Some ways to diagnose battery drain issues?

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I am at a loss here.

Some days my battery is great, lasts for several hours of screen use, barely loses any power while sleeping.

And then some days are horrible: today I am at 35% after 6 hours since charge. 40 min of screen on time. I did some browsing this morning, updated a few apps from the Google Play store, and played Samurai Vengeance for about 20 mins. That's it, the rest of the time the phone has been idle.

I have tried the ICS native Battery app, GO Power Master, and BetterBatteryStats to try and diagnose what's going on - and I don't see anything unusual in any of these. Maybe I am not looking for something correctly...

Any ideas on what I could do? I keep trying to exchange my unit, but the AT&T stores are all out of them... and my 30 days are up tomorrow.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Just dropped another 4% while sitting idle next to me - in the time it took me to type up the above msg on my desktop.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
When I plugged the phone in to charge (using the HTC original 1 amp charger), I got the message: "your phone is using more power than it's getting from the charger" - or something to that respect. Just wish I could find what's causing this... :(

drad

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I was having similar battery issues last week. Did a (painful) hard reset 3 days ago and battery life has been fantastic since.

Like you, I was never able to pinpoint a problem, rouge app, whatever. But things are much better now.

No way to know if this was a problem, but when I first got the phone, I tried and uninstalled many apps. After the hard reset, only installed the apps I really liked. Maybe there was a bad app in the bunch, or maybe the installs and uninstalls left bad code behind that was getting in the way (disclaimer - I know nothing about how mobile OSs work)?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
When I plugged the phone in to charge (using the HTC original 1 amp charger), I got the message: "your phone is using more power than it's getting from the charger" - or something to that respect. Just wish I could find what's causing this... :(

Can't tell ya what the issue is, but all I know is if you're experiencing dramatic battery drain while it's sleeping, do a reset. There's been thoughts of a rogue app mentioned before. Honestly wouldn't hurt to reset your phone everyday. I reset once every day or 2 and haven't noticed any extreme battery loss.

Mr. Shah

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Try doing a hard reset, its painful losing all your apps, but it's worth it for the battery life you get. I can pretty easily go an entire day with screen time around 2.5 hours, while streaming music for about 3 hours.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Thing is, I did a reset about a week after I got the phone. I also installed and uninstalled a bunch of apps first, and then noticed weird battery stuff. So I did the hard reset, and only installed the apps I really wanted. It worked great at first... and here we are now.

Here's the thing - if it's a software issue (i.e. "rogue" process), why can't I see that process taking up a ton of power in any battery monitoring app?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

Maybe running all those battery apps?

Really, they do take power just to measure power, especially if running as widgets.
Most of those apps don't report the power they use themselves. If more than one of them is asking the battery controller to measure battery power, they increase the drain. Battery power is measured by asking the battery controller to induce a high load for a short duration and measure the drop in voltage that results. Do this too much and you drain your battery just trying to measure it.

Uninstall all of them, leaving just the system one.

Check your screen brightness (auto works well).

oldmanjenkins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Conditioning my battery is what helped me. I let it drain completely before I charged back up. I got rid of the app killer program and I am getting 14 hours plus with moderate use and about 8-10 with moderate heavy use with lte.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
icebike - I hear ya, but I got these diagnostic programs only after I started seeing these problems. Screen is always at 35% brightness, no auto.

jenkins - tried draining my battery like that as well, several times even.

Sadness.

oldmanjenkins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
icebike - I hear ya, but I got these diagnostic programs only after I started seeing these problems. Screen is always at 35% brightness, no auto.

jenkins - tried draining my battery like that as well, several times even.

Sadness.

Do you have any app killers running in the background?

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I was having similar battery issues last week. Did a (painful) hard reset 3 days ago and battery life has been fantastic since.

Like you, I was never able to pinpoint a problem, rouge app, whatever. But things are much better now.

No way to know if this was a problem, but when I first got the phone, I tried and uninstalled many apps. After the hard reset, only installed the apps I really liked. Maybe there was a bad app in the bunch, or maybe the installs and uninstalls left bad code behind that was getting in the way (disclaimer - I know nothing about how mobile OSs work)?

What's a hard reset? How to do that?

Sent from my International HTC One X.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

You do a hard reset by inserting a small pin (consider the micro sim removal tool) into the hole on top of the phone across from the power button

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
You do a hard reset by inserting a small pin (consider the micro sim removal tool) into the hole on top of the phone across from the power button

What does that result in? How does my phone change internally?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

THIS IS STUPID. Don't do this.

How would damaging your noise canceling microphone reset the phone?

Sent from my HOX

Last edited:

drad

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site

a hard reset is just another name for restoring the phone to the factory defaults. to do it you go to settings > storage > factory data reset.

I do not know it the other method mentioned here works, but I would not be comfortable trying it given there is a way to do it from the phones UI.

This will erase all of the stuff on your phone, and return it to the state it was in when you opened the box. you will need to re-install your apps (that's not really a pain, Google Play Store remembers your apps), and you will need to re-personalize (settings, tweaks, widgets, etc....). be sure to back up photos, music, etc. (anything that does not automatically sync with some sort of cloud service) first.

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
a hard reset is just another name for restoring the phone to the factory defaults. to do it you go to settings > storage > factory data reset.

I do not know it the other method mentioned here works, but I would not be comfortable trying it given there is a way to do it from the phones UI.

This will erase all of the stuff on your phone, and return it to the state it was in when you opened the box. you will need to re-install your apps (that's not really a pain, Google Play Store remembers your apps), and you will need to re-personalize (settings, tweaks, widgets, etc....). be sure to back up photos, music, etc. (anything that does not automatically sync with some sort of cloud service) first.

Alright, thanks!

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Awesome, my battery is draining again at like 5% per 5 minutes. And again none of my battery monitoring apps are reporting anything weird...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Does it do it after a restart? Just a regular restart. Not the kind that would totally destroy your noise cancelling mic, or erase all your apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae