HTC One X Root/boot loader unlock VS. Nexus Devices

j1787

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I am looking to purchase a One X.

I would be very interested in rooting and roming it. However, I only have experience with rooting/roming experience with nexus devices.

I'm wondering how much harder it will be with a non nexus device to root, and also wondering if it is even possible to change roms?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It is different, but not that hard. DO some reading over on XDA about it. There are a bunch of ROMs. I know the one I am using on my Rezound is actally a One X port. It is from TM PKMAN and they do great work.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Which one are you talking about the at&t one is only rootible and I know of only one rom for it. No unlocked boot loader yet. I know there are a bunch of them but I think they are for the other one x . GSM

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

j1787

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Pizzadude thank you!

Spacecasespiff, I am looking at the AT&T version not international.

Glad to hear I can root and my ultimate goal would be to flash a stock ICS rom. However I may like sense 4.0?

So if roms are available but boot loader is locked, what is the process? I will research on my own, just looking for a starting point.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I think the at&t one x which is the one I have might only have one and that's on droidhive.com made by Droid theory. A great Dev on the galaxy nexus. He switched from the gnex to this phone but still developes for the gnex. He has a sense rom and I think he is working on a senseless one as well. If you go to that site go to the forums/hacking/HTC you will find the root method. Then go to roms/HTC and you will find everything you need. Most of the roms that I see seem to be for the international one x. So just be careful.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think the at&t one x which is the one I have might only have one and that's on droidhive.com made by Droid theory. A great Dev on the galaxy nexus. He switched from the gnex to this phone but still developes for the gnex. He has a sense rom and I think he is working on a senseless one as well. If you go to that site go to the forums/hacking/HTC you will find the root method. Then go to roms/HTC and you will find everything you need. Most of the roms that I see seem to be for the international one x. So just be careful.

Totally wrong. Serious fail.

One X Roms: One X Android Development - xda-developers

There is something like 10-15 there including MIUI

ATT One X Roms: One X Android Development - xda-developers

Quite a few more than one in there.

EDIT: I just took a quick look so as to be sure I wasnt ed. You only have two kinds of One X's, ATT and international. None of the other carriers here in the US has it.

Both were rooted before it was released. Both have ROMs and kernels. The bootloader is locked on the ATT version.

Us Flyers fans have to stick together :)

Last edited:
Reactions: j1787

j1787

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Totally wrong. Serious fail.

One X Roms: One X Android Development - xda-developers

There is something like 10-15 there including MIUI

ATT One X Roms: One X Android Development - xda-developers

Quite a few more than one in there.

EDIT: I just took a quick look so as to be sure I wasnt ed. You only have two kinds of One X's, ATT and international. None of the other carriers here in the US has it.

Both were rooted before it was released. Both have ROMs and kernels. The bootloader is locked on the ATT version.

Us Flyers fans have to stick together :)

Awesome! Can't wait to get to work.. when I can get my hands on a One X that is.

Tough year for us man, but I like our future. It's going to be tough seeing Richie and Carter get another shot at it wearing the black and white. Hopefully they don't stick it right up Holmgren's ass and hoist hardware.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah how about it. It is gonna piss me off something fierce if they win the cup. I would absolutely cannot root for the rangers though. Can we get total Stanley Cup Playoffs do over?

wrecked77

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
After steam rolling the penguins.. and rolling over vs jersey.. It would drive me nuts to see carter and richards win...ugh...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry that I gave out some wrong info. I did not know that. I did not know that there were so many and that there were also kernels for it as well. I saw those but for what ever reason I though those were for the international one. I will go back an take a look. Now how can they Change the kernel if its locked and how safe is that. Also I've herd there is no clockwork recovery yet.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Without having the bootloader unlocked you won't be able to flash a custom recovery. Which means you can't make any back ups of any roms through ROM Manager or Clockwork Mod.

Me? I'm waiting for the bootloader to get unlocked so I can have a custom recovery before I start doing thing like flashing roms.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
See that's where I wasn't thinking. You do have roms just can't flash them. But then again why was I able to have recovery on my dx and d3 both were locked. And I also am waiting for clockwork. But then again im really liking sense 4.0 to the point I might not root and rom it. Phones running fantastic. But who knows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87