4G symbol and wifi symbol on at same time?

SuttersX

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I just came from the Samsung Note and Skyrocket so it maybe a HTC thing but on my One X, next to the signal bars it has a symbol for both 4g and wifi being connected. On my note and skyrocket only the wifi symbol appeared with the 4g symbol popping up after i was out of range with wifi. The two symbols never appeared together. Is this normal for the HTC one x? I would hate to be using data and wifi at same time.
Thanks

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
It's more of an accurate representation as it still needs a cellular connection for calls and texts. One thing to notice, if you happen to live in an LTE area is that when it is connected to WiFi it should not be connected to LTE, just 4G(HSPA+) or 3G, as LTE is for data. Once you are disconnected from WiFi it should return to displaying "4G LTE". For anyone that doesn't have LTE yet I can see how this would be confusing as it would always say "4G" (or "3G" depending on backhaul).

Reactions: XxViperNYCxX

scottymomo

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I think this is normal for this phone.. when using non-wifi data you will see the little radar waves going towards the 4G symbol, otherwise you don't but it's always present.

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I see the same as well. 4G is there all the time (unless I hit a dead spot - I've seen E before). It is odd because my Nexus One would replace the H with the WiFi bars when I'm on WiFi.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is normal. You'll see that while on wifi the 4G icon doens't have the radio wave animation on it when using data. I think HTC did this to let us know what kind of network connection we'll fall back to when we leave wifi.

garyf33

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
HTC Inspire 4G owner here and ever since I got my device it showed both Wifi and H+ with checkmark below it until recently it started only showing Wifi but when leaving Wifi signal it doesn't always switch to the Network Icon, if that happens I usually have to go into settings, networks and uncheck and recheck mobile network to get it to come back on.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is not a bug. If the phone was using mobile data while on wifi then yes, it would be a bug. This is just an indication of the type of network you're connected to if you leave wifi. No animation is going on, which means it's not using the mobile network.

Reactions: live4nyy

tjoebgen

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for resurrecting this one.
Something missing from this thread seems to be the carrier. Last week, I received the 4.1.2 update from Verizon for my Samsung GS3. Before this update, the 3G/4G symbol was NEVER on at the same time as WiFi, and I've had this phone for almost a year now. I thought maybe it was a version specific change, but based on the number of people questioning it from a year ago, it may be carrier specific (but no one said who they were using).

My concern with this change is that, all of a sudden, my data usage has gone up. Now, when I'm on WiFi, I don't see the up and down (transmit/receive) arrows light up, so I'm hoping that it's not actually using that radio, but with the data usage suddenly spiking, I'm not so sure.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and it's the same thing. If you open settings while connected to wifi, you'll see that is says mobile data is not connected.

KAF79

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I hate to say this, I'm going back to Apple. I have so many issues happening with my phone.
1. The WiFi constantly turns off and shows a message that IP address cannot be found.
2. When it does stay connected for a little bit, it will switch back to data constantly.
3. Today, I get the WiFi icon and 4G icon at the same time. Wi Fi shows connected. Is it using Data or Wi-Fi.

ATT Tech Support can't answer anything, and the Samsung Tech Support are even worse.

Can anyone tell me what is happening. I really like the S7 Edge, but I didn't have these issues when I had my IPhone5S

Oh, and I also cannot get group texts from anyone who has an I Phone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007