Is it too early to form conclusions?

macguy59

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Bottom Line:

• Every flagship device will have issues/bugs
  • Every mobile OS has flaws/restrictions/drawbacks
  • Every person has different needs, wants, preferences, and opinions

My advice, just put about $30 - $40 aside for restocking fees and try a phone out for 29 days. :p

Only problem with that scenario is once you've used the upgrade on that line (even if you switch phones multiple times in that 30 days) you can't use again for another 11 mos. You can return the phone before the 30 days is up and get most of your money back but the upgrade is still considered "used"

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Only problem with that scenario is once you've used the upgrade on that line (even if you switch phones multiple times in that 30 days) you can't use again for another 11 mos. You can return the phone before the 30 days is up and get most of your money back but the upgrade is still considered "used"

I have never run into that situation since once I decide to do an upgrade I usually end up getting something one way or another. If that is the case then I would also suggest making sure you are prepared to upgrade and do research on what phones you are considering before attempting.

At the end of the day the consumer needs to be educated and aware of their purchases, buying a smartphone is an investment to one's personal/professional life. The internet is chock full of device reviews and information, whether it be bias or not. It's good to ask for people's impressions and experiences for a specific device online as you will get a broader view but asking if one device or OS is better than the next is counterproductive as that feedback would be entirely opinion-based. (It would be helpful for comparisons of functionality but not what is "better", or "friendlier", or even "sexier".)

DavidsTech

May 13, 2012
Visit site

This is false. At least with AT&T. I hope you where not talking about them because I don't know where you got that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Live4nyy.. your comment is exactly the way I'm approaching upgrading. Since it's been over 3 years since I got the iPhone 3G, it's time. Now it's a matter of reviewing the options and making the best possible choice. I have to say that the direction Apple is heading isn't attractive, especially with the news today about them removing Google apps from the App Store. As I said, the Apple ecosystem seems to be focused on making money above anything else (as if they NEED more billions in the bank, LOL).

Regardless, I'd really like to make a choice before the Fall when the next iPhone finally releases. And I'll also have to check with ATT about the use of an upgrade situation. I don't believe that if you buy a phone and return it before the 30 day trial period is up that you cannot upgrade again for another year. The logic simply doesn't make sense. Why give a trial period if the carrier is going to rob you from upgrading again when you're not happy?

Wise guy eh?

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
This is false. At least with AT&T. I hope you where not talking about them because I don't know where you got that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This is why I save upgrades for iPhones and buy the others at no commit price if I dont like it I go to att say I am not happy with it and exchange for another device equal or lesser value I have never been charged a restocking fee from a corp art store either. The day they do I will say the phone glitches and I want a exchange worked so far I guess since I pay outright they don't hassle me

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I switched from a iPhone 4s. When I bought it I was unsure if it would be as good as the iphone, i was telling the sales rep I just want to try it, if I don't like it I'll be bringing it back and going back to my iPhone. That was 4 days ago, in that time I have come to LOVE THE HTC ONE X. Frankly I have had the last 3 iPhones and they lack many of the features the OE x has. The one x seems much faster, has a better graphical interface, more customization, widgets, camera is just as good if not better, bigger screen, almost all the same apps as iPhone or something very similar, it has free cloud storage and streaming from google play for my iTunes music. Sure a lot of things are different, but once you just go with it it's not hard to forget about your iPhone. Most things that require a jail break or a app for the iphone can be done on the HTC out of the box.

The iPhone 5 will come out in October and if the screen is actually bigger it would probably be 4in at the max. It may have one nre feature or two, Siri will probably launch apps, or not. Regardless it will still lack a lot of the features the one x has. Apple is very good at giving you minor updates on the exact same phone. if your biggest worry is that you can't take your paid apps with you then you should buy a iPad 2. You get the best tablet, iPad 3 is another minor update, and all your apps can be used on it. This will also liberate you from being chained to the iOS phone Eco system.

I think you should try the one x and if you don't like it just return it and get the next iPhone clone in october. If your willing to really give the one x a chance you will love it.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
There are things about Sense 4.0 that I much prefer over iOS 5.1. Namely widgets and the way multitasking is visualized. Really like the WebOS way of dealing with running apps. Now about bugs . . . keep in mind you are MUCH more likely to see bugs/problems talked about forums like this. After all if you're happy with the phone and not experiencing "bugs" you probably are not posting on forums. I don't believe any of the problems are widespread. I've read every iPhone produced to date and have to say I prefer my One X over my 4S for most things. Now I may switch back if the new iPhone this fall is rocking a larger screen but for now I'm good.

I personally find multitasking in sense 4 to be horrible. It's not really multitasking at all. It refreshes almost everything instead of actually place holding it and storing it in memory.

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I think the multitasking on the one x is awesome, I have had no issues with it. I love the dedicated button to see the last apps used and the presentation looks cool. Unlike the iPhone it does not keep every app in a never ending list.

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Live4nyy.. your comment is exactly the way I'm approaching upgrading. Since it's been over 3 years since I got the iPhone 3G, it's time. Now it's a matter of reviewing the options and making the best possible choice. I have to say that the direction Apple is heading isn't attractive, especially with the news today about them removing Google apps from the App Store. As I said, the Apple ecosystem seems to be focused on making money above anything else (as if they NEED more billions in the bank, LOL).

3 Years? I'm usually looking for my next phone after 3 months :D. I wish I could get paid to be a "Smartphone Consultant" since I'm always researching them and trying them out (and subsequently returning them). The longest I ever owned one phone was my Atrix (11 months), I have tried 3 phones since including the Skyrocket, the Galaxy Note, and now the One X. Who knows, I might be eyeballing the Sony Ion next month as well. :)

One thing I know for sure is, I will be using an Android phone. :p

mgfjd12

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I think it is not fair to compare android users complaining about the HTC ONE X. My girlfriend was an Iphone user and she absolutely loves the HTC ONE X. She came from a limited IOS interface and she is loving the phone the way it is. On the other hand, I am a veteran android user and most of the complaints are because the phone is behaving like an Iphone no room to growth or limited in many forms. If you are an Iphone user you will be happier using the HTC ONE X, android power users are not so happy with the software limitations.

Guru

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I find it funny how people claim Apple's iOs is so bulletproof but I had an Iphone 4 and it crashed all the time. Buggy and froze up here and there. I find Android more reliable myself.

mztiklimit

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I find it funny how people claim Apple's iOs is so bulletproof but I had an Iphone 4 and it crashed all the time. Buggy and froze up here and there.

Just wondering, since I do have an iPhone 4 myself, what really crash/froze for you? Springboard? Stock apps? Settings? I'm glad to say nothing from the OS itself or the stock apps has failed one me since I had the phone back in 2010. Third party apps obviously shouldn't count, as that is mostly the developer's fault.

I heard someone say the same thing about Android, it was actually a third party app. :\

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, since I do have an iPhone 4 myself, what really crash/froze for you? Springboard? Stock apps? Settings? I'm glad to say nothing from the OS itself or the stock apps has failed one me since I had the phone back in 2010. Third party apps obviously shouldn't count, as that is mostly the developer's fault.

I heard someone say the same thing about Android, it was actually a third party app. :\

My wife owned an iPhone 4 and one issue she had for a long time was the lock screen, more specifically, just the "slide to unlock". Sometimes just trying to unlock it or sometimes when a call was coming in. The animation highlighting the "slider" would be going but it was just unresponsive to touch. Usually had to turn it off and back on. It wasn't necessarily "frozen" as we could still shut it off with the "slide to power off". It was like that from iOS4 to iOS5 until she got a Lumia. :)

She also had issues with the Home button registering no "clicks" or too many "clicks" but that could have been a hardware issue but from my experience with it I am leaning towards software bug.

Not trying to say Android is better because of it or anything like that but iOS still gets issues and bugs and vulnerabilities and etc...

mztiklimit

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to say Android is better because of it or anything like that but iOS still gets issues and bugs and vulnerabilities and etc...

Being a developer myself, nothing is perfect. Specially on big projects, there's always something that needs to be fix or improve. Always.

I hope HTC acknowledge most of the problems and provide a fix. I know a lot of people with other Android phones [with common problems] that have been long forgotten after six months of release because of newer phones on the market.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well I think Live4nyy is not the standard case since most people I would think stick with a phone for the duration until they have an upgrade available.

And where having the upgrade available is concerned, I just spoke with ATT customer service and they say that as long as the device is returned during the 30 day period, the customer is returned to the non-contract plan and the upgrade status is returned as before. In other words, returning a device does NOT cancel any further upgrade ability.

I noticed that the AC blog stated that stores are out of stock on the HOX, but Amazon shows it in stock and also dropped the price to $129.99 as well. The feedback here has been really mixed, though "Newtoandroid99" sure seems to like his HOX after 4 days, so it's obvious he did not get one that was defective. ATT also says is that if you buy a device from a third party that turns out to be defective, you can return it to an ATT store, which is nice, too.

I think I may wait a bit longer to see how many more issues pop up and then see if HTC issues fixes for them. As to multitasking, I'm not exactly sure how all that gets done in Andriod, though it must have similarities to iOS. In other words, if you're on a call, you can hit the home button and tap "Contacts" or a browser, etc. correct?

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
This is false when it comes to AT&T. I recently returned a Nokia Lumia 900 and when I did the return the rep explicitly told me that my upgrade has now been reset to not used and that I could get a new phone anytime at the fully discounted upgrade cost.

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Being a developer myself, nothing is perfect. Specially on big projects, there's always something that needs to be fix or improve. Always.

I hope HTC acknowledge most of the problems and provide a fix. I know a lot of people with other Android phones [with common problems] that have been long forgotten after six months of release because of newer phones on the market.

Yes, I will give Apple credit for actually taking care of their devices as far as support goes. Android manufacturers have a long ways to go to mending their relationship with customers for neglecting them.

Well I think Live4nyy is not the standard case since most people I would think stick with a phone for the duration until they have an upgrade available.

Yeah, I'm not a good representation of the average consumer in that regard but my wife does keep her devices for the full contract so I understand the importance.

My main point is that the individual has to take responsibility for their decisions. I see all too often people that end up regretting their purchase because they based their decision on what others have said. :confused:

Anyways, good luck in finding what you're looking for. :)

macguy59

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
This is false when it comes to AT&T. I recently returned a Nokia Lumia 900 and when I did the return the rep explicitly told me that my upgrade has now been reset to not used and that I could get a new phone anytime at the fully discounted upgrade cost.

Interesting. Not what they told me in Feb of 2011. Maybe the policy has changed since then or the sales person at the time was full of it.