HTC ONE X data hog? PLEASE HELP!

spdwrks

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that their HTC one X uses a lot of data!? Just to put everything into perspective. I came from using an IPHONE and of all the years of owning that device I have never exceeded 3GB of data in one month. I now do that in basically two weeks using my HTC one X. I consider myself pretty savy smartphone user however I cant seem to figure out what is causing this. One thing I noticed that my phone was using a lot was "Android OS" which used over 1.5 GB all by it self last month! Auto sync is usually turned off most of the day as well. I even turned off the "Back up setting" in privacy. Any suggestions?? Not trying to start an IPHONE vs HTC one X war but I never had to look at what apps i was using and how much data im using when I owned my IPHONE. I love the HOX but it sucks I have to monitor everything.

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
are you in an LTE area?

I don't buy the multitasking conspiracy.

Also go settings -> more -> usage and see what's using the most data, it's all right there.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
When I went from the atrix 4G to the skyrocket LTE my data jumped significantly also and the data usage on the skyrocket, note and now hox have all been about the same. All the data counters I've used have been been dead on with what the phones have said I've used. I don't think this can be blamed on the hox.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that their HTC one X uses a lot of data!? Just to put everything into perspective. I came from using an IPHONE and of all the years of owning that device I have never exceeded 3GB of data in one month. I now do that in basically two weeks using my HTC one X. I consider myself pretty savy smartphone user however I cant seem to figure out what is causing this. One thing I noticed that my phone was using a lot was "Android OS" which used over 1.5 GB all by it self last month! Auto sync is usually turned off most of the day as well. I even turned off the "Back up setting" in privacy. Any suggestions?? Not trying to start an IPHONE vs HTC one X war but I never had to look at what apps i was using and how much data im using when I owned my IPHONE. I love the HOX but it sucks I have to monitor everything.

Autosync is not a big data user, you can turn that back on and not worry about it.

In Settings / Wireless and Networks / Usage you can scroll down and see what apps are using the data, (separate counters for Wifi and Cellular).

You can perhaps find something in there that is broken fout a little finer.
Others have reported that the they saw high usage while the phone was trying to download
an os upgrade.

aboxa

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh god I thought it was just me, I've somehow managed to suck down 3.32GB of data in less than a month and I seriously have no idea how. I'm just happy all that data is on my wifi usage, on AT&T it's a cool 270MB.

aakaspi

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this same issue and it's kind of concerning.. I RARELY have data capabilities (except for wifi) on at all and for some reason "android os" is using a ton of data..? And suggestions? Auto sync is always off..

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
"Android OS" could be anything, time clock syncs, facebook contact syncs, pinging google play for updates, all sorts of things.

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this same issue and it's kind of concerning.. I RARELY have data capabilities (except for wifi) on at all and for some reason "android os" is using a ton of data..? And suggestions? Auto sync is always off..

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

you consider 21MB a ton of data? not sure what to say about that.

kacarter1221

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

I had this same problem and went into data usage under settings and probably figured out what it was. My ABC News widget was number one as far as data usage. I took the widget off my home screen and hopefully this'll reduce the data usage significantly. It was using nearly 70mb/wk. I bet this app updates/refreshes on it's own racking up data. Hope this helps. I also keep auto update off unless I"m over wifi.

teletraan1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

Do you have a Hotmail account on your phone? I found that was really sucking a lot of data. It was constantly re-downloading all attachments from every email. I changed the sync settings: 'Download past mail' --> 14 days, 'Mail size limit' --> Headers Only, 'Sync events for past' --> 2 weeks.

Instagram uses quite a bit of data as well!

QuietQuillion

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from an iphone 4 to an HTC one and have noticed my data has skyrocketed. I looked at the usage and it appears to be the app store on my phone. I changed the settings, so hopefully that will help.