HTC One X Battery issues.

narist

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
This is my second HTC X one in the last 2 weeks. I returned the first one after 2 days because of battery issues. Last night at around 1AM I noticed my phone had shut off completely by it's self (the first one did this also right before it had battery issues). It took a few attempts to get the phone to turn back on. When I went to sleep at 3am I had over 50% battery...when I woke up the phone was completely dead (it was not on a charger). I plugged it in to my wall charger and let it juice up for a few minutes before turning it on. When the phone turned on I looked at the battery usage under the settings. Over the course of the night the battery had dropped maybe 8% and than all of a sudden it went from 50% to 0% in a matter of mins if not seconds. Phone seems to be fine now. Is this just a common problem with this phone?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
There are instances of rogue apps doing that, but not that fast.

Does it happen often, rarely, randomly?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

narist

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
There are instances of rogue apps doing that, but not that fast.

Does it happen often, rarely, randomly?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

The only pattern I can see is that the phone will shut off by it's self a few hours before the battery would drain to 0%. The first phone went from 60%-15% in the course of 2 hours idle in my pocket. The second phone is seen in the picture above and had crashed a few hours before that drop off.

By crashed I mean I picked up my phone and it was completely off.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You got anything installed to tell what tasks are running? Might want to try installing something to help you analyze what's going on:

System Tuner: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/apps/details?id=ccc71.pmw&token=9iUhIvPd
This can show you the running tasks on the device and how much CPU time they're using. Should show you if a rogue app is running.

Carat: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...rkeley.cs.amplab.carat.android&token=B1XFXvM-
This one is newer but simpiler: it'll tell you if it detects any reported or suspected battery hogs.

There's a few others, but I've found these two to be reliable.

ANDROIDinOZ

May 12, 2012
Visit site
my battery dropped real quick on one occasion but a restart fixed it. I've read other posts of others reporting similar issues and blame it on a rogue app...? I'm not convinced but I'm after my 30 days w/ ATT so it's a HTC issue if I want a replacement. My phone has been reliable and flawless w/ this one exception. I've been restarting the phone a few times per week now just as a precaution and all has been good. I get great battery life and can't complain about the phone at all.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had a lot of battery issues with both of my One X units (I swapped one within 30 days). Sometimes the battery works great, sometimes it just drains very quickly. I've never seen it drain THAT quickly, but could be there was a glitch with the monitoring software.

You can try doing a factory reset, some people say that it helps.

These devices are fantastic in every way, except for the battery. I tried tuning some things and turning off some sync options (try turning off Contacts sync - my Gmail has like 1k+ contacts that it kept trying to sync), but if I see any quick drain issues, I am returning the phone.

It can be a powerhouse with an amazing screen and great OS, but if the battery is unpredictable, to me that's a no-go. This is a mobile phone, after all.

amussini

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
for all!!
:) with battery issues maybe it's work for you for me did well.

a) turn phone on & charge it for 8 hours.
b) unplug charger.
c) turn phone off & charge for 1 hour.
d) unplug charger.
e) turn on phone & wait 2 min.
f) turn phone off & charge it for 1 hour.
g) unplug, turn it ON & use as normal, it should solve the problem.
Please let me know if work or not.

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
My first One X got terrible battery life, it seemed to drop 10% just sitting on my desk doing nothing. I exchanged it for a new one and I have to say battery life has been much better. The one thing I did with the second one that I didn't do with the first one is let the battery drain completey before even thinking about charging it. Once all it's juice was gone, I left it on the charger until it was fully charged. Since then I charge it as needed and am happy with the battery life.

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar thing as the OP a couple times. Once it was during the night as well, so I don't know what happened, but another time I had the phone on my pocket and noticed it went very hot after a bit of use, the usual Internet stuff on the mobile network (not Wifi). Again, I noticed it was hot after using it but thought it was OK, so I locked it and put it in my pocket. After a while, the phone wasn't cooling down, but getting hotter instead. I was driving, so I couldn't check on it, but when I got home, the phone was dead.

I have the feeling a rogue app went nuts and was eating resources like crazy, so I installed a CPU monitor to check back if I notice any overheating again. Last time this happened was about a month ago and the phone has been working flawlessly ever since, but I admit I proactively shut down tasks I am no longer using before locking the phone, just in case.

port6805

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I may have found the rogue app that has eaten battery and even over heated my phone: the Sense weather app. In the settings, I unchecked "My location," and the phone held 100% overnight. I believe the constant check of my location was the reason Maps was using 40% of my power. I hope sharing this is of help.

By the way, in Settings>Location, I tried to uncheck Google Location Sservice, and just use GPS, in a test to see if that was the cause of Maps using so much battery. However, if you disable this, you cannot get weather on the iconic Sense weather clock widget, even if GPS is enabled. I do not care if Google knows where I am, but it is wrong to disable part of the phone if I do not want the location service on.

mikie2428

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
do not have one iv had 3 handsets now
the first - battery would charge only thro usb they sent a new charger still he same sent it back
the second - vibrate was faulty it didnt work send it back
then the current third handset - i sent a message litrally 1 min later pulled it back out pocket doest do anything turn on nothing plug it in laptop nothing it was fully charged its got all my data on it im not sending it back until i can wipe it any ideas? iv been looking at all the faults im changing handset the htc is really poor quality do not buy one

xartic1

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Just because you are an unlucky individual doesn't mean you have to tell others to stay away from HTC. I never owned anything from HTC before and think their build quality is superb. 4 years of an iPhone and the One X couldn't have been a better choice. 3 months here problem free.

hansgroter

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
im having the same problem No problems here
sig.jpg

svnaras

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I had this same issue where the battery drops from 50% to 0% in a few hours and based on some research on the internet I narrowed down the issue to LTE + location services + weather app.

With LTE switched off (using the method in How to disable LTE on a bone stock AT&T One X NO FLASHING / HACKING NECESSARY! - xda-developers), google location services switched off and the HTC weather widget disabled I'm now getting almost 50 hrs of battery life with my usual usage (1 hr voice calls total + around 30 mins browsing in total).

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
All i need,is for my phone to last me my school day. And that it does. It last from when i unplug it at 5am and keeps on going till 3,at 3 i have 70% left,where as my last 3 phones(htc evo 4g,htc evo 3d,and motorola photon) would die in a matter of 3 hours with no usage. This phone does amazing in standby. And then it still last me till 10 when i have to work. This phone,epic.

jmuskhtcone

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
This kind of just happened to me. Plugged in all night in the morning dead, plugged back in made sure charge light was on and came back in an hour. Zero percent charged battery, but phone worked. Tested later at work and same scenario, but phone wouldn't die completely. Took it to Sprint and they replaced the battery. I only had mine 3 months before this happened. I have been so happy until now. I was an original EVO owner and nothing but trouble, replaced that phone 4 times in 2 yrs. Really skeptical about getting another, but took the plunge anyway. Hope we are not going to be the victims of another HTC failure.