Power button...

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
For people like me that have been using the iPhone for ever and a day, it is so nice having the button on the main screen to bring the device to life...

On the HTC One X, and others, one has to press the power button at the top of the screen.

Does anyone know of an app that would either allow the volume buttons, or some combination of pressing on the screen to wake the device?

Thanks in advance

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
For people like me that have been using the iPhone for ever and a day, it is so nice having the button on the main screen to bring the device to life...

On the HTC One X, and others, one has to press the power button at the top of the screen.

Does anyone know of an app that would either allow the volume buttons, or some combination of pressing on the screen to wake the device?

Thanks in advance

Navi, you got rid of your iPhone and got an Android.

So don't try to make the Android phone into an iPhone. Just go back to iPhone if you don't like Android.

You don't want to press on the screen, the thing would always be switching On in your pocket. You don't want to use the volume because you use that to adjust sound volume even when the screen is off. An awfully lot of very bright people have thought this thru to get to the least number of physical buttons. Don't try to undo their work just to emulate an iphone.

aashafie

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Altough u been told to follow rules ofthe os, but the flexibility of android means that youcan find app to wake HTC one x by any button. However u need to be rooted to gain control of the button. Some Rom may enable this button as default (based on my experience with galaxy tab)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
...you took the words right out of my mouth!

Of course, I'm sure in time I'll get use to the power button at the top of the device. But, after using an iPhone constantly for years, well, you get my point.

I think what you are really saying is you wish the home button would turn the screen on like your iPhone , correct ?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
...clearly I stand corrected. Let me do as I'm told.

Come on Navi, cut me some slack, That's not what I meant.

:D

Its just that I think you are stepping over a slippery slope, especially when there is no physical button on this phone that can logically function like the home button.

Maybe the Sammy? The SG3 has that funky button down there at the bottom. Maybe they did that for recovering iPhone addicts.

/me... Running and ducking.

PS: Ever try just bumping the top of the HOX on your arm, or thigh as you take it out of your pocket?
I sometimes pick mine up off the desk, and just roll the top over onto the desk surface and it will pop on. I do this one handed.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, interesting tip, thanks, I may just try that. I need to get my Speck case replaced tomorrow first.

speckcase.jpg

When the device is in the case, it's like pulling teeth to press the power button, seriously...

Come on Navi, cut me some slack, That's not what I meant.

:D

Its just that I think you are stepping over a slippery slope, especially when there is no physical button on this phone that can logically function like the home button.

Maybe the Sammy? The SG3 has that funky button down there at the bottom. Maybe they did that for recovering iPhone addicts.

/me... Running and ducking.

PS: Ever try just bumping the top of the HOX on your arm, or thigh as you take it out of your pocket?
I sometimes pick mine up off the desk, and just roll the top over onto the desk surface and it will pop on. I do this one handed.

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Navi, you got rid of your iPhone and got an Android.

So don't try to make the Android phone into an iPhone. Just go back to iPhone if you don't like Android.

You don't want to press on the screen, the thing would always be switching On in your pocket. You don't want to use the volume because you use that to adjust sound volume even when the screen is off. An awfully lot of very bright people have thought this thru to get to the least number of physical buttons. Don't try to undo their work just to emulate an iphone.

Enter the center physical home button on my G-Note. I've never been an iPhone guy, but I still hate capacitive-only phones that force me to use a poorly placed power button (here's looking at you Motorola) to wake the device.

jonh918

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
lolz the power button on the HOX naked is kinda hard to push, but i'm not having any issues after i put on the case-mate tough case....

JayMysteri0

May 6, 2012
Visit site
When the device is in the case, it's like pulling teeth to press the power button, seriously...

I was at Best Buy today and took a look at what they had for cases ( 1 ), asked if I could try it on my phone. Same deal, I thought it was a pain to push the power button & passed on it.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
ive used an app called "Tap Tap App" one every one of my devices since the Fascinate. It uses the proximity sensor to perform a wake up. You glide your finger over it for half a second and the screen illuminates. No battery drain, either!

mooechili

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I got the HOX for my wife who has had a power button on the top for years, she loves it..I hate it. I'm using a Nexus S 4G, power button is on the right side and IMO is perfect there. It's very natural for me, easy, the perfect place and never gets pushed accidentally. Never will I have a top power button, but that's just me.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
ive used an app called "Tap Tap App" one every one of my devices since the Fascinate. It uses the proximity sensor to perform a wake up. You glide your finger over it for half a second and the screen illuminates. No battery drain, either!

That sounds awesome, I want to try this.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Silly question: where is the proximity sensor on the One X? I haven't had the chance to download the Tap Tap App just yet, but planning to tonight.

JayMysteri0

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Silly question: where is the proximity sensor on the One X? I haven't had the chance to download the Tap Tap App just yet, but planning to tonight.

It seemed to me to be on the left side of the AT&T symbol, it's like a line. I installed the Tap Tap App, but it seemed to react strangely with Go Locker, and it wouldn't allow me to unlock the phone. I had to restart the phone, to finally unlock it, then uninstalled it.

It's a cool idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non