HTC One X on Straight Talk

Magtx5

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Help! I bought an AT&T HTC One X from Best Buy and an AT&T compatible micro sim from Straight Talk but have NO idea how to make everything work on it! Can someone direct me to very specific step by step instructions on how to go about getting it all up and running? I don't have a clue how to configure the apn settings...? I need a dummie manual! Thanks!

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Call ATT and get them to link your new sim card to your phone number (give them the sim number).

Once thats done, you will be good to go...

Thats really about it. All the rest, you will learn on the phone set up

1earful

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
if you're using straight talk, you should be dealing with that company to activate your phone. a key issue is to make sure the customer service rep with whom you speak understands that you are bringing your own at&t compatible phone and using a straight talk microsim. one poor soul went through three microsims before stumbling upon a st cs who understood what was going on and set him up for the right service - there was nothing wrong with the original microsim, just with the customer service reps!

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Help! I bought an AT&T HTC One X from Best Buy and an AT&T compatible micro sim from Straight Talk but have NO idea how to make everything work on it! Can someone direct me to very specific step by step instructions on how to go about getting it all up and running? I don't have a clue how to configure the apn settings...? I need a dummie manual! Thanks!

Straight Talk is on the T-Mobile network ... you need to visit their website to order a Straight Talk compatible SIM. They don't sell Straight Talk SIMs in stores, it's website only.

K504k

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

You have to put in the apn settings for att. Go to straight talk. Com and look up the apn settings. I have the s3 on straight talk and its great. Let me know if u need help. I need to know how it works cus i am about to buy one. I will walk u through it.

K504k

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk is on the T-Mobile network ... you need to visit their website to order a Straight Talk compatible SIM. They don't sell Straight Talk SIMs in stores, it's website only.

Staight talk uses all the major carriers. Att tmo sprint verizon. They use att and tmo for byod plans aka bring yo own device. Packged phones are usually sprint or bg red. I use the att one for my s3.

JACKIEBABY

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi, if you got your sim card from Straight Talk, just follow the directions that came with the sim card. It gives you all the info and settings you need. It was so easy when I did mine! :)

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just seen the coverage map for Android users on Strait talk, is it really that bad ?

I looked at that myself... I'm not sure if the word "android" is being used properly there. It seems to lead me to believe if you have Android based phone you not gonna have good coverage. But how is this possible? Android based phones are on every network in every country. What does a basic (non smart phone) have over android as far as signal reception??

Unless they really just want you to buy there non-smartphones. Aka not "android", "iOS", or "windows"

You'll never take my unlimited data!

Last edited:

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I could only guess they mean data. That would make more sense. The only smartphones they sell are android...

They also sell some old a$$ non android phones too.

I took this from there terms and conditions :

8. SERVICE AREA MAPS AND COVERAGE MAPS: You will find Service Area Maps and Coverage Maps on our website, at www.StraightTalk.com/Coverage.. These maps are for general informational purposes only. The coverage maps depict the general coverage area of Straight Talk. The coverage maps are not a guarantee of coverage. Coverage is not available everywhere. The coverage maps display only the predicted and approximate optimal wireless coverage for voice calls

You'll never take my unlimited data!

Last edited:

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
You are right, that is what it says. My wallet is still smoking from a purchase I made about a half hour ago. I bought an unlocked International HOX and plan to put a Straight Talk sim in it and see what happens... I will know one way or another in about a month when my VZW contract is up and I can drop them sans penalty...

lsutigers03

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
You are right, that is what it says. My wallet is still smoking from a purchase I made about a half hour ago. I bought an unlocked International HOX and plan to put a Straight Talk sim in it and see what happens... I will know one way or another in about a month when my VZW contract is up and I can drop them sans penalty...

Let us know how it works out. My international S3 has been pretty bad with data. I'm constantly getting proxy errors.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Let us know how it works out. My international S3 has been pretty bad with data. I'm constantly getting proxy errors.

Proxy errors have nothing to do with straight talk.
I get them too occasionally, and I'm a regular AT&T customer. Don't get them all the time, just enough to be maddening.

They have to do with the hand-off of tcp connections from wifi to cellular. Some times the phone tries to maintain its connection to the same web sites or services when it jumps to cellular. But with an ssl connection you can't just swap endpoints like that. Gmail, and web use SSL, as do several other things. Moving to an new IP (dropping wifi and opening 3G or LTE) amounts to total route change, which is SUPPOSED to fail to prevent man in the middle attacks.

You can often pop to airplane mode for a second or five, then pop back on line to correct this. I've seen that fail as well, and had to use the RESTART option (hold down power till menu appears).

Also try Settings / Wifi/ Menu dots / Advanced / Auto-Disconnect ON. It seems to help. I suspect the phone properly closes connections and moves more gracefully to another interface (different wifi or cellular) when this option is checked.

lsutigers03

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Proxy errors have nothing to do with straight talk.
I get them too occasionally, and I'm a regular AT&T customer. Don't get them all the time, just enough to be maddening.

They have to do with the hand-off of tcp connections from wifi to cellular. Some times the phone tries to maintain its connection to the same web sites or services when it jumps to cellular. But with an ssl connection you can't just swap endpoints like that. Gmail, and web use SSL, as do several other things. Moving to an new IP (dropping wifi and opening 3G or LTE) amounts to total route change, which is SUPPOSED to fail to prevent man in the middle attacks.

You can often pop to airplane mode for a second or five, then pop back on line to correct this. I've seen that fail as well, and had to use the RESTART option (hold down power till menu appears).

Also try Settings / Wifi/ Menu dots / Advanced / Auto-Disconnect ON. It seems to help. I suspect the phone properly closes connections and moves more gracefully to another interface (different wifi or cellular) when this option is checked.

My Atrix and Galaxy Nexus have never gotten a proxy error using the same ST sim card. I don't pretend to know how the network works or what causes errors. All I know is that almost everytime I use my int. S3 I get errors and with my other phones I don't.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Really? You ran a Atrix with the same sim as your HOX?

Interesting, since they use different size Sims.

And yes, this issue seems pretty specific to the HOX. Try the setting I posted.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

lsutigers03

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Really? You ran a Atrix with the same sim as your HOX?

Interesting, since they use different size Sims.

And yes, this issue seems pretty specific to the HOX. Try the setting I posted.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I have an adapter because the Atrix and Galaxy Nexus use a mini sim and the S3 and HOX use a micro sim.

D.A.R.Y.L.

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought the international HOX off newegg and a straight talk micro sim. The whole process was simple. I went to straight talk and ordered the micro sim for unlocked phones. When it arrived, I put the micro sim in and ported my # from at&t. Porting the # only required the account #, name on the account, and of course your phone #. There was a red card that came with the sim card stating this is your phone serial number. About 5 minutes later I noticed service on my HOX and I went and entered the APN settings and I was up and running. I have always had full service in Indianapolis and Chicago. Data has been iffy, I occasionally get proxy errors but on the most part its fine and get decent speeds.
:D

Sent from my HTC One X

Reactions: bkorver