One X, SIII, or Iphone 5

danvc

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
So I currently own an Htc Aria on ATT and my contract is up on June 26. I have 2 dilemmas in what to do when my contract is up. My first dilemma is between the One X and the SIII. I have an Htc phone right now, and I have been happy with its hardware and software. The 2 things that the SII has over the One X, is that it has a better camera and it's a little faster. Both of those things don't matter to me, however, because my Aria is so outdated, that both phones are HUGE upgrades. The One X also lacks an sd card and a removable battery, both of which don't matter to me, since my Htc Aria only had 200mb of internal storage (which is very annoying for installing apps), and I don't need a removable battery. The One X, on the other hand, has a slightly better display, which I could then show off to my brother who owns an iphone 4s, and hopefully make him jealous. Either phone would be an enormous upgrade over the screen on my current phone, not to mention a big upgrade over pretty much every single aspect of my Htc Aria.

That brings me to my second dilemma which is wether to get a phone now, or to wait until the new iphone comes out. This also brings up switching over to Apple, which I am not so sure I want to do. My main reason for waiting though would be that I really do not want to buy a phone now, locked into a 2 year contract, and then regret not waiting because whatever phone Apple releases is revolutionary. This of course is totally dependent on my assumption that the new iphone will be a huge leap forward in terms of hardware and design. There is also no telling what Apple has up their sleeve, and if it is something amazing, I don't want to miss out. On the software side of things I really think that I would miss my widgets on android. The Iphone's software is just a little bit too simple for me.

So, should I wait it out in hopes that what Apple releases is state of the art, or should I go ahead and buy a phone now in fear that what Apple releases is disappointing? And if I choose to buy a phone now, which one should I get?

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
One X camera is better than s3 camera

iOS 6 has already been announced so we already know what features its packing. So basically you'll be buying into the design. Don't hold your breath for revolutionary. If you've seen the rumored leaks (yes they're just rumors, I know) it looks like a longer iPhone 4

Overall, I love my one X but I'd probly go s3 as I feel it packs better features

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Reactions: danvc

danvc

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
adamtalife, I agree. If the leaked pictures are real, then there's not much to be excited about. And since I would be buying it based on hardware, there's really no reason to consider it.

RPTheLefty, you're right. I need to pick what I want. I've done my research though, and It pretty much comes down to what I value most, like you said. There's No harm in asking for suggestions though.

RPTheLefty

May 27, 2012
Visit site
adamtalife, I agree. If the leaked pictures are real, then there's not much to be excited about. And since I would be buying it based on hardware, there's really no reason to consider it.

RPTheLefty, you're right. I need to pick what I want. I've done my research though, and It pretty much comes down to what I value most, like you said. There's No harm in asking for suggestions though.

Yeah, i understand you're point of view too. I came from an iPhone 4 and made the switch to the HOX. They're two different animals. I did love my iPhone and it never gave me problems. It's definitely one heck of a phone and I'm sure the 5 will be too. I'm on my 3rd HOX because of defects.

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I played around with the One X and to me it's AMAZING! It's Fast, slim, screen is beautiful and all out one of the best phones you can buy. After seeing reviews of the Galaxy S III you also can't go wrong. But Android OS and iOS are total different beast. IMO I think iOS is better as far as smoothness and app layout. Android is cool when it comes to widgets, multitasking and customization. But with the new iPhone that's around the corner you should wait. The CEO of Foxconn says the new iPhone will put the SIII to shame. That's strong words and maybe he's right.

ros3ntan

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you want to buy a new phone today, thr best option is between galaxy s3 and htc one x. In most reviews, they always comment on the touchwiz for sgs3. Its either you like it or you dont. With hox, the main advantage is the screen. Its lcd on par with iphone's retina display. I never like pentile display from samsung because i have to set the brightness to high in order to enjoy the excellent screen in sgs3. In my opinion, i would rather get the htc one x rather than sgs3. Plus, its more rare than sgs3. With the level of attention we are giving for sgs3, it feels sgs3 is worlds apart from htc one x when in reality, htc one x screen is much better than sgs3.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not an Apple kinda of guy so I can only comment on the One X and SGSIII. However, I've not had my hands on a SGSIII yet but I've been plenty happy with my One X as far as performance goes. I'm not a fan of Sense but Nova runs wicked smooth on it. I can't stand the default keyboard so I'm using the ICS apk. As long as you don't have a need for a massive amount of storage and you don't crush your battery I think you'll be happy with the One X.

With that said, at this point if you want more freedom you are better off with the SGSIII. Yes, we do have custom ROMS for the HOX but the devs have to jump through hoops to find ways to get into these damn phones. The SGSIII already has the source released for the AT&T version even. Things might (and I really hope) change for the HOX users eventually. I bought this phone banking on the devs being able to work their magic on it. All I really want is a nice, stock ICS ROM fully working on it.

Just my $0.02...

Reactions: danvc and Tushy57

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I tend to agree with those saying there will be nothing revolutionary on the iPhone 5. In fact, Apple has built a lot of their success on providing something solid, consistent and intuitive, which is great and working wonders for them, but at the same time I believe it limits the amount of options left for revolutionary changes, even more as the iPhone gets older.

Other than Siri knowing sport stats (WTF?), there really is nothing worth discussing in iOS6 for any ICS user, been there, done that... Plus there are alternatives as good or better for Android, like assistant and the traffic-specific (upcoming) Robin.

In addition, sounds like the rumoured screen size increase will not carry a resolution update with it, which means that (at least in theory) retinna displays on the iPhone5 will not look as sharp as those in 4 or 4S. Games and other apps with set resolution will look worse, as they will not fill the whole screen.

The big question mark around the iPhone5 for me is whether it will actually represent a big step forward in terms of battery life or not. I have heard rumors saying that Apple was trying to pull in that direction, but based on the rumored specs for the new casing, I think chances are slim that they can fit a bigger battery inside a thinner phone, even with the slight area increase due to the new screen. Even if they did, a bigger screen requires more power, so I am thinking they will deliver the same experience as the 4S offers... all very much based on speculation, of course.

In any case, for me, my mobile choice is where my data and service usage is. Being heavy on Google stuff, Android was only a natural move for me and I couldn't be happier. I cannot see myself bending an Apple device to do on Google services what it was designed to do on Apple services, it will never be as good. Besides that, I just love the many things Google is doing with Google Play, Maps (traffic support expanding to new countries), Earth (3D rendering where it matters, Apple!), Google Chrome and big long etc.

If all you care about is the device and things going smooth, I wouldn't rule out one of the many Win8 Phone high end phones that will be released in just a few months. I don't like Win8 Phone for myself, but must admit it does a lot of things very well.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an Apple kinda of guy so I can only comment on the One X and SGSIII. However, I've not had my hands on a SGSIII yet but I've been plenty happy with my One X as far as performance goes. I'm not a fan of Sense but Nova runs wicked smooth on it. I can't stand the default keyboard so I'm using the ICS apk. As long as you don't have a need for a massive amount of storage and you don't crush your battery I think you'll be happy with the One X.

With that said, at this point if you want more freedom you are better off with the SGSIII. Yes, we do have custom ROMS for the HOX but the devs have to jump through hoops to find ways to get into these damn phones. The SGSIII already has the source released for the AT&T version even. Things might (and I really hope) change for the HOX users eventually. I bought this phone banking on the devs being able to work their magic on it. All I really want is a nice, stock ICS ROM fully working on it.

Just my $0.02...

Stock ICS ROM on the HOX would put the SGIII to shame IMOP. The display on the HOX is the only display that can hang with the iPhone 4s.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think Iphones are really overrated, especially when compared to Android phones, where you can see much higher specifications, bigger screens and now better cameras (once ruled by Apple) on the current generation. Yes, you do get that polished Apple experience, but it comes at the price of getting stuck in their ecosystem, incurring higher than normal subsidies on the carriers and being forced to accept all of Apple's guidelines strictly.

That is probably not going to change even with a better, faster Iphone, because Apple's design philosophies will likely never change. Most of the friends use the Iphone because it's their first smartphone and they don't know better.

For them, going into unfamiliar grounds in terms of other operating systems can be a daunting thing. But if you are fresh, just get into Android and stay there. Learn from the ground up.

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Stock ICS ROM on the HOX would put the SGIII to shame IMOP. The display on the HOX is the only display that can hang with the iPhone 4s.

I totally agree and that's exactly why I chose the HOX, thinking that it will be done one day. There is a CM9 Kang out there but some things are broken at the moment. Everything will be better one HTC releases the source.

draco1986

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't think you can go with a wrong choice, but I personally would go with the HOX or the SGS3. In my mind there isn't too much different between the two, either will give you a great experience over the next two years. The SGS3 has better specs on paper but they are both beastly phones, go to the store and see what you think. If they are out of the SGS3 your decision may be easier.

Again like I said before, I don't think you can make a bad choice. But I personally would pass on the iPhone 5 or whatever they are going to call it.

brekfest

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
well, you are on an android forum, so obviously no one is going to recommend an iPhone. I'm not gonna buck that trend either. After owning an iphone for 2.5 years, I picked up a One X when it came out and would have a hard time going back to iOS. It's not just the widgets and customization. To me, android is actually a more intuitive OS. Things that would take several clicks in iOS, take just one or two in Android. As a musician, I'm am constantly sharing music files with others via email. On an android phone, I can download them right into the music app and listen to them whenever I want. On iOS, I have to go into my email, find the file, and re-download it every time I want to listen.

I don't think you could go wrong with the S3 or OneX. Like you, I'm not concerned about removable storage or batteries. But, the S3 does appear to get slightly better battery life without replacing it. The other advantage on the S3 is "true" multi-tasking.

On the other hand, the One X has the far superior screen and, imo, a much better camera. Unfortunately, the One X camera defaults to a cropped image that is actually at 6MP, so you have to go into the settings and change that so you get the full 8MP (turn off widescreen). I've seen several camera comparisons that have failed to account for this and have judged the S3 better because it offers higher resolution. The S3 also excessively boots color saturation, which often fools people into thinking it is taking a better picture. On things that can't really be adjusted (low noise, high dynamic range), the One X is easily better.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Like some of the other folks here, I have had a iP3G for almost 4 years now, and frankly, it's boring. However in Apple's defense (and no, I'm not a fan boy), am sure the 'next iPhone' will be a force to contend with. However, it's become clear to me that Apple's goal is to further increase their multi-billion dollar bank account by offering features that continually drain the consumer's account. In other words, you'll love it, but you'll keep paying for it too. That along with the small screen, closed OS and lack of individual customization potential makes Apple a bad choice in my estimation.

I'm eagerly.. let me repeat that.. EAGERLY awaiting to play with the new GS3 and also think the HOX is cool too. But I love Samsung products and seeing the latest tutorial on the ability to plug USB peripherals into it, makes it VERY enticing to say the least! Good luck with whatever you choose!

danvc

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree and that's exactly why I chose the HOX, thinking that it will be done one day. There is a CM9 Kang out there but some things are broken at the moment. Everything will be better one HTC releases the source.

This could be a deal breaker for me to not wait for the iphone 5. My brother got the iphone 4s when it came out in hopes that a jail break would eventually come out. It did, but it took at least 5 months before a stable jail break was released. I would most definitely want to jail break the iphone when I got it, and It would most likely take forever. I have more faith that htc will release their kernel source code.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Why jailbreak and then having to deprive yourself of official updates, while waiting for the next jailbreak version? Doesn't make sense to have to do that for what an Android or even windows phone can do out of the box.

danvc

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Why jailbreak and then having to deprive yourself of official updates, while waiting for the next jailbreak version? Doesn't make sense to have to do that for what an Android or even windows phone can do out of the box.

Exactly. That is what my brother did jailbreak it for, was to have the customization that he could already have on a android phone. I think i've pretty much decided to go with the One X or SIII after looking at many leaked pictures of the Iphone ( if the leaks are real, there doesn't seem to be much of a design change) and with the rather disappointing ios 6. I'm leaning towards the One X, as long as the multi-tasking problem isn't too much of an issue. I like Htc as a company and I like the way the way that they have tried to listen to their customers feedback.

aboxa

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. That is what my brother did jailbreak it for, was to have the customization that he could already have on a android phone. I think i've pretty much decided to go with the One X or SIII after looking at many leaked pictures of the Iphone ( if the leaks are real, there doesn't seem to be much of a design change) and with the rather disappointing ios 6. I'm leaning towards the One X, as long as the multi-tasking problem isn't too much of an issue. I like Htc as a company and I like the way the way that they have tried to listen to their customers feedback.

The HOX multitasking is way different from the Aria. I was loading an AC article earlier than tabbed away to search something so instead of the AC article to finish loading, it had to start over when I came back. So it's better to just let a site fully load before you leave it, I know it sounds so insignificant but little things can build up after a while.

And I should know, I came from an Aria too! The HOX is a huge improvement despite having little things that can be annoying.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
First of all, you've already bought a bunch of apps. Switching platforms is a good way to cost you money re-buying, whereas with the HOX or SG3 you get to use the apps you already purchased. That's enough to toss the iPhone option (besides the fact that you're on an Android forum heh).

I bought an HTC One X, because I like the advantages. I like SenseUI v4, it strikes a nice balance without being overdone (unlike the previous version). I LOVE the fact that HTC included a USB Mass Storage mode for the device: I find MTP to be very slow and clunky. I love the feel of HTC's unibody, even though I ended up encasing it in a Seidio Surface case. The screen is bright and sharp and beautiful, with accurate colors and deep blacks. The battery life is amazing, though frankly the AT&T GS3's should be similar (love those Snapdragons, amazing battery life compared to Tegra2). Not to mention the fact that WebOS's multitasking lives on in HTC sense. :cool:

There are disadvantages though. I can't seem to find the caller announce function I had in other phones but I don't really miss it all that much...though I'd be very happy to find it. No SD slot obviously. The LED is apparently not tricolor, so no using LightFlow for custom alert colors. The speaker is easy to block with your fingers when holding in landscape mode (hence the Surface case by the way). Some people are turned off by ICS's agressive background process management. The stock keyboard, while it is decent and includes pseudo-Swype capability, takes up a lot of space and has no options for reducing the size.

The Galaxy S III will have an SD slot, and will have a finish that, while it is technically polycarbonate like the One X, will feel just like every other Samsung Galaxy, meaning shiny plasticky. Super AMOLED is an acquired taste: it trades actual blacks for whites that aren't quite white, and while battery life is excellent when the screen is dark, whites will suck it dry quick. Oh, and it isn't as bright as the HOX's SuperLCD. Nice to see that Samsung finally started including notification LEDs though. TouchWIZ is also an acquired taste and the experience is quite different from SenseUIv4.

Bottom line: handle both phones first. You really can't go wrong with either one, but it's going to be a matter of personal taste. Handle the ACTUAL phones and use the UIs: don't just hold a dummy device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87