Apple: Get A Life!!!

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
That isn't my point; my point is this: it's business. Everyone would do this.

I understand what you are trying to say but to make a definitive general statement like that is saying that every business out there would do this is plain wrong. I for one know several businesses that refuse to stoop to others levels to gain a few bucks. I for one run one said company. I might not be the biggest company out there I might not be the richest person out there but I make damned sure that my customers know that they come first and foremost. I also make sure that if they decide to ever leave my business that they are thanked for thier time with us and that they will always be a valued member.

and No, I'm not a writer for a living (thank goodness) so my grammer sucks.

Reactions: _JKK_ and sniffs

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I understand what you are trying to say but to make a definitive general statement like that is saying that every business out there would do this is plain wrong. I for one know several businesses that refuse to stoop to others levels to gain a few bucks. I for one run one said company. I might not be the biggest company out there I might not be the richest person out there but I make damned sure that my customers know that they come first and foremost. I also make sure that if they decide to ever leave my business that they are thanked for thier time with us and that they will always be a valued member.

and No, I'm not a writer for a living (thank goodness) so my grammer sucks.

No, you're right. I shouldn't have been so broad with that statement. That was a little low, and I apologize to people like you that power the economies of the world.

I should have structured it like this: you don't succeed in the cut-throat game that is the mobile business without having a shady side. While I agree that, in a perfect world, these companies would realize that their "copying" ideas was only going to end up pushing the envelope forward, the mobile space isn't like this. We see every day how all the carriers (in the US, at least, which is where this particular issue is taking place) try to suck out just one more penny, take away plans and force customers on to others, and have close enough to a monopoly to fix the prices. I don't believe that Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Apple, and various others are immune from this.

I guess I'm saying that the mobile space is corrupt. Corruption is never good for consumers, but I also think that it is silly to blindly hate Apple for making a decision that others in the same space would have made. If you want to get angry about something, go look at your wireless bill and complain about that. ;)

It is a little sad that Apple went after the underdog, HTC, in this fight, but it wasn't particularly surprising.

And lol. Hey. Grammar doesn't really matter that much. :)

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
You say all of that as if Motorola, Samsung, or HTC wouldn't do the same if they had the chance. It's business. It can suck, sure. I'd be a little more against Apple if the delay was more than, oh, say, 4 days. If there was a legitimate violation, then it should be investigated, as should any (and all) violations Apple makes against what HTC does. If anything is wrong here, it's that Apple hired the more clever lawyers.

Second, I have serious issues about your "grasping for air as they sink." Is that really what is happening to Apple? Are you seriously contending that the most valuable company in the world, the one that constantly beats expectations, that tends to offer some of the most high-quality products available, is sinking? My friend, I don't know what to tell you.

I realize that I sound like an Apple apologist on the scale of John Gruber. That isn't my point; my point is this: it's business. Everyone would do this. Let's not put HTC/Samsung/Google/[insert company name here] on a pedastal, while we throw Apple in to the dunce corner. From my point of view, I assume that all of these companies are equally evil. These knee-jerk reactions from people who should know to be more mature are ridiculous, and un-called for. This is a forum, and he is entitled to a rant. Therefore, so am I. I suppose I'm exercising that privilege.

Apple IS grasping for air as far as iOS marketshare goes. They watched their leader position be usurped by Android in almost no time.

The last few versions of iOS have really not brought anything to the table that Android hasn't had in one form or another for well over a year. Every iOS release they are already behind the curve. Every hardware release, they are already behind the curve.

The problem I have is Apple is being the sole aggressor in these lawsuits. HTC, Motorola, Samsung, only counter sued AFTER Apple sued them.

If Apple sued less and innovated more, I'm sure there'd be muuuuuuch less hatred towards it as a company.

Think about this for a sec, every single Android user out there could potentially be an iPhone 5 user.. Apple needs to WIN us back through innovation, not sue the Android companies so our only option is to be forced back to Apple.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Quite the drama queen, aren't you Cory?

Luckily, the site has the much more reasonable Jerry Hildenbrand, Phil Nickinson, and various others to level out this silly (and immature) rant. I have to ask, though: What has Apple done to you to make you hate them so, Cory? I've followed the site since Phil came on board, and you seem to be one of the most passionate anti-Apple people who has any weight on the internet. I'd like to believe that it is more than blind hate, but I'm starting to doubt that.

You should take a look at this thread. It's only a day old.

The word Apple rarely pops out of my mouth except when I'm telling people I wish I could buy a PC or laptop that looked as good as theirs. I think you're confusing me with someone else. In fact, if you can find a thread in this forum where I go on a rant about Apple, I will buy and use an iPhone for a month. I'll even give you a head start.

Reactions: prissysox

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Apple IS grasping for air as far as iOS marketshare goes. They watched their leader position be usurped by Android in almost no time.

The last few versions of iOS have really not brought anything to the table that Android hasn't had in one form or another for well over a year. Every iOS release they are already behind the curve. Every hardware release, they are already behind the curve.

I'm a fan of Apple, in the general sense. And I want to say that Apple, under Jobs (as in: this could change with Cook), was always more about profit share. If you look at that pie chart, they are "winning," even with significantly less market share. In that regard, which is the way that Apple under Jobs has historically focused on, they are doing fantastically. We can argue about their hardware or software, but we would only be stating opinions, and arguing on the internet like that is pointless. Let's just agree to disagree (with the fact that my main phone is a Galaxy Nexus being known, so I may agree with you in many regards).

The problem I have is Apple is being the sole aggressor in these lawsuits. HTC, Motorola, Samsung, only counter sued AFTER Apple sued them.

If Apple sued less and innovated more, I'm sure there'd be muuuuuuch less hatred towards it as a company.

As a former HTC guy, I totally get that point of view. I agree that these lawsuits seem a little ridiculous, but Apple isn't the *only* agressor. Plenty of cases have been initiated against Apple by these OEMs. Again, agree to disagree (more or less).

Think about this for a sec, every single Android user out there could potentially be an iPhone 5 user.. Apple needs to WIN us back through innovation, not sue the Android companies so our only option is to be forced back to Apple.

But Apple doesn't care about almost anyone on this forum. In the US, only 50% of people have smartphones. Apple sees that as 155,795,958 potential customers which (no offense to AC) is quite a few more people than are on this forum.

Also, Apple innovated just as much as any other OEM does today.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
You should take a look at this thread. It's only a day old.

I suppose we'll see how long it ends up taking, then. If it's longer than a week, I'll take back what you said. Not because I think that it is wrong, but simply because I have a soft spot for the company that made the Nexus One.

The word Apple rarely pops out of my mouth except when I'm telling people I wish I could buy a PC or laptop that looked as good as theirs. I think you're confusing me with someone else. In fact, if you can find a thread in this forum where I go on a rant about Apple, I will buy and use an iPhone for a month. I'll even give you a head start.

No, I don't think I've ever read a thread of you ranting about Apple. Of course, if I were going to be a smartass I would point you here. That one would seem to make up for a lack of ranting in the past.

My post was mainly surrounding the podcast, which is obviously much less searchable. Perhaps I am mistaken, but various instances in the past of you giving anti-Apple remarks stick in my mind.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
They are winning if you count iPhone vs HTC One X, or iPhone vs Galaxy Nexus, etc., but you can't count it like that. It's technically iOS vs Android because Apple sells an iPad, iPod and Apple TV(I believe this runs iOS too, no?)

In any event, Apple needs to care about potential customers as much as it does it's current loyal ones. After all, it didn't get to be the #1 most valuable company in the world on it's own. Without people buying it's products, it'd be Apple of 1997 still and it needs to realize that.

Reactions: aggie and _JKK_

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
They are winning if you count iPhone vs HTC One X, or iPhone vs Galaxy Nexus, etc., but you can't count it like that. It's technically iOS vs Android because Apple sells an iPad, iPod and Apple TV(I believe this runs iOS too, no?)

In any event, Apple needs to care about potential customers as much as it does it's current loyal ones. After all, it didn't get to be the #1 most valuable company in the world on it's own. Without people buying it's products, it'd be Apple of 1997 still and it needs to realize that.

Well, sure it's iOS vs. Android. And I am counting it like that... I'm kind of confused as to your point there.

Anyways, I see what you're saying. You mean that moves like this will drive people (even non-geeks) away from Apple, because it makes them look like the big bad-guy. Yeah, I get that. I don't think it'll happen, but I also think they shouldn't make moves like this. I guess our debate has kind of dried up; we're agreeing that it shouldn't be done, and that it gives bad publicity. We disagree as to whether or not other companies would do this. Fair enough. :)

Reactions: sniffs

macguy59

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Hope all of the mirrors in your home are covered ;) Apple is legally entitled to enforce it's patents. While I think it should have been handled differently, Apple was within it's rights on this one. Save the vitriol for the patent office and patent trolls in general.

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Let's be honest, Apple is not going anywhere soon. Just because Android is maybe leading in market means nothing. Because you sold more doesn't mean it's better. You see more Toyota Camery's one the road than MB C Class. Does that mean that Camery's are better? A lot of Android phone can be had free with a new contract. Of course they would gain market share. But Apple is still kings. What do you see used in movies and what do celebrities use? You always see Apple products on the big screen. What are some schools buying their students? iPads not Android tablets. I work for the Federal Government. Guess what they are getting us to replace Blackberries. iPhone's. What do real musicians use for music? Apple products. You would get laughed at if you ran a studio with Windows stuff. You see what I'm getting at here? Apple isn't going anywhere.
Really because a while back it showed government and military buying androids..

Sent from my MoPho on The Sprint Network

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Really because a while back it showed government and military buying androids..

Sent from my MoPho on The Sprint Network

I see Apple. Guess what my kid's school are purchasing? Apple. Not only his school but plenty of other school down here. From the people I talk to they relate Android to not being able to afford an iPhone. Is that true? No. But that's what a lot of people believe. This forum only represent a mere fraction of smart phone users. I use both but I just can't leave my iPhone because of the music apps that I use like GarageBand and Pocket Amp. Android has no music recording apps that you can use with interfaces that come close to iOS apps. With my IPad I can record digital tracks with the Alesis interface and create darn near a whole album. I just can leave my basically portable studio behind untill Android can match it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I see Apple. Guess what my kid's school are purchasing? Apple. Not only his school but plenty of other school down here. From the people I talk to they relate Android to not being able to afford an iPhone. Is that true? No. But that's what a lot of people believe. This forum only represent a mere fraction of smart phone users. I use both but I just can't leave my iPhone because of the music apps that I use like GarageBand and Pocket Amp. Android has no music recording apps that you can use with interfaces that come close to iOS apps. With my IPad I can record digital tracks with the Alesis interface and create darn near a whole album. I just can leave my basically portable studio behind untill Android can match it.

Apple, for a while at least, was a status symbol. "Oh, you have the new iPhone?" Now? Everyone has one, yet people still treat it in that same, rarefied air it was given (fairly or unfairly, deservedly or undeservedly) in the past.

learntall

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I can't agree with the way that Apple is conducting it's business, then again I don't believe that anyone should be doing business in a shady manner.

Android is a gift, Google gave us the ability to advance this platform in whatever way we deem fit. This gives people the freedom and power to contribute and advance a technology for everyone's benefit.

Apple is rather like Cuba, what the leader says goes and everything, I mean everything within their reach belongs to them.

When I envision the future I don't see a tyrant leading technology past it's limit, I see people who band together and contribute gladly to a system that can integrate a little something for everyone, freely, unitedly and with integrity. Apple lacks the heart to be a part of a united, free technological age that doesn't have a library of books containing patents.

*I also believe that regardless of who you are and what you do, everyone is entitled to have an opinion, and a passionate opinion is the best opinion you can have!

:)

Reactions: rmkilc

p3unit32

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I've become as big an Apple hater as anyone but you are clearly delusional if you think Apple is in trouble. Most people couldn't care less about specs or how limited ios is they just want an iPhone or ipad because it's an iPhone or ipad. It's easy to use, slick design and eye candy ui. They have most average consumers roped in. Add in the fact that most average consumers that don't know better and have a lot of $ tied up in itunes and ios apps and it is just easier for them to buy apples next incremental upgrade to hit the market.

And not to forget the "it must be the best because everyone else has it" effect. They won't ever be in trouble but they will inevitably lose some market share.

I will agree with you on FB though. I think it is already beginning to lose some of its steam similar to the way myspace did in the beginning.

I totally agree with this post. Everyone isn't tech savant, and really don't care about customization. All they know is iOS gives them less problems, they can go to the manufactures retail store directly, have access to great media content, and it's all seemless! No lagging, less crashes, better security, polished software and apps. Heck even the 2009 3GS still gets update love. When the G-Nex gets jellybean some android customers will still be waiting on ICS. I understand your points, but Apple isn't going anywhere for a long time. And I think both OS's are great, Android& iOS!

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Let's be honest, Apple is not going anywhere soon. Just because Android is maybe leading in market means nothing. Because you sold more doesn't mean it's better. You see more Toyota Camery's one the road than MB C Class. Does that mean that Camery's are better? A lot of Android phone can be had free with a new contract. Of course they would gain market share. But Apple is still kings. What do you see used in movies and what do celebrities use? You always see Apple products on the big screen. What are some schools buying their students? iPads not Android tablets. I work for the Federal Government. Guess what they are getting us to replace Blackberries. iPhone's. What do real musicians use for music? Apple products. You would get laughed at if you ran a studio with Windows stuff. You see what I'm getting at here? Apple isn't going anywhere.

You personify everything that is wrong with Apple customers. "I see them people using them on the tv, imma buy that, hurt durp." You realise that's called product placement and Apple pays to have their stuff used in visual media, but hey I guess it works, just look at you. And FYI, my father and brother both work for Lockheed Martin, and it's BlackBerry all the way. Your IPhone wouldn't even get past the door. Only government agencies with extremely low security levels allow anything else. Know who else uses a berry? The president.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Why? Care to explain?

Every single other Android fan site has the site editors, owners, admins, posting opinions.. Why should this site by any different.

Pay attention to the response of the editors on this site to any controversy, do a quick search.

Pay attnetion to the response of the editors to any user critique or dissatisfaction with any non Nexus device.

They always downplay them, call the users whiners, tell us the sky isn't falling, tell us why THEY aren't concerned and tell us it's being overblown. Also, they may throw in that it's the user's stupid fault for picking that carrier/device/service.

It's poor journalism.

EDIT: who are we kidding, it isn't journalism at all. It's just a poor way to treat your readers and it turns people off. I only come here for the forums (direct link).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'll be the first to admit that if you really don't like a phone or the way it works then you should speak with your wallet and not buy it.

If you buy it, discover issues, and keep it anyway then yes it's your own fault. I have a One X. I know of it's issues (of which I don't really have any personally), I know how HTC did multi-tasking. I kept the phone anyway. I can deal with those things for the rest of the awesomeness. Not everybody is like me, and the only way to tell companies you don't like what they're doing is to not buy the product.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'll be the first to admit that if you really don't like a phone or the way it works then you should speak with your wallet and not buy it.

If you buy it, discover issues, and keep it anyway then yes it's your own fault. I have a One X. I know of it's issues (of which I don't really have any personally), I know how HTC did multi-tasking. I kept the phone anyway. I can deal with those things for the rest of the awesomeness. Not everybody is like me, and the only way to tell companies you don't like what they're doing is to not buy the product.

So, Kevin, do this for me. Open Facebook, write a lengthy reply to a post, press home, load up the Internet Browser, look in your favorites, copy/paste the url as if you're going to post in the comment on FB..

click the recent apps button, select Facebook. It didn't save ANY of your post, it reloads the app as if you just opened it. With most Android phones, cause happens before effect. With this device, effect MUST happen before cause otherwise you'll do things twice.

So in essence, HTC wants you to copy the url before you write the post.. yay!

I guess people should realize that the recent apps button is just that, your recently opened(and now closed) apps.

(I know this is offtopic, I apologize)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1