Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Anyone else having random reboots with their AT&T One X?

I am on my second AT&T One X. I had to return the first one after it spontaneously rebooted five times in the first 24 hours I had it. The replacement I have now has spontaneously rebooted six times in two weeks. No pattern as to when and where the reboots occur as to location or usage. Not rooted...stock launcher...system update 1.73.502... system updates show no update available.

Anyone else having problems like this?

"Bits and Bytes from my HTC 4f:6e:65:20:58"
    Last edited by Cyber Warrior; 05-28-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: fixing forum glitch/ampersand
    To each their own...as long as it Android.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,154 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone else having random reboots with their AT&T One X?

Have seen a few people mention it. I've only had it happen a couple times in a month. (Or at least that I've noticed.)

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I have had mine for about a week now and mine has not rebooted it self yet. I have however done one manual reboot. Otherwise life has been good! *Crosses fingers*
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thanks Phil and cgardner for chiming in.

I got into the habit of performing a manual reboot every morning when I got my first Android phone years ago and have done it on every Android I have owned. Probably unnecessary, but I still perform the daily manual reboot on the One X.

With that being said, I know the caches and memory are cleared out daily. Correct me if I am wrong, but the vast majority of issues that will cause a spontaneous reboot are hardware related. There are a few software issues that will cause it, but far more are hardware problems.

I hate to call AT&T Tech Support...they are just going to tell me to perform a factory reset. I have already done one master reset and am still getting the spontaneous reboots.

I do not have a single app on the One X that I did not have running on my stock unrooted Vivid /w ICS before. I never experienced a single spontaneous reboot with the Vivid.

I still have about 2 weeks left on my 30 days with the One X...

I've had exactly Two since I got this phone back April 6th, each was followed by a "send error report to HTC" request.

I'm on the international version, not the AT&T version.

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

No issues like that with mine.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by for3nsicguy View Post

I got into the habit of performing a manual reboot every morning when I got my first Android phone years ago and have done it on every Android I have owned. Probably unnecessary,

Absolutely unnecessary. This isn't windows.

Nexus One uptime: 1059:51:51 Thats 1059 hours.
    HTC One X is at least 5 days since the most recent random reboot.

Yes, I've had several since I got it 3 weeks ago. Stock OS, no root.

what apps do you all run? If it happens on multiple devices, I'd be suspect of what apps you have installed.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

where can you check uptime on the HOX?

Yes where is the uptime on the HOX

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    PhoneJunkie

Iphone 5s
    HTC One (M8)
    Nexus 5

Sold (HTC One X, iPhone 4s, Ipad Mini, Galaxy S3, and S4 LG Optimus G Pro)
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,153 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've experienced no random reboots.

Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

As near as I can tell, the problem on my One X may have been related to the installation of the apk for AT&T Visual Voicemail. I installed it from a download on XDA and it did not ever function properly until I uninstalled it on May 27 and then reinstalled it on May 29. From what I have read in other posts, AT&T had something on their end which prevented the use of VVM on the One X before May 29. After the reinstallation, the VVM works perfectly and I have not had a single spontaneous reboot.

Every reboot I had was between the time(s) I installed the apk and uninstalled it on May 27. I am going to call it "fixed" and hope I don't hear that "power on AT&T tone" again when I am not expecting it.

Yea I've had vvm and never had a random reboot.

Had my HTC One for three weeks and it began rebooting randomly. Found it anoying and thought I was doing something This morning I went out and in less than 45 minutes it rebooted six times. Can not stand this about the phone.

I've had my HOX for about a month now, and no reboots for me, unless you count the update (I doubt you are). I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having these issues.

No reboots on mine.

I've had pretty major issues with reboots (I'm on ATT). The worst part is that it happened 1-2x a day for the first few days I had it, then stopped for about a month, so I thought perhaps it had resolved itself. Now it is probably too late to return it.

BTW, I still have 4.03 and the ATT Software Update doesn't say anything about 4.04 being available. Anyone else run into this?

My girlfriend's started having random reboots, and her data doesn't seem to be working correctly. It times out all the time, whether on WiFi or HSPA+. I'm gonna try a factory reset for her tonight and see if that fixes up the problems, but if not, we may try to get her phone replaced again (her last one's phone speaker went out). This is odd to me, as I'm still on my first one bought on the same day as her's with absolutely no problems (although, data seems to be slowing down to a crawl, but I'm blaming that on AT&T considering it works GREAT on WiFi).

Well, I didn't need to do a factory data reset. I uninstalled "ShopKick" (or something like that: an app of which I've never heard) and - voila! Her phone works perfectly again. Not sure how that app caused any issues, but it was (I realized this when I couldn't get a simple google search to go through, but she was getting adverts from ShopKick via data). *shakes fist at rogue apps*

Ok, you should report that to Google as a rogue app.
    Its in the app store https://play.google.com/store/search?q=shopkick
    And its probably messing with your tcp stack and setting a proxy server so it can scan your traffic and serve up ads (and steal your passwords and god only knows what else).

My god, have your read the permissions on that thing?

Nope, I didn't install it, so I didn't read that much information. I did uninstall it and fix everything. Upon reading their TOS and Privacy Policy (both of which are fairly standard), it may just be a mistake in their coding, but I'm still not that convinced. I don't know, I may be a bit wary now, but I don't entirely trust them still, and have warned my gf to keep an eye on permissions and issues like this that crop up after installing something.

Yeah, it's off to Google with it, I think, so they can analyze and decide. I really don't like the looks of this thing. I have also advised her to log in and give it a 1 star rating and point out in a review that it was blocking her network access.

Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    My girlfriend's started having random reboots, and her data doesn't seem to be working correctly. It times out all the time, whether on WiFi or HSPA+. I'm gonna try a factory reset for her tonight and see if that fixes up the problems, but if not, we may try to get her phone replaced again (her last one's phone speaker went out). This is odd to me, as I'm still on my first one bought on the same day as her's with absolutely no problems (although, data seems to be slowing down to a crawl, but I'm blaming that on AT&T considering it works GREAT on WiFi).
    Hello. Just wanted to say that your and your gf seem to be having the same trouble as I and my son-in-law. We both have the One X (att) and his works fine, no problems in 3 months or more of ownership for him, but me(?)... I bought mine on Dec. 9th and had to return it the very next day because the earpiece speaker was garbage. It sounded like cellophane was crackling inside of it :/ And now, my phone has started randomly rebooting approximately 5x this week. Sighs. Tech hates me. Anyway, I'm not using nor have I ever had that bad app you mentioned installed; I just wanted to chime in and say these phones bite. Tc. *nods*

Update: Even though I was beyond the 30 day warranty, AT&T replaced my device and the reboots stopped. It also happily upgraded to 4.04. Another month goes by, AT&T turns on their LTE network in Seattle (finally), and I notice interference with the audio whenever the LTE radio is active. Doesn't happen on 4G or wifi, only 4G LTE. I notice it mainly with Pandora or when streaming music from Google Music/Play.

Opened a ticket with HTC, they had me try the usual things with no success. Back to the device center, where I can't duplicate the problem with one of their demo units, so they offer to replace my device yet again. I don't notice the problem on the new device in the store, so I say I'm satisfied. Later that night, I notice it has the same problem. I've basically given up on resolving it for now as it is fairly minor.

As long as I'm complaining about the device, the other issue I have is random rapid power drain when location services is on. Google Maps is normally identified as the biggest power suck if I have location services and/or GPS turned on, so I spend a lot of time with those turned off. I'm hoping AT&T releases 4.1 in some kind of reasonable time frame and that fixes it. If not, then I'll root it and possibly try cyanogenmod or whatnot.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Quote Originally Posted by b'ski View Post
    Update: Even though I was beyond the 30 day warranty, AT&T replaced my device and the reboots stopped. It also happily upgraded to 4.04. Another month goes by, AT&T turns on their LTE network in Seattle (finally), and I notice interference with the audio whenever the LTE radio is active. Doesn't happen on 4G or wifi, only 4G LTE. I notice it mainly with Pandora or when streaming music from Google Music/Play.

Opened a ticket with HTC, they had me try the usual things with no success. Back to the device center, where I can't duplicate the problem with one of their demo units, so they offer to replace my device yet again. I don't notice the problem on the new device in the store, so I say I'm satisfied. Later that night, I notice it has the same problem. I've basically given up on resolving it for now as it is fairly minor.

As long as I'm complaining about the device, the other issue I have is random rapid power drain when location services is on. Google Maps is normally identified as the biggest power suck if I have location services and/or GPS turned on, so I spend a lot of time with those turned off. I'm hoping AT&T releases 4.1 in some kind of reasonable time frame and that fixes it. If not, then I'll root it and possibly try cyanogenmod or whatnot.

If you are thinking of rooting, just do it... Once you update the phone, there is a 99% chance that the new update will patch the exploit to unlock the bootloader and root... I made this mistake when 2.20 came out and had to wait a couple months for a new exploit...

If you enjoy sense (I really like it, and CM as well) then I would suggest doing the unlock and root now, and put Team Venom's Viper XL Rom on it. This is a sense rom, debloated, tons of tweaks; battery is the best on this rom, better than any other rom and it is smooth and stable. It also has the option to turn LTE off with a switch, just in case your LTE issue is still there.

Edit: this rom is 4.0.4, but as soon as att and htc release the jb update, it shouldn't take long for Team Venom to update the rom

Good luck!
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast