Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.20 Stock, AOKP

Default Does the HOX really need a case?

I know it has gorilla glass 2, but I'm still skeptical on how it will hold up to drops. It just seems like such a fragile phone. What do you guys think?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
    -Stephen Roberts

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Default Re: Does the HOX really need a case?

Mines covered by an Otterbox defender case. Just need to clean it here and there.

Here is a link to the scratch testes done to the phone...

HTC One X Scratch Test (Screen & Body)

Enjoy!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    My Blog: C2JBlog.com

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Also IMO a case can not hurt. When you get a really nice device you always want it to look its best! Plus it will keep its resale value too!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)

Take the money you were going to put toward a case and put it toward a square trade warranty.

If you are really rough with your phones or work some place where you take a few knocks, like construction or something, then it might be worth it.
    dailton likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Well if you get a white one you should, if only b/c it seems to take on whatever color your pockets are.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Well if you get a white one you should, if only b/c it seems to take on whatever color your pockets are.
    I was hearing Windex can help you out with this issue. I have yet to see it my self but I am also currently using the OtterBox Defender case too. So that helps too.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.20 Stock, AOKP

I've never been a fan of otterbox. I have a speck candyshell grip right now, but the phone feels too bulky with it on IMO.

"I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
    -Stephen Roberts
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.20 Stock, AOKP

I already have a case, but how much is a SquareTrade for the AT&T One X?

-Stephen Roberts

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 (N1), Stock (HOX)

Someone did a video drop testing the One X and when it fell nearly face first it shattered. Oddly, and and thankfully, it was still usable (my friends Evo did the same thing - shattered but was still fully functional).. If anything, get a case to protect the camera lens. Without a case the lens rests flat on the surface it's on (might not be 100% flush but it's close enough).

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Nexus 7 (stock)
    HTC One XL (CM10)
    Nexus One
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,031 Global Posts

I might or might not have scratched two. In my pocket. :-/

Just get a screen protecter and call it a day. The new Zagg HD screen protecter is great and I don't like Zagg products but the new HD are like glass and smooth to the touch.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I got the Otterbox defender! Just gotta clean it every 2 weeks or so! Either way if you baby your phone a screen protector is never a bad idea.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)

Mine has some scratches on the body after a month of use. I have the white one, and it does not take on the color of my pockets - has stayed white. I don't care about the scratches, but the phone is slippery as hell without any sort of case.

Global Posts
    4,075 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock on all

I also thought I didn't need a case with a form factor as sexy as the One X's, although I'm very much a phone case guy. But the two nicks I got on the side of the phone were wakeup calls. I got a matte red case afterwards. Love it ever since.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

as much as i love this phone naked (the unibody is SO solid). i have a habit of buying tons of cases for my phone.. i'm already at 5.. i can't seem to keep one on for more than a few days before taking it off..

If you don't want it to get damaged and break when it falls then I recommend getting a case.

I thought the HOX was made from the same scratch proof materials as the lumia 900? If so with gorilla glass2 and that same material why would a case be needed? I do have the speck case on mine but I would like to not have to buy one at all. Do we put.cases on our cars lol

PhoneJunkie

Iphone 5s
    HTC One (M8)
    Nexus 5

Sold (HTC One X, iPhone 4s, Ipad Mini, Galaxy S3, and S4 LG Optimus G Pro)

I've dropped my phone once onto a grocery store floor. I watched in horror, and in slow motion as my phone landed on a corner and slide face down on the floor. I almost cried like a little girl as I picked my phone up.

when I flipped it over, it had 0 damage. No damage to the outside shell, nor the screen. That was my 1 free drop... an hour later I had a hardshell case on it.. I would agree that the One X is sexy, but with a clear case, you can still see it's sexyness.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

I have no case on mine, and bought from BestBuy so I have the security of their Black Tie protection program for $9.99/mo. in case I drop or damage. ZERO deductible (+buy back program is definitely the way to go)

I scratched my screen the first day with a set of keys in my pocket for only a few minutes! Right in the middle half inch long sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    I scratched my screen the first day with a set of keys in my pocket for only a few minutes! Right in the middle half inch long sucks.
    Can someone explain how this happens with gorilla glass 2. I see videos on YouTube with folks hammering nails in wood with other gorilla glass phones and no scratch or broken screen yet this guy puts it in his pocket and a key scratches the screen could this really not ha e gorilla glass?

PhoneJunkie

Iphone 5s
    HTC One (M8)
    Nexus 5

Sold (HTC One X, iPhone 4s, Ipad Mini, Galaxy S3, and S4 LG Optimus G Pro)
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.20 Stock, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by cashinout View Post
    Can someone explain how this happens with gorilla glass 2. I see videos on YouTube with folks hammering nails in wood with other gorilla glass phones and no scratch or broken screen yet this guy puts it in his pocket and a key scratches the screen could this really not ha e gorilla glass?

I don't know. I have a few hairline scratches on mine too. Had it for less than a week. Luckily I'm getting it replaced because of a build quality issue.

-Stephen Roberts

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

I haven't been using a case, but I carry the phone in a completely empty pocket, never lay it face down, etc. No noticeable scratches so far. I couldn't bring myself to wrap that sleek machine and hide its form.

Global Posts
    1,032 Global Posts

I have the international HOX (love it btw) and bought a simple Gel Case for it ( Expansys). Off topic, I highly recommend Expansys.

Never been able to use a case for longer than a day or two with any of my phones. Only broken one screen and believe it or not it was a blackberry 9900 (not an iPhone or hox). I understand why people use cases but they are just not for me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast