Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By spacecasespiff
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default About to pull the trigger on HOX.. Final questions

    I have been researching a ton on the One X AT&T and going back and fourth all week.. I'm coming from iPhone 4S, here is what I'm concerned about..

    Camera - seems to be very close

    Syncing with iPhoto - I'm learning to use Picasa and it should sync to my HOX?

    Group text with iPhone users - from what I understand Handcent will do the trick?

    Bluetooth syncing to car audio system - I'm reading Bluetooth is a bit flaky on the HOX? Anyone sync to their car to stream media?
  2. #2  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,329 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: About to pull the trigger on HOX.. Final questions

    Hey J I just got my HOX this past week. I dont think you will have an y major issues with it. There are SOME bugs like any phone on release day. BUT we have seen screenshots of an OTA soon...


    Camera - seems to be very close - The camera on the HOX is just amazing! The software has also been improved too. Pictures are taken quickly and they look awesome. Much better than my old HTC Evo 3D. As far as the iPhone? My guess is maybe a little bit better. I know the iPhone is good for pictures to or so I hear.

    Syncing with iPhoto - I'm learning to use Picasa and it should sync to my HOX? - Sorry I dont use anything from Apple. So I will not be able to help you with this.

    Group text with iPhone users - from what I understand Handcent will do the trick? Handcent should do the trick. Also keep in mind that the stock messaging app isnt all that bad either. Its just your basic MMS/SMS app though.

    Bluetooth syncing to car audio system - I'm reading Bluetooth is a bit flaky on the HOX? Anyone sync to their car to stream media? - Bluetooth is really messed up right now. I have mine connected to my car's bluetooth and every time it connects it wont let me use the network. It simply turns my phone radio off! I know its a bug and it will be fix soon. I think update 1.85 will fix this. To me its not ground breaking but I do know its one of the more annoying bugs out there right now.

    I hope this information helps you out! I think you should really consider the HOX. It really is a great device! If you have anymore questions just post them here!
  3. #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j1787 View Post
    I have been researching a ton on the One X AT&T and going back and fourth all week.. I'm coming from iPhone 4S, here is what I'm concerned about..

    Camera - seems to be very close

    Syncing with iPhoto - I'm learning to use Picasa and it should sync to my HOX?

    Group text with iPhone users - from what I understand Handcent will do the trick?

    Bluetooth syncing to car audio system - I'm reading Bluetooth is a bit flaky on the HOX? Anyone sync to their car to stream media?
    Camera- I love it. Takes amazing pictures on default

    Syncing with iPhoto- Google+ has an auto upload feature and so does drop box. So you're not loosing out on anything there.

    Group Text- hand cent or goSMS. This is not a feature I use

    Bluetooth- I have no issues streaming pandora, Google Music or calls

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  
    aggie's Avatar

    Posts
    505 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts

    Default Re: About to pull the trigger on HOX.. Final questions

    I've heard of others having blue tooth issues but I've had zero issues with the bluetooth on my HOX connected to my Pioneer Z120bt in my truck. Plays music and handles voice calls perfectly and no network issues while doing so.

    Camera-iPhone 4s pics are a tad better but the camera app of the HOX blows the simplistic iPhone camera away.

    Group text- I hate iPhones group text method. Hate seeing replies from tons of people I don't know. I've yet to see an android phone handle iPhone group text replies within a single thread but doesn't really matter to me
  5. #5  

    Default Re: About to pull the trigger on HOX.. Final questions

    Quote Originally Posted by j1787 View Post
    I have been researching a ton on the One X AT&T and going back and fourth all week.. I'm coming from iPhone 4S, here is what I'm concerned about..

    Camera - seems to be very close

    Syncing with iPhoto - I'm learning to use Picasa and it should sync to my HOX?

    Group text with iPhone users - from what I understand Handcent will do the trick?

    Bluetooth syncing to car audio system - I'm reading Bluetooth is a bit flaky on the HOX? Anyone sync to their car to stream media?
    1. Multitasking is broken. Everything has to reload when you go back to it. Your iPhone handles multitasking much better. MUCH BETTER

    2. The HOX doesn't allow for app related links to use their respective app. Meaning: If there is a YouTube link and you click it, you'll get NO option to open such link with the dedicated YouTube app.

    3. While using the stock browser, the notification pull down is not accessible

    4. Should you decide to download the Chrome beta browser, the HOX will not give you the option to use it when using various web related tasks, it only uses its default browser.

    These were issues enough for me to return the HOX, as it takes away too many stock Android 4.0 features. Samsung's GS3 should be hitting AT&T in about a month or so and I say wait. I don't believe Samsung has crippled Android 4.0 anywhere near as much as HTC has done with the HOX. As far as cameras, all reviews so far say the GS3 is equal if not better than the HOX so no loss there. Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
    1. Multitasking is broken. Everything has to reload when you go back to it. Your iPhone handles multitasking much better. MUCH BETTER

    2. The HOX doesn't allow for app related links to use their respective app. Meaning: If there is a YouTube link and you click it, you'll get NO option to open such link with the dedicated YouTube app.

    3. While using the stock browser, the notification pull down is not accessible

    4. Should you decide to download the Chrome beta browser, the HOX will not give you the option to use it when using various web related tasks, it only uses its default browser.

    These were issues enough for me to return the HOX, as it takes away too many stock Android 4.0 features. Samsung's GS3 should be hitting AT&T in about a month or so and I say wait. I don't believe Samsung has crippled Android 4.0 anywhere near as much as HTC has done with the HOX. As far as cameras, all reviews so far say the GS3 is equal if not better than the HOX so no loss there. Hope this helps.
    Settings, settings, settings. Also pay attention to the boxes that pop open after installing new browsers or apps. There are always options.

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Thanks everyone for all the replies, I appreciate the input.

    Does anyone know for sure that handcent or GoSMS can handle a thread of group messaging? It's become pretty important for my team scheduling and work group.

    Glad to hear Bluetooth isn't as bad as i thought. Seems like all will be fixed in short time, or devices will be replaced id imagine.

    Has anyone had luck with the boot loader being unlocked? Curious if a custom rom would help with some of the issues of multitasking and other random issues?
  8. #8  
    ptm88's Avatar

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

    Default Re: About to pull the trigger on HOX.. Final questions

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
    1. Multitasking is broken. Everything has to reload when you go back to it. Your iPhone handles multitasking much better. MUCH BETTER

    2. The HOX doesn't allow for app related links to use their respective app. Meaning: If there is a YouTube link and you click it, you'll get NO option to open such link with the dedicated YouTube app.

    3. While using the stock browser, the notification pull down is not accessible

    4. Should you decide to download the Chrome beta browser, the HOX will not give you the option to use it when using various web related tasks, it only uses its default browser.

    These were issues enough for me to return the HOX, as it takes away too many stock Android 4.0 features. Samsung's GS3 should be hitting AT&T in about a month or so and I say wait. I don't believe Samsung has crippled Android 4.0 anywhere near as much as HTC has done with the HOX. As far as cameras, all reviews so far say the GS3 is equal if not better than the HOX so no loss there. Hope this helps.
    Agreed wait for the SG3, besides all that the hardware buttons are in the wrong spots, the volume rocker is too big and you'll constantly hit it while grabbing it to turn on the phone, which the button is on top and hard to press. Then you have a chance of getting one with data issues, bluetooth, wifi and mobile data. I'm disappointed as well, I went through two phones and 4 sim cards and all the same problems. I ordered my int SG3, I'm sure it will have its problems but I've never seen anything released this bad before. For those who got a good HOX your lucky!!!
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: About to pull the trigger on HOX.. Final questions

    You should get your friends to try out GroupMe. My friends and I really enjoy it. Plus, you can use it from the web too.
  10. #10  
    aggie's Avatar

    Posts
    505 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j1787 View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the replies, I appreciate the input.

    Does anyone know for sure that handcent or GoSMS can handle a thread of group messaging? It's become pretty important for my team scheduling and work group.

    Glad to hear Bluetooth isn't as bad as i thought. Seems like all will be fixed in short time, or devices will be replaced id imagine.

    Has anyone had luck with the boot loader being unlocked? Curious if a custom rom would help with some of the issues of multitasking and other random issues?
    In my experience neither of them handle threaded iPhone messaging well. You can create a group text but all replies ome back as their own individual text and not grouped in the original group text
  11. #11  
    aggie's Avatar

    Posts
    505 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
    1. Multitasking is broken. Everything has to reload when you go back to it. Your iPhone handles multitasking much better. MUCH BETTER

    2. The HOX doesn't allow for app related links to use their respective app. Meaning: If there is a YouTube link and you click it, you'll get NO option to open such link with the dedicated YouTube app.

    3. While using the stock browser, the notification pull down is not accessible

    4. Should you decide to download the Chrome beta browser, the HOX will not give you the option to use it when using various web related tasks, it only uses its default browser.

    These were issues enough for me to return the HOX, as it takes away too many stock Android 4.0 features. Samsung's GS3 should be hitting AT&T in about a month or so and I say wait. I don't believe Samsung has crippled Android 4.0 anywhere near as much as HTC has done with the HOX. As far as cameras, all reviews so far say the GS3 is equal if not better than the HOX so no loss there. Hope this helps.
    Lots of misinformation here. First multitasking isn't broken. It does multitask. Implemented poorly? Yes. On my Nexus I have a lot of things reload as well. But it runs music and navigation in the background just fine. I expect there will be some changes by HTC seeing as this is their flagship however if there isn't there is now an unofficial bootloader unlock method. Good thing about android the possibilities are usually endless.

    With regards to not being able to make chrome the default browser for links, etc just go into settings / app associations and and switch to whatever browser you want to use.

    The only way the op will know for sure if it meets his needs is to give it a try. It can always be returned.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: About to pull the trigger on HOX.. Final questions

    I got a Beats By Dre Beatbox as a gift, and the bluetooth connection from my One X is LOUSY. It's not even listenable. I switch over to my Skyrocket, and everything is fine.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: About to pull the trigger on HOX.. Final questions

    Quote Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
    I got a Beats By Dre Beatbox as a gift, and the bluetooth connection from my One X is LOUSY. It's not even listenable. I switch over to my Skyrocket, and everything is fine.
    Seriously, just now, I tried to connect to the Big Jambox and it would connect, but not play my music. the Beats icon would show up, and then disappear, not playing a thing. For the One X to have issues connecting to a BBD Beat Box is just incredibly disappointing.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prissysox View Post
    Settings, settings, settings. Also pay attention to the boxes that pop open after installing new browsers or apps. There are always options.

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
    As far as browser I just found the app association setting. There is still nothing for YouTube
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
    As far as browser I just found the app association setting. There is still nothing for YouTube
    Sense 3.6 is like this as well. Sucks. Thinking of downgrading.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default

    Sounds like I should maybe skip the HOX.

    Thinking of possibly going with a GSM GNex.. Wish it had LTE for AT&T.
  17. #17  

    Default

    People there will be an update that fixes the bluetooth issue. Multitasking works for me. Some of you are just being to picky. Guess what the gs3 will have issues to like bad radios.. Don't ever let someone talk you out of a phone . What someone doesn't like doesn't mean that you will not like as well. Make your own choices. I think this is the best phone I've ever used and yes it some issues. Will you like it maybe maybe not. Every phone has issues .


    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    BOSSY TEXAS CHICK likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: About to pull the trigger on HOX.. Final questions

    I love this phone. The industrial design is phenomenal, the camera is fantastic, the screen is unbelievable. It's only competition is a phone that. Hasn't been released yet. It will be superior to the gs3 in those 3 ways at least. I can say that for me the screen is a huge advantage for this phone. Don't be too discouraged by naysayers on this thread, if you're buying phones because of where the on/ off button is you're buying them for the wrong reasons.
    Last edited by iknownothing; 05-27-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Posting Permissions