Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

...Wow. Anyways, been following this thread for a bit, finally did some testing on my end, and find these claims ridiculous. Not saying people aren't experiencing this problem, but i'm not. So there's that.

Maybe HTC should also make a big fat warning label for users who choose to have brightness on their screen set to 100% that they may consume 50% more battery. I mean come on, draw the line.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by dmcincubus; 08-12-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    16gb Motorola X and 32gb Nexus 5
    32gb Nexus 7 2013 Edition
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

Default Re: DO NOT USE "Best Wi-Fi performance"!

I was having this issue, before and after the update... To be honest, I didn't realize how bad it was until I turned it off...

I chalked it up to playing with the new phone, but I could not get through an entire day at all...

After I turned it off, though... I am good with room to spare... Wi-Fi, BT, everything on all the time... Only changes was "Best Wi-Fi Performance" turned off...

I even went back to it for a day to see if I was crazy... Nope...

100 times better with it off.

No noticeable changes in signal or speed either.
    Trying the ONE X again...
    iPhone 4 (RIP)
    Blackberry Torch (BES email)
    NEW MBA 11", NEW 4G iPad 16G
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Come on. Stop being ridiculous.
    Exactly which part is ridiculous? Warning people of a potential serious issue? Why do you seem to have a personal vendetta with this? I mean really, why don't you re-read your VERY first post on this thread and notice the "attitude" in your last sentence. It would have been enough to just post that you are not having the problem and move on.

You want them to push out an update WORLD WIDE to change one line of text?
    Of course not. But had they made the change to the line of text, it would have ALREADY been pushed out with the update that is coming/has just come. It would be a quick, easy, and cost-free thing to do that COULD help to prevent some people from going through a nightmare, like I did for several days, trying to find out what was wrong with the phone.

As others have stated, most people do NOT see a huge difference in battery utilization with best performance on. Just a few users who in all likelihood have some other apps misbehaving.
    icebike: no problem
    port6805: no problem
    wtdoor: problem
    myrddincox: problem
    pounder001: no problem
    xartic1: no problem
    dmcincubus: no problem
    vjr021: problem

So far, that is 5 with no problem, 4 with problem (can't count me, because I am Evo LTE). That is 44.4% with a issue with MAJOR battery drain when "Best Wi-Fi Performance" mode is turned on (which is not a "few", that would be "many" in this sample). No, it is not 100% like the reporting on the Evo LTE, but it is certainly enough to warrant a thread about it telling people, QUOTE:

"I believe this might also apply to the USA One X. Please post your findings, either way..... "

And I think it is certainly worth HTC's attention on the matter.
    Last edited by crxssi; 08-13-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmcincubus View Post
    ...Wow. Anyways, been following this thread for a bit, finally did some testing on my end, and find these claims ridiculous. Not saying people aren't experiencing this problem, but i'm not. So there's that.
    The claims are *NOT* ridiculous. If they were, I would not be wasting time on it. I do have better things to do. I appreciate your adding your data to the thread, which is useful, however.

Unlike certain people on the forum, I will not blast you, taunt you, or call your findings "ridiculous" because you get contrary results.
    Last edited by crxssi; 08-13-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xartic1 View Post
    Have had my phone for 3 months now and I have used best WiFi performance off and on. While I was rooted on 4.0.3 and had no issues. Unrooted and went up to 4.0.4 and still no issues. I make sure my apps are never consuming background data or anything. I feel like that is the culprit to most problems. I have noticed some apps like facebook will stay running in the background even if you task kill it, until you log out.

More or less I feel it could be the user to some degree as well.
    It is possible it is an interaction or combination issue. But my testing was on an idle phone, with no "background data" apps. No Email, no facebook, and any apps killed. I even have facebook and footprints and crap like that completely disabled (I don't use them).

Again, my testing was on an Evo LTE, of which I have 100% confirmation from EVERY PERSON who tried the option. I only speculated that it also affected the S4 (non-international) version of the One X, because it is nearly identical, and several people have confirmed it. Why some people don't see the behavior on the AT&T One X and some people do, I don't know. It really is baffling.
    Last edited by crxssi; 08-13-2012 at 04:47 PM.

I've tested out the 'best Wi-Fi performance' option for 2 1/2 days. I'm using an AT&T device and haven't had a battery draining problem

Now Faster & Smoother!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LesMiserables View Post
    I've tested out the 'best Wi-Fi performance' option for 2 1/2 days. I'm using an AT&T device and haven't had a battery draining problem!
    How much of the time were you connected to a WiFi router, and what type of router?

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    How much of the time were you connected to a WiFi router, and what type of router?
    I spent most of my time at a friend's home and my place - both have Wi-Fi available. I have a netgear single band N router and I'm not sure what she uses.

Now Faster & Smoother!

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    The claims are *NOT* ridiculous. If they were, I would not be wasting time on it. I do have better things to do. I appreciate your adding your data to the thread, which is useful, however.

Unlike certain people on the forum, I will not blast you, taunt you, or call your findings "ridiculous" because you get contrary results.
    Nobody called your findings ridiculous.

People called your assertion that HTC's master plan is to call attention to this issue and destroy itself in the process by deliberately not fixing the problem immediately ridiculous.

But it sounds like HTC is in denial about it, just like they are with "multitasking". They would rather people turn it on thinking it will help with something, then mysteriously develop severe battery issues, not know why, and then badmouth HTC products to everyone because battery life sucks.
    Then you compound that by coming up with statistics based on a few posts in a forum. What about all the hundreds of thousands of people who have no problems and therefore don't visit forums at all?

Stop being petulant and pissed off at every body just because we don't experience your problem.

Some of us have other wifi problems. Like looping trying to connect. But we don't get all whiny just because others don't experience those and assume HTC is out to get us. We work around the problem. I got a different router, cost me a whopping $24 bucks.

The wifi chip set has issues that HTC can't solve by themselves, and they are waiting for software fixes from Atheros, who make the wifi+bluetooth radio.

But it's not a fatal flaw, nor does it affect every user, and there's no reason for you to get all bent out of shape because others don't have a battery issue with best wifi performance.

Sent from my HOX
    Last edited by icebike; 08-14-2012 at 12:48 PM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Then you compound that by coming up with statistics based on a few posts in a forum. What about all the hundreds of thousands of people who have no problems and therefore don't visit forums at all?
    You think hundreds of thousands of people have turned on "Best WiFi Performance???"

Stop being petulant and pissed off at every body just because we don't experience your problem.
    Nothing could be further from the truth- I couldn't care less if someone does or doesn't have the mentioned problem. I *am* interested in providing a warning and collecting more information. I am only pissed off at postings with an attitude.

Yea so I just turned on "best wifi performance" the other day and I have definitely noticed a massive decrease in battery life. I couldn't figure out why "android os" was consuming 36% of my battery when it's usually like 10-12%. With "best wifi performance" unselected I can easily get from 9 am to 11pm and still have about 45% left. With "best wifi performance" selected I got down to 10% from 9am to 11pm. This is a definite issue and not something that should be shrugged off as nothing. Thanks for the post.
    Thanked by:
    crxssi 

OK, I have an idea for a simple test for those who are concerned or interested in trying it. You might need a couple hours to do this, but it should work out to track your battery usage.

Charge your phone to 100%. Set screen to 100%, turn on "best wifi performance", and stream something (audio or video) for one hour. Make sure nothing else is running (facebook, or any other apps that might screw with wifi or CPU performance). Keep the phone in the same place so you're not changing the distance from the device to the router.
    Make a note of your battery life after one hour (or go 2 hours if you want. Or stream one movie)

Charge your phone to 100% again. Keep everything the same (no other apps running, screen brightness, distance to router, etc). Stream the same movie, or stream another hour of audio. Do your best to keep everything exactly the same as before -- the only difference is to turn off "best wifi performance". Check your battery after one hour, or whatever timeframe you used for the first run.

Heck if you have time, repeat this test (both parts) a few times. Keep everything the same as much as absolutely possible, only toggling this "best wifi performance" option on and off.

If you keep everything else the same, doing a test like this (especially if you can repeat it on multiple days) should give you a clear answer as far as how much battery/cpu is being used.

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dancing-bass View Post
    OK, I have an idea for a simple test for those who are concerned or interested in trying it. You might need a couple hours to do this, but it should work out to track your battery usage.

Charge your phone to 100%. Set screen to 100%, turn on "best wifi performance", and stream something (audio or video) for one hour. Make sure nothing else is running (facebook, or any other apps that might screw with wifi or CPU performance). Keep the phone in the same place so you're not changing the distance from the device to the router.
    Make a note of your battery life after one hour (or go 2 hours if you want. Or stream one movie)

Charge your phone to 100% again. Keep everything the same (no other apps running, screen brightness, distance to router, etc). Stream the same movie, or stream another hour of audio. Do your best to keep everything exactly the same as before -- the only difference is to turn off "best wifi performance". Check your battery after one hour, or whatever timeframe you used for the first run.

Heck if you have time, repeat this test (both parts) a few times. Keep everything the same as much as absolutely possible, only toggling this "best wifi performance" option on and off.

If you keep everything else the same, doing a test like this (especially if you can repeat it on multiple days) should give you a clear answer as far as how much battery/cpu is being used.
    Sounds scientific.
    kkapoorr likes this.

Maybe... Simple fact. If you think you know the source of the problem, eliminate all other variables. If it works you know where the problem is. If it does not, you need to trouble shoot again to determine where the problem is. It's not complicated!

Sent from my rotary phone
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

I already tested it, scientifically (one change, repeated, and verified by others), on the Evo LTE and there is no question it was 100% a major problem. But since I don't have a One X, I can't say for sure on the One X. But it certainly looks like it is a problem to me.
    Thanked by:
    thedroidfanatic likes this.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I can confirm on my Incredible 4g "best wi-fi" absolutely destroys my battery life.
    Thanked by:
    thedroidfanatic likes this.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

OP is correct I have confirmed this months ago. Best Performance uses way over 150% more battery for me no doubt about it, just by being on stand by.
    Thanked by:
    crxssi 

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

A simple solution would be to not use that setting?
    Problem solved now stop whining.

So, still no information on how we should "properly" measure battery drain?

Shucks, I was really looking forward to doing some exacting measurements.
    Charge your phone to a 100%, and download Better Battery Stats. Then use your phone with moderate settings, as you would normally. When it reaches 1-2%, check the screen time, and keep a record of how much was consumed by what. Then turn on Best WiFi performance, charge to full, and try this again. You should notice a difference according to the OP.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    HIT THANKS!
    Black HTC One X ROM: ViperX
    HOW TO root your One X, Install a custom Recovery, and Unroot it
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lastnv View Post
    A simple solution would be to not use that setting?
    Problem solved now stop whining.
    I don't think he was wining, just adding more confirmation. Yes, it is a simple solution IF YOU KNEW that was what was causing the problem. And there in is the major problem. Many people turn that setting on, shortly after getting the phone, and don't even know their crappy battery life is abnormal. Others turn it on with many other settings and loading of lots of apps and then have to figure out what happened. It is a stupid setting with nowhere near enough warning to the user.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I appreciate that I am bumping an old thread, but I would like to relate my experience which is directly relevant to the OP's original comments.

I picked up an HTC One a month ago and then on Saturday set up a brand new router. Being a tinkerer, I was fiddling with this and that on the router trying to optimize everything. I also played with the phone and amongst various settings I decided to turn on "best wifi performance". The One has the warning about "may consume more power", but I did not think much about it as I knew I had very good battery life and believed that a bit more power would probably not change matters that much.

Come yesterday evening and my battery life was horrendous and I started scratching my head as to why it had gone to hell in a hand basket. Finally, I recalled that I had adjusted "best wifi performance" and did a search on this. The OP's post came up at the top or near the top (HTC One in a google search also includes HTC One X

I turned it off, recharged my phone and followed battery life keenly. It is far better today. Without a hint of an exaggeration, having "best wifi performance" on cut my battery life by 1/2 to 2/3 (just like the OP's experience).
    Thanked by:
    crxssi 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12