Let's be honest here , who's trading in their X for s3?

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
You know what, guys, I really really want to chime in on this multitasking thing as well but I use the International version of the One X, and as I was using it for the past month I loved the speed of app switching on it, memory management never was a problem for me at all.

To me, I guess if you are looking for a good Android phone, these two are the best ones to get in a store today. But I don't see how people would want to switch from a One X under normal circumstances.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

impulse101

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
In theory, would the GSIII then out perform the HOX if they were both running less demanding launchers such as Nova?

I ask because I currently have the HTC and I'm considering the switch. I typically use 3rd party launchers anyway.... Thanks :cool:

Yes it will outperform it with Nova and it OUTPERFORMS it with Touchwiz. Either way it outpeforms it it by a mile and a half

snoopgoat

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The multitasking isn't broken. It's designed to be more aggressive in order to preserve battery life. Some developers haven't written their apps to save their states properly though, and others are just used to that browser page still being there 12 hours later.

Call it what you wanna call it, but when my 2010 android phone is performing better than a 2012 flagship phone, you know we have a problem. Putting the blame on devs for not designing their apps properly isn't the way to go. Even HTC's own stock apps (like the Notes app) fall victim to this "aggressively designed, non-broken multitasking" issue. I wish people will be more honest about this. HTC screwed up. Big time. They didn't put much thought into the actual user experience. It wouldn't have killed them to give this a 2gig ram (like Samsung). Telling ppl "it's working as designed" is like a terrorist saying "I'm not evil. I'm designed to be murderous"...

Developer of Dock for Android/iOS/webOS, Panes for iPad, Glimpse for TouchPad

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I really, really, really wanted to like the One X. I am a fan of sense and I think the HOX is a better looking phone then the S3. But I am suffering with the battery life, I lose about 10% an hour, regardless of if I am using the phone or not. So I am going to try another HOX and if that is just as bad, then it will be time to switch it out for the S3. Of course I can't wait to see what problems it is going to have. :)

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I really, really, really wanted to like the One X. I am a fan of sense and I think the HOX is a better looking phone then the S3. But I am suffering with the battery life, I lose about 10% an hour, regardless of if I am using the phone or not. So I am going to try another HOX and if that is just as bad, then it will be time to switch it out for the S3. Of course I can't wait to see what problems it is going to have. :)

Tell me your usage patterns so I have a better picture...

Firstly, there is no way you can lose 10 percent of the battery every hour on sleep mode. Does not compute unless you run intense background apps like, say, a torrenting app.

I, myself, get about 15-16 hours on heavy use, and I have the latest update which helped the battery front alot especially lately. I'm a heavy user and still am seeing 10 plus hours on my HOX. Not dumb phone levels but does the job for me day to day.

AT&T folks should talk to this.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm one of the lucky few that hasn't had any problems. The multitasking is a minor annoyance but it seems to have improved with 1.85. Before I updated I couldn't even get slacker to stream in the background. Now it works flawlessly for me.

I'm not really a huge fan of either Sammy or HTC. I've owned plenty of devices from both companies with my most recent being the GNex from Sammy and now have my HOX. I just don't see anything that definitively makes the GS3 a better choice than the HOX and I much prefer the look, screen, build quality of the HOX and from what I've seen the camera in the HOX is still equal to if not a little better than the GS3. I can understand others switching if they are experiencing bugs and HTC doesn't get the issues worked out but I'm just not understanding the allure of the GS3.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: iknownothing

brekfest

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
In theory, would the GSIII then out perform the HOX if they were both running less demanding launchers such as Nova?

I ask because I currently have the HTC and I'm considering the switch. I typically use 3rd party launchers anyway.... Thanks :cool:

If I am understanding everything I've read thus far (no easy task amidst all the trolling), using a launcher will have no impact on the performance. All of that RAM that touchwiz requires, will still be used by touchwiz even when using a launcher. It's important to understand that launchers don't replace skins, they are simply an app that sits on top of the skin and present your homescreen in a different way. So, if you are using Nova on a HOX, Sense 4.0 is still running in the background and if you are using Nova on a GS3, touchwiz will also still be running in the background. That's why you should make the default skin (sense/touchwiz) be as minimal as possible (no widgets or live wallpapers) when using a launcher.
I'm no expert, so I welcome any corrections to what I've said.

Reactions: jharre08

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Call it what you wanna call it, but when my 2010 android phone is performing better than a 2012 flagship phone, you know we have a problem. Putting the blame on devs for not designing their apps properly isn't the way to go. Even HTC's own stock apps (like the Notes app) fall victim to this "aggressively designed, non-broken multitasking" issue. I wish people will be more honest about this. HTC screwed up. Big time. They didn't put much thought into the actual user experience. It wouldn't have killed them to give this a 2gig ram (like Samsung). Telling ppl "it's working as designed" is like a terrorist saying "I'm not evil. I'm designed to be murderous"...

Dude, I've done development myself. You don't tell the OS to adapt itself to your code, it's the other way around. :)

And you fail to define performing "better." Except "better for you." But you always have the option of going back to that 2010 phone if you like it better. Doesn't mean SenseUI is "broken." Bottom line is that it's NOT broken. it's working as designed, via the stated design goals of HTC and Google. You may disagree with them, and that's your prerogative, and you may even choose a different product over it, but it's not "broken" because you don't like someone else's coding and design decisions.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
From what I have heard, touchwiz requires more RAM to run smooth on processors such as the S4, hence those phones getting 2gig of Ram. From what Jerry said in the podcast, not much memory gets left over. Sounds like the One X is more efficient with Sense.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I wouldnt switch.

I get a little annoyed with the multi-tasking issue...its not enough to make me switch but when u have nearly clocked a level on stick cricket and then you have a call which means when u go back, u are starting from the beginning...yeah it does suck a little bit.

I have read all the reviews of the S3 and people are mixed. I was a blackberry user who became very bored of samey phones so needed a change......droid was the only way I was going.

The second I saw this phone...I fell in love with it. I know that HTC will sort out the little issues people seem to be having but I know that I made the right choice (even if I do have to keep the phone on charge when I get a chance...lol).

MasterElwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
  • S3 Screen is trivially larger. Most people can't tell the difference.
  • Camera is not a wash. Not by any stretch of the imagination. HOX wins hands down.
  • S3 can be had with 64gig memory, but not if you get it from AT&T. It wins the storage battle ONLY because of microsd support.
  • MUCH longer battery life is absolutely NOT TRUE, at least given equal tests in equal areas with the same carrier. Comparing quad core versions of both phones, HOX wins.
  • The S3 is NOT faster.

So wrong on all but one of your items.

Oddly, you failed to mention the removable battery that gives the S3 an edge in some people's mind.

The quad core version of the S3 IS way faster than the quad core version of the HOX.

And same goes for battery life.

And btw: the Camera of the HOX is a joke! Can't even record 30fps (varies between 19 and. 23fps).

That's why I get rid of my HOX after 2 month and go S3.

arterio

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
The quad core version of the S3 IS way faster than the quad core version of the HOX.

And same goes for battery life.

And btw: the Camera of the HOX is a joke! Can't even record 30fps (varies between 19 and. 23fps).

That's why I get rid of my HOX after 2 month and go S3.

It's a PHONE FIRST people. Not a still camera, not a HD video camera. A phone. The camera is a feature of the phone. It's for convenience when you don't have a decent point-and-shoot or DSLR around you. I don't understand people sometimes. Returning the phone because of it's camera is dumb. You'll get the S3 and then when something with a better camera comes along you'll probably whine and complain as well and want to exchange.

I just don't get it. Because the camera on the HOX is not shoddy by any means. I've watched a lot of reviews, and seen plenty of comparisons between the two phones, and in some cases the camera is better on the S3, but in others it's better on the HOX. I'd honestly call it a draw between the two. I think it just really depends on the end user and what they plan on needing the camera for. I really don't appreciate people coming on forums and trashing a device for minor differences. Some of you Samsung fanboy's are sounding just as bad as Apple users. Honestly.

FYI, I don't own either device.

4dogstech

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have the european quad core version, I was a bit pissed with a few of the glitches to start with, have tried a SGS3 and won't be swapping, mine is running like a rocket. Check out some of my videos on YouTube at 4dogstech and the opinions and mods I have made.
You know when a car has been out a few years and a new model is coming out, you buy the old model right at the end of its life, and although it's new it feels an old design. That is your SGS3, the design is old school. Imagine how it is going to look 12 months into your contract. Samsung dropped the ball with design and the screen, and it's 3 months newer than the HOX!!!!!! That's light years in mobile phones. I never saw the IOS copy thing till I Tried the Samsung, everything is slightly IOS menus browser, even the way it updates a la iTunes clone. Yes the SGS3 works well if your a Ford man.:D

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site

im a delivery driver for pizzahut and honestly i use gps like a mother freaker. lol. and texting and constantly jammin my music to keep me entertained while driving... and my battery goes from 100%-18% after about 8-8 1/2 hrs of all that intense usage. so there may be something wrong with your battery brahzilla. (and when i say i use gps i mean i use gps almost the entire 8 hrs, its crazy.)

snoopgoat

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Dude, I've done development myself. You don't tell the OS to adapt itself to your code, it's the other way around. :)

And you fail to define performing "better." Except "better for you." But you always have the option of going back to that 2010 phone if you like it better. Doesn't mean SenseUI is "broken." Bottom line is that it's NOT broken. it's working as designed, via the stated design goals of HTC and Google. You may disagree with them, and that's your prerogative, and you may even choose a different product over it, but it's not "broken" because you don't like someone else's coding and design decisions.

You just don't get it. I'm done trying to reason with people over this. This whole "it's not broken" and "if you dont like it, don't buy it" rebuttal is starting to get old...

aboxa

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Registered just because of this thread :cool: (and because I was sick of not being able to click links/pics)

I'm THINKING of sending my X back and then getting the S3 because that phone looks sooo fluid and slick on all the videos I see. BUT the UI... nothing is consistent. It's like TouchWiz/ICS are battling in every menu and screen there is and I don't like that. I don't do that rooting business so however the phone looks out the box is how it's staying. Some people could call it shallow but I'm not a hardcore phone user, I just text/email/camera/browse/few apps. HOX could be a little smoother but I like consistency y'know?

Reactions: imadboitru

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You just don't get it. I'm done trying to reason with people over this. This whole "it's not broken" and "if you dont like it, don't buy it" rebuttal is starting to get old...

That doesn't make it less true, though. Vote with your wallet, that's all for profit companies will really pay attention to.