Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Swiftkey 3 beta - works pretty well!

    Phil posted this on the main site, Swiftkey 3 beta is available for use. I just tried it out - it works great. I used SwiftKey X previously, and this feels better - the layout is better with a larger space bar (on SwiftKey X, I would often hit period instead of space if I used my right thumb to try to hit space)... they integrated the SwiftKey button in with the numbers on the left, which created more room for the bigger space key - small but incredibly helpful improvement.

    Prediction seems to work great, except that it doesn't work at all in the Notes app (but that's probably a good thing because prediction worked horrible in SwiftKey X for the Notes app - it was buggy and would create random words when you try to erase stuff).

    Overall I am very pleased! Now just need the Russian language to come out... You can download here:

    http://www.androidcentral.com/swiftk...s-improvements
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Swiftkey 3 beta - works pretty well!

    I find the default swype-like KB to be pretty darn good on the One X. Is this KB better?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Swiftkey 3 beta - works pretty well!

    The default keyboard is not bad, but I hate the buttons at the bottom - they take up a huge amount of space on the screen, so harder to see what you're typing or responding to.

    SwiftKey has very good prediction - I can type very quickly with it, and it fixes most of my errors correctly. I recommend giving it a try, especially since the beta is free.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Swiftkey 3 beta - works pretty well!

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    I find the default swype-like KB to be pretty darn good on the One X. Is this KB better?
    Swiftkey uses a totally different concept behind the scenes than does the default.

    Swiftkey understands your language. Not just the dictionary of words.

    It knows language structure, and predicts words BEFORE you even type a single character, based on the structure of English (or what ever language you use).

    You type "H"
    it prompts the next word choices of "how" "hey" "hope"
    You tap "how"
    It prompts "is" "are" "about"
    You tap "are" (center choice).
    It prompts "things" "you" "we"
    You tap "you"
    It prompts "going" "doing" "waiting"
    You tap doing.

    So you see you can type a complete sentence by hitting ONE letter, then selecting words without typing any other letters.

    The list above is MY LIST, yours might be different, based on the fact that it learns YOUR language, word choices, and sentence structure habits.

    Its prediction isn't JUST based on a dictionary of words.
    Its the only keyboard I use any more.
  5. #5  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,465 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,500 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Swiftkey uses a totally different concept behind the scenes than does the default.

    Swiftkey understands your language. Not just the dictionary of words.

    It knows language structure, and predicts words BEFORE you even type a single character, based on the structure of English (or what ever language you use).

    You type "H"
    it prompts the next word choices of "how" "hey" "hope"
    You tap "how"
    It prompts "is" "are" "about"
    You tap "are" (center choice).
    It prompts "things" "you" "we"
    You tap "you"
    It prompts "going" "doing" "waiting"
    You tap doing.

    So you see you can type a complete sentence by hitting ONE letter, then selecting words without typing any other letters.

    The list above is MY LIST, yours might be different, based on the fact that it learns YOUR language, word choices, and sentence structure habits.

    Its prediction isn't JUST based on a dictionary of words.
    Its the only keyboard I use any more.
    +1

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
  6. #6  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,498 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    Carrier
    None Yet...

    Default

    So far I love it! :-) I hope its a free upgrade from SwiftKey X!

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Swiftkey 3 beta - works pretty well!

    I've used swiftkey but prefer the ics keyboard that is offered free. I liked the predictive text capabilities of swiftkey but I also made way more mistakes typing with it. Not sure why.. maybe the size of this one is better suited to the size of my hands
  8. #8  

    Default

    I used beta 3 all day and just when back to ics keyboard. I think its just lighter and works faster

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
  9. #9  

    Default

    I also get that weird screen flash thing using swiftkey in the middle of typing texts. I never have that problem using other keyboards

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
  10. #10  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,498 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    Carrier
    None Yet...

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Czar_of_tx View Post
    I also get that weird screen flash thing using swiftkey in the middle of typing texts. I never have that problem using other keyboards

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Well to be fair it is a beta! :-P

    On a lighter note where on the play store is the stock keyboard? Att version doesn't seem to have it by default.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
  11. #11  
    Kevin OQuinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    9,668 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,879 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default

    Been using this for a while. I like it, but the stock ICS keyboard keeps up with fast typing better IMO. The prediction can make up for some of that, though.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Posting Permissions