Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default trouble shooting MMS issues

Up until yesterday I could send and receive MMS messages no problem. Now i can't send them. I called AT&T and they can't figure it out either. is there a setting somewhere that I may have changed by accident? Anyone have any ideas?

Default Re: trouble shooting MMS issues

Did you by chance accidentally turn mobile data off?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by jess.hickey View Post
    No...I still have voice call and internet capabilities.

Pull down the notification bar and click settings. Mobile network is on? If so, I got nothing.

SMS does not use mobile data. It gets sent via the GSM signaling channel.
    (Prove it yourself by turning mobile data off, and then send a text message).

MMS may be a different thing. Originally it too used the signaling channel by simply breaking up messages int multiple ascii armored sms messages.

This might have changed over the years, and some carriers have found ways to move them to the data channel.

However the OP states he still has data on and working.

I wonder if he exceeded his quota sending big MMS messages?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    SMS does not use mobile data. It gets sent via the GSM signaling channel.
    (Prove it yourself by turning mobile data off, and then send a text message).

MMS may be a different thing. Originally it too used the signaling channel by simply breaking up messages int multiple ascii armored sms messages.

This might have changed over the years, and some carriers have found ways to move them to the data channel.

However the OP states he still has data on and working.

I wonder if he exceeded his quota sending big MMS messages?

Ok I think your right. I can send smaller pics but If I try to send a bigger file it hangs and doesn't deliver. Can someone explain to me what the limits are on MMS? I want to take the best quality pics possible but I also would like to be able to send them via MMS if I want. Should I change my camera settings? Any ideas?

Send them by email.
    You are chewing up everybody's sms allotment sending big pictures around. Not everybody has unlimted sms, and sms is fundamentally not suite to sending large or lots of mms.

Plus you are blocking the signal channel. Your phone can't ring when you clog the signal channel sending OR receiving sms messages, because that channel's primary purpose is to tell the phone it has an incoming call.

Just because you have a hammer, don't look at every problem as if it were a nail. MMS is not right for all uses.

OP was having issues with mms which is why I pointed to the data switch and didnt know if possibly iinternet was coming over wifi and its easy to bump a widget on/off.

Have you tried handcent or gosms to see if either one can better resize the pics?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

OP was having issues with mms which is why I pointed to the data switch and didnt know if possibly iinternet was coming over wifi and its easy to bump a widget on/off.

Have you tried handcent or gosms to see if either one can better resize the pics?
    I'm currently using GoSMS. I'll give handcent a try.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I guess I'm just use to imessages where it uses your data plan to send pics.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

I am having problems sending pictures also via mms,most times I must go back and resend..very annoying,,,,never ever have I had ta do this before until getting the one x

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Its data and I called htc and they said they are not aware of the data issue with the att one x... So there's no fix for it.. That's why I took mine back, this is the biggest smartphone flop launch in the history of my ten years as a smart phone fanatic.. Never seen any device forum flooded with this many serious problems

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I experienced MMS's getting stuck and would have reboot to send. I also called HTC and they were not aware of the issue and recommended I swap out the phone which I did today. Hopefully that will solve my problem. At least I still have a few weeks to return it if this keeps up - which I hope isn't needed as that's been my only issue.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jfo7404 View Post
    I experienced MMS's getting stuck and would have reboot to send. I also called HTC and they were not aware of the issue and recommended I swap out the phone which I did today. Hopefully that will solve my problem. At least I still have a few weeks to return it if this keeps up - which I hope isn't needed as that's been my only issue.

I too am having this issue and was just trying to figure out of I could still return the phone since I first got a lumia on 5-3-12, and then swapped for this phone on release date. Entire reason I left my skyrocket was due to probelms with texts. I am now having texting issues with this phone. Last night a couple people and I were trying to send mms (photos) and just regular text messages. I have installed go SMS and set it to the highest limits. I keep trying everything data and wifi on and off, and seems that these texts only would send if I turned the phone on and off and there are some still sitting on my phone I can't download. This morning shut phone off and back on and just a regular SMS that I sent arrived to my husband this morning from last night. This is not going to work for me.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I haven't had any issues w/ mine. I have a international HOX on the AT&T network. I use chomp SMS. My phone is rooted now w/ a custom rom but before I even did that I was able to send and receive. I wonder if something is going on w/ AT&T.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iamdunne View Post
    I too am having this issue and was just trying to figure out of I could still return the phone since I first got a lumia on 5-3-12, and then swapped for this phone on release date. Entire reason I left my skyrocket was due to probelms with texts. I am now having texting issues with this phone. Last night a couple people and I were trying to send mms (photos) and just regular text messages. I have installed go SMS and set it to the highest limits. I keep trying everything data and wifi on and off, and seems that these texts only would send if I turned the phone on and off and there are some still sitting on my phone I can't download. This morning shut phone off and back on and just a regular SMS that I sent arrived to my husband this morning from last night. This is not going to work for me.
    I also swap the Lumia 900 for this phone. I actually really liked the Lumia experience except for the camera and having a soon to be three year old I like having a fast camera phone for those spontaneous moments. Knocking on wood that this new one has no issues.

It's 30 days at ATT to return the device (not cancel service which is only 14 days I believe). Worth a try to swap it. Many stores have not received stock yet but may be worth a trip or call before its too late.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jkurl View Post
    I haven't had any issues w/ mine. I have a international HOX on the AT&T network. I use chomp SMS. My phone is rooted now w/ a custom rom but before I even did that I was able to send and receive. I wonder if something is going on w/ AT&T.
    No its not the ATT network...I just came from a BB with no issue's to ONE X have had issues since launch day......its a ONE X issue

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Uh yea definitely not at&t, my skyrocket had killer radios and I went back to it after the one x disaster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Perhaps Its the SIZE of the image you are trying to send?

MMS wasn't meant for big files.

Sent from my HOX

I was not able to change the size of ny mms messages to

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums 300 k instead of the 600 k it was set to in order to get pics to send

Quote Originally Posted by jcochran1977 View Post
    I was not able to change the size of ny mms messages to

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums 300 k instead of the 600 k it was set to in order to get pics to send
    Wanna run that by us again?

Did this work, or did it not work?

Changing it to 300k worked

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

I had the same problem. I couldn't send nor recieve mms, and when i turned on my data connection everything was beginning send and i could recieve my old mms. Thanks for the help !

Quote Originally Posted by Lexie0499 View Post
    I had the same problem. I couldn't send nor recieve mms, and when i turned on my data connection everything was beginning send and i could recieve my old mms. Thanks for the help !
    Ah, so your carrier has moved MMS out of the GSM signaling channel into the DATA channel, via their MMSC server (like most carriers).

People who routinely turn off their data, and then wonder why they can't send MMS are still under the assumption that MMS is handled the same as SMS. (It used to be that way back in the Pleistocene. But Smartphones forced carriers to move this all to the data channel because of large image size was chocking the Signaling Channel where SMS travels).

Some carriers set their MMS max size on their MMSC servers to prevent sending huge things (like entire songs and huge movies). As in phone Cameras deliver larger and larger photos they run up against these limits, if not on your carrier's end, then on the recipient's carrier's end.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

for what its worth....this latest update(1.85.502.3 710RD) from AT$T has fixed my issue of sending MMS.....my proplem was sending MMS..there were times I had to hit try-resending...several times...the problem is now fixed!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast