Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC One X on Straight Talk

    Help! I bought an AT&T HTC One X from Best Buy and an AT&T compatible micro sim from Straight Talk but have NO idea how to make everything work on it! Can someone direct me to very specific step by step instructions on how to go about getting it all up and running? I don't have a clue how to configure the apn settings...? I need a dummie manual! Thanks!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    Call ATT and get them to link your new sim card to your phone number (give them the sim number).

    Once thats done, you will be good to go...

    Thats really about it. All the rest, you will learn on the phone set up
  3. #3  

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    if you're using straight talk, you should be dealing with that company to activate your phone. a key issue is to make sure the customer service rep with whom you speak understands that you are bringing your own at&t compatible phone and using a straight talk microsim. one poor soul went through three microsims before stumbling upon a st cs who understood what was going on and set him up for the right service - there was nothing wrong with the original microsim, just with the customer service reps!
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magtx5 View Post
    Help! I bought an AT&T HTC One X from Best Buy and an AT&T compatible micro sim from Straight Talk but have NO idea how to make everything work on it! Can someone direct me to very specific step by step instructions on how to go about getting it all up and running? I don't have a clue how to configure the apn settings...? I need a dummie manual! Thanks!
    Straight Talk is on the T-Mobile network ... you need to visit their website to order a Straight Talk compatible SIM. They don't sell Straight Talk SIMs in stores, it's website only.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magtx5 View Post
    Help! I bought an AT&T HTC One X from Best Buy and an AT&T compatible micro sim from Straight Talk but have NO idea how to make everything work on it! Can someone direct me to very specific step by step instructions on how to go about getting it all up and running? I don't have a clue how to configure the apn settings...? I need a dummie manual! Thanks!
    You have to put in the apn settings for att. Go to straight talk. Com and look up the apn settings. I have the s3 on straight talk and its great. Let me know if u need help. I need to know how it works cus i am about to buy one. I will walk u through it.
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    Straight Talk is on the T-Mobile network ... you need to visit their website to order a Straight Talk compatible SIM. They don't sell Straight Talk SIMs in stores, it's website only.
    Staight talk uses all the major carriers. Att tmo sprint verizon. They use att and tmo for byod plans aka bring yo own device. Packged phones are usually sprint or bg red. I use the att one for my s3.
  7. #7  
    5tephen's Avatar

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    Do you still get LTE service using Straight Talk or no?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    Hi, if you got your sim card from Straight Talk, just follow the directions that came with the sim card. It gives you all the info and settings you need. It was so easy when I did mine!
  9. #9  
    SenseMonkey's Avatar

    Posts
    1,786 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5tephen View Post
    Do you still get LTE service using Straight Talk or no?
    Sadly no. You only get 3g,tho im not too sure about hspa plus.
  10. #10  
    romy134's Avatar

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    I just seen the coverage map for Android users on Strait talk, is it really that bad ?
  11. #11  
    anthony2558's Avatar

    Posts
    1,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,301 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by romy134 View Post
    I just seen the coverage map for Android users on Strait talk, is it really that bad ?
    I looked at that myself... I'm not sure if the word "android" is being used properly there. It seems to lead me to believe if you have Android based phone you not gonna have good coverage. But how is this possible? Android based phones are on every network in every country. What does a basic (non smart phone) have over android as far as signal reception??


    Unless they really just want you to buy there non-smartphones. Aka not "android", "iOS", or "windows"


    You'll never take my unlimited data!
    Last edited by anthony2558; 08-16-2012 at 10:16 PM.
  12. #12  
    bkorver's Avatar

    Posts
    806 Posts
    Global Posts
    852 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    I could only guess they mean data. That would make more sense. The only smartphones they sell are android...
    "In valor, there is hope."
  13. #13  
    anthony2558's Avatar

    Posts
    1,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,301 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    I could only guess they mean data. That would make more sense. The only smartphones they sell are android...
    They also sell some old a$$ non android phones too.

    I took this from there terms and conditions :


    8. SERVICE AREA MAPS AND COVERAGE MAPS: You will find Service Area Maps and Coverage Maps on our website, at www.StraightTalk.com/Coverage.. These maps are for general informational purposes only. The coverage maps depict the general coverage area of Straight Talk. The coverage maps are not a guarantee of coverage. Coverage is not available everywhere. The coverage maps display only the predicted and approximate optimal wireless coverage for voice calls



    You'll never take my unlimited data!
    Last edited by anthony2558; 08-16-2012 at 10:32 PM.
  14. #14  
    bkorver's Avatar

    Posts
    806 Posts
    Global Posts
    852 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    You are right, that is what it says. My wallet is still smoking from a purchase I made about a half hour ago. I bought an unlocked International HOX and plan to put a Straight Talk sim in it and see what happens... I will know one way or another in about a month when my VZW contract is up and I can drop them sans penalty...
    "In valor, there is hope."
  15. #15  

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    You are right, that is what it says. My wallet is still smoking from a purchase I made about a half hour ago. I bought an unlocked International HOX and plan to put a Straight Talk sim in it and see what happens... I will know one way or another in about a month when my VZW contract is up and I can drop them sans penalty...
    Let us know how it works out. My international S3 has been pretty bad with data. I'm constantly getting proxy errors.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers03 View Post
    Let us know how it works out. My international S3 has been pretty bad with data. I'm constantly getting proxy errors.
    Proxy errors have nothing to do with straight talk.
    I get them too occasionally, and I'm a regular AT&T customer. Don't get them all the time, just enough to be maddening.

    They have to do with the hand-off of tcp connections from wifi to cellular. Some times the phone tries to maintain its connection to the same web sites or services when it jumps to cellular. But with an ssl connection you can't just swap endpoints like that. Gmail, and web use SSL, as do several other things. Moving to an new IP (dropping wifi and opening 3G or LTE) amounts to total route change, which is SUPPOSED to fail to prevent man in the middle attacks.

    You can often pop to airplane mode for a second or five, then pop back on line to correct this. I've seen that fail as well, and had to use the RESTART option (hold down power till menu appears).

    Also try Settings / Wifi/ Menu dots / Advanced / Auto-Disconnect ON. It seems to help. I suspect the phone properly closes connections and moves more gracefully to another interface (different wifi or cellular) when this option is checked.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Proxy errors have nothing to do with straight talk.
    I get them too occasionally, and I'm a regular AT&T customer. Don't get them all the time, just enough to be maddening.

    They have to do with the hand-off of tcp connections from wifi to cellular. Some times the phone tries to maintain its connection to the same web sites or services when it jumps to cellular. But with an ssl connection you can't just swap endpoints like that. Gmail, and web use SSL, as do several other things. Moving to an new IP (dropping wifi and opening 3G or LTE) amounts to total route change, which is SUPPOSED to fail to prevent man in the middle attacks.

    You can often pop to airplane mode for a second or five, then pop back on line to correct this. I've seen that fail as well, and had to use the RESTART option (hold down power till menu appears).

    Also try Settings / Wifi/ Menu dots / Advanced / Auto-Disconnect ON. It seems to help. I suspect the phone properly closes connections and moves more gracefully to another interface (different wifi or cellular) when this option is checked.
    My Atrix and Galaxy Nexus have never gotten a proxy error using the same ST sim card. I don't pretend to know how the network works or what causes errors. All I know is that almost everytime I use my int. S3 I get errors and with my other phones I don't.
  18. #18  

    Default

    Really? You ran a Atrix with the same sim as your HOX?

    Interesting, since they use different size Sims.

    And yes, this issue seems pretty specific to the HOX. Try the setting I posted.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  19. #19  

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Really? You ran a Atrix with the same sim as your HOX?

    Interesting, since they use different size Sims.

    And yes, this issue seems pretty specific to the HOX. Try the setting I posted.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    I have an adapter because the Atrix and Galaxy Nexus use a mini sim and the S3 and HOX use a micro sim.
  20. #20  

    Default

    I bought the international HOX off newegg and a straight talk micro sim. The whole process was simple. I went to straight talk and ordered the micro sim for unlocked phones. When it arrived, I put the micro sim in and ported my # from at&t. Porting the # only required the account #, name on the account, and of course your phone #. There was a red card that came with the sim card stating this is your phone serial number. About 5 minutes later I noticed service on my HOX and I went and entered the APN settings and I was up and running. I have always had full service in Indianapolis and Chicago. Data has been iffy, I occasionally get proxy errors but on the most part its fine and get decent speeds.


    Sent from my HTC One X
    Thanked by:
  21. #21  
    bkorver's Avatar

    Posts
    806 Posts
    Global Posts
    852 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    I already have my phone, the Straight Talk sim arrives tomorrow...
    "In valor, there is hope."
  22. #22  

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    Straight Talk is on the T-Mobile network ... you need to visit their website to order a Straight Talk compatible SIM. They don't sell Straight Talk SIMs in stores, it's website only.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    I have been with ST for over a year and have towers with ATT
  24. #24  

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    So if I go buy the OneX and a ST sim card, is this phone going to run like crap on the data internet?..Also do you know what towers it would go off of in the phone? Like ATT, Sprint, Verizon?.... I'm iffy on spending 500 bucks for one and wasting my money with a pos.
  25. #25  
    bkorver's Avatar

    Posts
    806 Posts
    Global Posts
    852 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: HTC One X on Straight Talk

    Voice calls would use AT&T towers primarily, but would roam on to T-Mo. Data is strictly on AT&T towers. No AT&T, no data. (That is my understanding, at least. I'm sure if I am wrong I will be corrected shortly). As far as the phone running like crap, I have not ran in to that issue. I am getting respectable speeds on HSPA+ and wifi works just like it would for any other phone.
    "In valor, there is hope."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions