Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was going to pre order an EVO lte tomorrow but I won't bother until I read that this issue is completely fixed. If it's by design, the design blows

davep1982

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
You won't be able to. They're stuck at customs until they resolve the apple patent infringement. And according to the recent posts by Android Central and engadget it is by design. From HTC itself.

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am on sprint network and I have the Htc Evo on pre-order. I just found out about this multitasking issue. How bad is it really? Some say that if you are doing one thing and you go to answer a txt that it closes down what you are doing before? Is it really that bad?

The EVO will be 3G phone only for a while. You definitely will not want things to have to reload.

neoenigma

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to open source... where we gimp core features of the platform and then reviewers conveniently leave out those bits to mislead everyone into thinking it's working fine!

I'm glad to see so many people in here deciding not to get the phone based on this. Hit HTC where it hurts - their wallets. They need to know how bad of a decision this was so they don't make it again.

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
It's a joke that not a single reviewer caught this before release day. They were in such a hurry to push out reviews that they didn't even use the phone. Oh, they covered the hardware and camera and screen and even Sense, but I fail to see how they couldn't have noticed this if they used the phone at all.

I bought it on release day. I was excited. Now I'm pissed and taking it back. It's completely unusable for me in its current state. Especially after going back to my Galaxy Nexus and experiencing true multitasking again. Hell, even my Windows Phone and iPhone do a better job of letting you switch between apps.

This phone had so much potential and this one little design flaw ruined the entire experience. I suppose HTC could reneg and release a software update later, but since they seem to be sticking to their guns, I'm not taking chances. I may consider buying it again if/when HTC comes to their senses, but it's not likely.

The worst part is, I see people claiming it's fine and that they don't mind. This is a modern smartphone. There's no excuse for multitasking to be this bad. Even if you think you don't multitask much, you're in for a real treat when you try to stream music in the background or use the calculator while you're in your banking app. How did this make it past quality control? Who decided that this was okay? Did someone at HTC think, "well, a lot of people bought the iPhone with iOS 3.0 on it, so they'll be fine with this"?

That's my rant. I'm so frustrated and annoyed that I have to take this phone back. The reviews made it out to be the best Android phone ever and it had so much potential. I shouldn't have to hack it and put a custom rom on it to make it function correctly.

say anything

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
It's a joke that not a single reviewer caught this before release day. They were in such a hurry to push out reviews that they didn't even use the phone. Oh, they covered the hardware and camera and screen and even Sense, but I fail to see how they couldn't have noticed this if they used the phone at all.

I bought it on release day. I was excited. Now I'm pissed and taking it back. It's completely unusable for me in its current state. Especially after going back to my Galaxy Nexus and experiencing true multitasking again. Hell, even my Windows Phone and iPhone do a better job of letting you switch between apps.

This phone had so much potential and this one little design flaw ruined the entire experience. I suppose HTC could reneg and release a software update later, but since they seem to be sticking to their guns, I'm not taking chances. I may consider buying it again if/when HTC comes to their senses, but it's not likely.

The worst part is, I see people claiming it's fine and that they don't mind. This is a modern smartphone. There's no excuse for multitasking to be this bad. Even if you think you don't multitask much, you're in for a real treat when you try to stream music in the background or use the calculator while you're in your banking app. How did this make it past quality control? Who decided that this was okay? Did someone at HTC think, "well, a lot of people bought the iPhone with iOS 3.0 on it, so they'll be fine with this"?

That's my rant. I'm so frustrated and annoyed that I have to take this phone back. The reviews made it out to be the best Android phone ever and it had so much potential. I shouldn't have to hack it and put a custom rom on it to make it function correctly.

that's pretty much where i'm at as well. i love so many things about this phone. i love the display, the battery life, the volume of the speakers and the design but the more i use the phone, and the more my apps get refreshed, the closer i get to returning it.

Last edited:

Google10

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
How do I calculate my 30-day window from AT&T? I pre-ordered on 4/22, phone shipped 5/2, and I received it 5/4. If the S III gets announced for AT&T before that window is up I'll have some thinking to do...

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
here is what happens when you try to do BASIC multitasking over 50% of the time on the One X. open maps, search for a place, get a text, switch to messaging to answer, switch back to maps, all your search results are gone and the app reloads. another example, open email app, start to write lengthy reply to email, switch to calculator to figure out some numbers for said email response, switch back to email, YOUR ENTIRE MESSAGE IS GONE and the app reloads. another example, start angry birds, be on your best run of a level so far, get a text, switch to messaging to reply, switch back to AB, entire game reloads and you have lost all your progress in the level.

Is this really true about multitasking on the HTC One X? If so, it is a deal breaker for me. No way I could live with that whether HTC designed it to work exactly like that or not.

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Read this in the comments section in Jerry's article in the OP:
Here is what happens when you try to do BASIC multitasking over 50% of the time on the One X. open maps, search for a place, get a text, switch to messaging to answer, switch back to maps, all your search results are gone and the app reloads. another example, open email app, start to write lengthy reply to email, switch to calculator to figure out some numbers for said email response, switch back to email, YOUR ENTIRE MESSAGE IS GONE and the app reloads. another example, start angry birds, be on your best run of a level so far, get a text, switch to messaging to reply, switch back to AB, entire game reloads and you have lost all your progress in the level.

Is this really true about multitasking on the HTC One X? If so, it is a deal breaker for me. No way I could live with that whether HTC designed it to work exactly like that or not.

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't really know why but my multitasking seems to be much improved tonight. I am able to switch between the rock browser and YouTube without either reloading. I'm not using the multitasking button though.

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've noticed I can't use such apps as JuiceDefender ultimate, PhoneLocator Pro or anything that is a background service etc

1 click on 'clear all' in HTC's own Task Manager App & they are gone.

Sure, I understand it says clear 'all' but this is badddd news.

I also understand its probably due to HTC's change in multi tasking.

However, regarding the In-built task manager app,

Other phones I've had only show regular apps that don't automatically start as a background service, HTC's task manager is clearing Everything.

What are people doing to work around this?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Op

Herp derp multitasking derp derp derpity HTC hurp derp hurp multitasking derp derp can't use simple workarounds derpa de derp android phone durpa hurpa taking back durp durp derp.

Credit to jerry.

Last edited:

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm stuck. I bought international. But, since you can't get them anymore due to Customs, I'm putting it on ebay.

Don't buy the phone until CM 9 is stable.

Its really sad about this issue. This is such a well thought out and designed phone. I guess they really were going for the iOS crowd with the non removable battery and no SD card slot.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Try xda, numerous good cm9 variants, pretty much complete. kinda silly to eBay an international one x with unlocked bootloader for the inconvenience of a couple weeks of patchy roms. And by silly I mean mind boggling. And the bootloader will be out for att in a matter of hours or days, xda got an att one x dev phone with s-off, etc. There's about 10 superdevs digging through the partitions as we speak in a race to get the almost 3000 dollar bounty.

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Herp derp multitasking derp derp derpity HTC hurp derp hurp multitasking derp derp can't use simple workarounds derpa de derp android phone durpa hurpa taking back durp durp derp.

Credit to jerry.

When I buy a new phone, I buy it for what it is, not what I can make it be. If you have to hack your device to make it function properly, it's not a good purchase. And contradictory to you skewed view of the world, not everyone is interested in hacking or rooting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox