Photos highly compressed and noisy?

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or so the pictures from the HOX seem overly compressed and very noisy? I understand inside shots will be more noisy than outside shots due to the amount of available light, but most of my shots just look really bad at 100%.

My wife's infuse seems to take better pictures, less noise and more detail. One of the reasons I got the HOX was because of how much the camera was being praised, but I am having a hard time seeing it.

I have messed with the settings (sharpness, etc) but nothing seems to help. I just wonder if it's a hardware issue, or is it HTC using too much compression - 8mp shots should be larger then 1.5megs, prob closer to 4 or 5 megs.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or so the pictures from the HOX seem overly compressed and very noisy? I understand inside shots will be more noisy than outside shots due to the amount of available light, but most of my shots just look really bad at 100%.

My wife's infuse seems to take better pictures, less noise and more detail. One of the reasons I got the HOX was because of how much the camera was being praised, but I am having a hard time seeing it.

I have messed with the settings (sharpness, etc) but nothing seems to help. I just wonder if it's a hardware issue, or is it HTC using too much compression - 8mp shots should be larger then 1.5megs, prob closer to 4 or 5 megs.

Its just you.
Either that or someone messed with your settings.

The HOX is universally recognized as having one of the best cameras of all smartphones.
Reset the camera to default, and post some full resolution photos somewhere showing the problem

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Its just you.
Either that or someone messed with your settings.

The HOX is universally recognized as having one of the best cameras of all smartphones.
Reset the camera to default, and post some full resolution photos somewhere showing the problem

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

It is a good camera, but it does use a lot of compression (file size says all) and the quality is subjective from review site to review site.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I Think its a good camera coming from the galaxy nexus lumia 900 and iPhone 4s it blows the non iPhones out of the water and right there with the 4s

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
ok, after looking a bit at my exif data, I am realizing the auto ISO is defaulting to some pretty high values and one of my inside shots was at ISO 647, so that will help explain the noise. That on top of what I think is overly aggressive compression will help explain what I am seeing.

I wish there was a way to see on screen what ISO it is using - I might turn on the flash to help bring it down some.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Set the iso yourself.

Also, watch out for the 16:9 aspect ratio, because it lowers total resolution.

You will never find a camera that delivers jpeg files that comes close to delivering RAW file sizes. The compression is no more extreme on this phone than on any other smartphone. I've seen exactly zero compression artifacts. And you still haven't posted any full resolution photos that show any of the compression problems you talk about.

Sent from my HOX

Last edited:

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I just today thought about the 16:9 setting and wondered if that had any effect on the image quality. Good to know.

I'll try and get a sample or two up.

Set the iso yourself.

Also, watch out for the 16:9 aspect ratio, because it lowers total resolution.

You will never find a camera that delivers jpeg files that comes close to delivering RAW file sizes. The compression is no more extreme on this phone than on any other smartphone. I've seen exactly zero compression artifacts. And you still haven't posted any full resolution photos that show any of the compression problems you talk about.

Sent from my HOX

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc