Apple: Get A Life!!!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
+1 on that post Cory! Warming up for the podcast Thursday night are we?

FYI, I really appreciate hearing an Apple (iMac) user speak up about their concerns on the direction its going. Very honest and much appreciated to hear this instead of the usual Apple talk of superiority.

I agree. I think if more people understood that these opinions were formed by personal experience, then they can understand the perspective and its "legitimacy."

Myself, I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro, have owned 2 MB's, 3 iPod's, and 1 iPad. I wouldn't say I'm frustrated, I just realize what Apple is and what it is not.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Then enlighten me.

Any company that has a public speaker, who responds to public emails, and has a cult status following can be personified.

Apple is synonymous for Steve Jobs.

That company can definitely be personified because Steve was a tyrant and all of Apple's rules, their secrets and their policies were probably dictated to the company by Steve Jobs.

He strived for perfection and accepted nothing less.

He ruled that company much like a dictator rules a country, with an iron fist. He had so much power at that company, and you know why? Because he didn't think of quarterly profits. He through of long term profits, something almost every company in the world doesn't. It is why Apple is the #1 most valuable company in the world. Shareholders gave Steve this power because they were using caterpillars to bring in mountains of $$.

When we think of Apple, and IOS, we think of Steve Jobs.

When we think of it's walled garden, its restrictive OS, we think of Steve Jobs.

They were one in the same.

Last edited:

hayate01

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I think this has become more of a "Lets trash Apple" thread than what actually Apple is doing here to HTC. Software patents.. which in the first place, I personally don't approve, since I detest the very logic of software patents.. Specially the absurdity of the patent at hand. But I digress, we can't do nothing there. So we have to be glad HTC moved quickly to fix the issue. Now, if only customs would move a little faster...

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
So we have to be glad HTC moved quickly to fix the issue. Now, if only customs would move a little faster...
There was no issue to fix, the phones don't infringe that patent.

So, customs have basically held them for nothing, that's why people are pissed off.

Luckily for UK users, we don't have none of this rubbish. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Trash apple thread? Nah.
What dmmarck said here is pretty much dead on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Really? How are they not stale? An OS that has barely changed since 2007/2008, with the notable exceptions of poaching notifications, quasi-multi-tasking, and voice actions from a certain other OS. A design--the double glass slate design, specifically--that hasn't changed in what, 2 years now? A design theme, generally, of wrapping aluminum in the same general shape around everything, notably MacBooks, iMacs, and the iPad(s).

How is that not stale? HTC has at least evolved their design and look. The jury's out on Samsung (at least IMO), but really, when you match up the products from 2007 to now, Apple stops growing past minor internal updates (and Siri, et al.) while HTC and Android have grown in leaps and bounds.

How is that being a cretin? How is simple observation and comparison doing anything other than raising a point of opinion, namely that Apple has essentially ceased "crazy development" and has started to take the defensive route to success?

It seems like your post is simple trying to bait said fanatical administrator in an argument, because expressing an opinion (regardless of whether you agree, really) should never render anyone "stupid, obtuse, or mentally defective." "

And what sniffs says here is true as well.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Any company that has a public speaker, who responds to public emails, and has a cult status following can be personified.

Apple is synonymous for Steve Jobs.

That company can definitely be personified because Steve was a tyrant and all of Apple's rules, their secrets and their policies were probably dictated to the company by Steve Jobs.

He strived for perfection and accepted nothing less.

He ruled that company much like a dictator rules a country, with an iron fist. He had so much power at that company, and you know why? Because he didn't think of quarterly profits. He through of long term profits, something almost every company in the world doesn't. It is why Apple is the #1 most valuable company in the world. Shareholders gave Steve this power because they were using caterpillars to bring in mountains of $$.

When we think of Apple, and IOS, we think of Steve Jobs.

When we think of it's walled garden, its restrictive OS, we think of Steve Jobs.

They were one in the same. "

Plus Apples all proprietary products. I can use your Motorola, HTC, LG, chargers to charge
my Samsung phone. I like the expandability, variety, and freedom of Android more
than Apple.

Apple makes great products, they just don't play well with others nor do they want to.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Cory,

Can the readers of AC expect the same sort of outrage and disgust at Verizon, ATT, HTC and Carrier IQ? I'm ok with you having an opinion and I'm glad you seem to be the only reasonable member of the podcast (which I've since unsubsribed from), but it seems like your colleagues deride anyone for doing what you yourself did in this thread. Rant, take a stand, blow off steam and demand more from the companies we patronize.

Am I wrong?

Reactions: chevyman29

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I normally post on iMore as a primary Apple user, but I'll chime in.

As an Apple user since 2002, I'm really not thrilled with the direction that iOS is going in. I think so much of it is dumbed down that I can't really do what I want with it, so I'm considering selling my iPhone and going to the One X, even though that would entail switching back to AT&T over Verizon.

I have no problem with Apple seeking damages for features that are stolen. The problem becomes when they try to block off devices that don't even offend the ban in question. It goes too far, IMO.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Cory,

Can the readers of AC expect the same sort of outrage and disgust at Verizon, ATT, HTC and Carrier IQ? I'm ok with you having an opinion and I'm glad you seem to be the only reasonable member of the podcast (which I've since unsubsribed from), but it seems like your colleagues deride anyone for doing what you yourself did in this thread. Rant, take a stand, blow off steam and demand more from the companies we patronize.

Am I wrong?

I can't remember a time that Samsung, Verizon, and HTC (particularly) last year didn't get some sort of vitriol.

Hell, the Galaxy Nexus subforum speaks for itself on this, particularly with the mythical 4.0.4/4.0.5 update.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I can't remember a time that Samsung, Verizon, and HTC (particularly) last year didn't get some sort of vitriol.

Hell, the Galaxy Nexus subforum speaks for itself on this, particularly with the mythical 4.0.4/4.0.5 update.

From members?, for sure.

From Phil Nickinson and Jerry Hilderbrand? Hardly.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Let's be honest, Apple is not going anywhere soon. Just because Android is maybe leading in market means nothing. Because you sold more doesn't mean it's better. You see more Toyota Camery's one the road than MB C Class. Does that mean that Camery's are better? A lot of Android phone can be had free with a new contract. Of course they would gain market share. But Apple is still kings. What do you see used in movies and what do celebrities use? You always see Apple products on the big screen. What are some schools buying their students? iPads not Android tablets. I work for the Federal Government. Guess what they are getting us to replace Blackberries. iPhone's. What do real musicians use for music? Apple products. You would get laughed at if you ran a studio with Windows stuff. You see what I'm getting at here? Apple isn't going anywhere.

I disagree with this statement... It's hard to compare cars and phones.... Cars have a completely different price bracket which matters to consumers. Also you are right with one thing. iPhones and iPads are a wanted items in the celebrity, musical, social realm souly based on the incredible ability of advertising ONE product to consumers with ease of use. Does this mean it's a better product.... I dont think so. heaven forbid you drop it... shattered iPhone. And pay $150 for a new one. Thats where all there growth comes from.

People have been duped by Apple that there product is Quality.... which I dont see. (Who makes a phone out of all glass... honestly) and they keep pooring there money into that company.

Apple did some things great, but for someone to say they have the best phone/tablet doesnt make sense to me. They have been brainwashed.

And I do think it is only fair to rant about other companys as well when they try to sue over patents, etc. We can all learn from each other and ultimitly help out the consumers. Although I think Apple takes the cake at the moment. It erks me when someone takes an idea from Apple, (apple sues) then turns around and take and idea from android. (______ company sues back) so who is the winner???? Not us

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
From members?, for sure.

From Phil Nickinson and Jerry Hilderbrand? Hardly.

Are you sure they've never criticized or ranted about any of those topics--through either the forum, the main site, their own blogs, their twitter accounts, their facebook accounts, their G+ accounts, etc.?

Regardless, why does it matter? This is a site with a stated focus, purpose, and demographic. The fact that we have an administrator, moderator, or whatever that ascribes to that purpose should be of no surprise whatsoever.

Furthermore, I don't see any indication from any of his posts that he's passing any opinion off as fact. Sure, he uses stronger language; but this is a forum, a place to expound opinions. If folks believe that his opinion = fact by virtue of his position, then that's somewhat foolish and misguided IMO--just b/c he's the "boss" doesn't make his word "gospel," and like you or I, he has the right to get a bit saucy every once in a while. Perhaps I'm just reading it differently?

That being said, I agree with his opinion wholeheartedly, and backed it up. Instead of dickering with the idea (or nonissue, really) of Cory's ability (or supposed inability) to expound and discuss his opinion, why can we not focus on what his opinion conveyed--that Apple is the bane of our existences? (I keed, I keed).

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Cory,

Can the readers of AC expect the same sort of outrage and disgust at Verizon, ATT, HTC and Carrier IQ?

Am I wrong?

Eh I don't know. I might just go back to lurking and leave the rants up to you guys :p

Just don't show me any more pictures of cargo ships with crates of EVO/One X phone's in them. It brings out the worst in me.

Phil & Jerry operate under a high level integrity, but a forums person and a journalist don't necessarily express themselves the same way. I would have put a lot more thought into my first post if I were trying to get Apple on the horn every now and then.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Eh I don't know. I might just go back to lurking and leave the rants up to you guys :p

Just don't show me any more pictures of cargo ships with crates of EVO/One X phone's in them. It brings out the worst in me.

Phil & Jerry operate under a high level integrity, but a forums person and a journalist don't necessarily express themselves the same way. I would have put a lot more thought into my first post if I were trying to get Apple on the horn every now and then.

I don't see a reason for you to hold back. Your interaction and participation show why you are "the boss" And if you're irked at Apple then it's good to let us know. This has become a hot button issue and it's reflected by the commenter's ire and distress.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Why? Care to explain?

Every single other Android fan site has the site editors, owners, admins, posting opinions.. Why should this site by any different.

Go back and listen to the most recent podcast. Phil and company did a little bit of explaining.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I disagree, Cory.

Any company in the corrupt mobile space would do this. Whether we like it or not, it's business. Apple did it to HTC (which, admittedly, is particularly annoying because of HTC being the "underdog" and offering such great hardware). But do we really think that HTC would hesitate in doing it to Apple? Or that Samsung or Motorola wouldn't do this?

Last edited:

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
What has Apple done?

A market leader, the biggest company by value in the world, #1 in most things it does, uses the ITC to block the sales of an HTC product.

That's like me going out of my way to chase down an ant to step on it so it doesn't walk onto my driveway. The One X will never make a dent, won't even make a pin prick in Apple's market share, yet they had it temporarily blocked... you have to ask... why?

Apple re-invented the smartphone, no question about it, but somewhere along the way, they stopped innovating and are grasping for air as they sink.. Rather than put their hard hats on and re-innovate, they are suing. I feel they are acting like a spoiled little girl who doesn't get her way..

For Apple, it's personal. To me, and Cory it's anti-consumer. If you don't see it, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
What has Apple done?

A market leader, the biggest company by value in the world, #1 in most things it does, uses the ITC to block the sales of an HTC product.

That's like me going out of my way to chase down an ant to step on it so it doesn't walk onto my driveway. The One X will never make a dent, won't even make a pin prick in Apple's market share, yet they had it temporarily blocked... you have to ask... why?

Apple re-invented the smartphone, no question about it, but somewhere along the way, they stopped innovating and are grasping for air as they sink.. Rather than put their hard hats on and re-innovate, they are suing. I feel they are acting like a spoiled little girl who doesn't get her way..

For Apple, it's personal. To me, and Cory it's anti-consumer. If you don't see it, I don't know what to tell you.

You say all of that as if Motorola, Samsung, or HTC wouldn't do the same if they had the chance. It's business. It can suck, sure. I'd be a little more against Apple if the delay was more than, oh, say, 4 days. If there was a legitimate violation, then it should be investigated, as should any (and all) violations Apple makes against what HTC does. If anything is wrong here, it's that Apple hired the more clever lawyers.

Second, I have serious issues about your "grasping for air as they sink." Is that really what is happening to Apple? Are you seriously contending that the most valuable company in the world, the one that constantly beats expectations, that tends to offer some of the most high-quality products available, is sinking? My friend, I don't know what to tell you.

I realize that I sound like an Apple apologist on the scale of John Gruber. That isn't my point; my point is this: it's business. Everyone would do this. Let's not put HTC/Samsung/Google/[insert company name here] on a pedastal, while we throw Apple in to the dunce corner. From my point of view, I assume that all of these companies are equally evil. These knee-jerk reactions from people who should know to be more mature are ridiculous, and un-called for. This is a forum, and he is entitled to a rant. Therefore, so am I. I suppose I'm exercising that privilege.

Reactions: Ry