifications popup.

Is that not the case, or am I missing a setting or something? Thanks in advance

Ivan
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,548 Global Posts

Default Re: Popup notification(s)

...anyone? Maybe I'm just to use to iOS with it's popups.

well, don't quote me on this, but I think all notifications show up in the top bar - there might be a third party app to mimic the iOS function?

Only iOS implemented that old school popup notification. iOS 5 finally got rid of that.

Notification bar Navi, it's all happening in the notification bar.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    Only iOS implemented that old school popup notification. iOS 5 finally got rid of that.
    They did...but they didn't. With iOS 5, you could get the pull down notifications but selectively choose which notifications would also trigger a pop-up. You could also get a pop-up banner flash at the top of the window.

Still getting used to Android. I did like on my iPhone that the screen would light and show the notification and then go off. I don't think Android does this (just the audio/vibrate notification).

I can deal with it. Can't have it all and some things just take getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkomatic View Post
    They did...but they didn't. With iOS 5, you could get the pull down notifications but selectively choose which notifications would also trigger a pop-up. You could also get a pop-up banner flash at the top of the window.

Still getting used to Android. I did like on my iPhone that the screen would light and show the notification and then go off. I don't think Android does this (just the audio/vibrate notification).

I can deal with it. Can't have it all and some things just take getting used to.
    I agree with you here. I'm also coming from iPhone and the pop up notifications are awesome. I wish that android would also implement this option for those that like it.
    gdgtgeek likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    A bit confused here...

I was under the impression that for SMS\Text, emails, etc. there was an option to have new notifications popup.

Is that not the case, or am I missing a setting or something? Thanks in advance

Ivan
    If you have a text or email come in while you are on the lock screen when you unlock your phone you can drag the text pop up to the ring to jump right to it. I have not tried this with any other apps.

Quote Originally Posted by dataquest View Post
    I agree with you here. I'm also coming from iPhone and the pop up notifications are awesome. I wish that android would also implement this option for those that like it.
    They are only awesome if you answer each one the instant it pops up.

Once you get busy, or have a lot of things going on, popups become lost, and useless.
    This is why Even Apple adopted the Android model of a Notification bar.

There are settings to allow SMS messages and a few other things to pop up on the lock screen in Android, and the HTC One series has a Lock Screen option under Personalize called "Productivity" that lists most recent events in calls, texts, email, and calendar.

Give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by dataquest View Post
    Popup notification on iOS is considered a drag, not well suited for mobile. Not a chance to arrive in android.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,166 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If you really want that feature a number of third party texting apps have it, like GoSMS or Handcent.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Also some apps like Handcent or Chomp will have pop up options built in for text messages but only for text messages.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,548 Global Posts

...you know when you've been hit with the Apple bug for so long, it is hard to break a habit

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Download handcent from the play store. It will give u the option for pop ups.

Go to Settings-> Personalize-> Lock screen style and choose "Productivity"
    Thanked by:

Hello!

You can try Popup Notifications, for having you incoming SMS show as pop-ups! Its market page is at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pnotifications
    It support per contact notifications setup and has great integration with the phones Lock Screen!

This project is going to support gmail, social networks and well as system notifications in the near future (like battery status notifications)!

I believe its worth giving it a try!

Thanks,
    sermojohn

You should try the app called Droid Notify

For something less practical and more whimsical try 'POPs Notification Wallpapers'

Now Faster & Smoother!

Quote Originally Posted by lucidlyseen View Post
    I like using NotifierPro too. It works with a lot of other apps and has a lot of customizations.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."

Try this popup with many functions for sms and calls: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ma.smartnotify