How's the sound quality on calls?

cjb44

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I've narrowed my search for a new phone down to two devices the One X and Galaxy III and was curious what people thought of the quality of the phone itself.

I know it's old fashioned, but I still use my phone to make calls.

Anyone want to share their opinion good or bad?

rdxhd

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
The One X call quality is good. I have not tested a GSIII but I am comfortable with the HOX call quality. I make calls the regular way and via my car's handsfree tool and they both work very well.

Reactions: cjb44

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have to do further investigation but my HOX is perfectly fine but my wife's that's hiding in an Otterbox Defender has serious issues with muffling her voice unless on speaker. I just need to break it out of the case and see if that continues.

garyf33

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I have to do further investigation but my HOX is perfectly fine but my wife's that's hiding in an Otterbox Defender has serious issues with muffling her voice unless on speaker. I just need to break it out of the case and see if that continues.

Will be interesting to read the results of removing the Otterbox Defender since mine is also in the same case but no one has mentioned that I sound muffled.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Will be interesting to read the results of removing the Otterbox Defender since mine is also in the same case but no one has mentioned that I sound muffled.

Just waiting for her to get home tonight and I'm going to try it out. As of yesterday (in the case) I can only make out every few words because it honestly sounds like she's talking into her arm and not the phone.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Just waiting for her to get home tonight and I'm going to try it out. As of yesterday (in the case) I can only make out every few words because it honestly sounds like she's talking into her arm and not the phone.

Is she left handed?

Lefties sometimes curl the pinkie finger under the phone and block the main mic.
Easy to do on this phone. Other than that, make sure the case is on properly and maybe expand the mic hole.

cjb44

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm lefty and never thought of that. I guess it makes sense if the mic is in a corner and you hold your phone with the oppoisite hand.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Is she left handed?

Lefties sometimes curl the pinkie finger under the phone and block the main mic.
Easy to do on this phone. Other than that, make sure the case is on properly and maybe expand the mic hole.

No she's a righty but I took the case off and did some call tests and lo and behold she sounds fine. I put the case back on and back to speaking into her arm/sleeve muffled sound. I then asked her to hold her phone as if she's talking and I noticed a couple things:

1. She has tiny hands so she holds the phone higher up to her ear and the phone droops down below her chin. (Let's be honest that case is massive and heavy)
  2. When she spoke without the case she was better able to keep the mic closer to her mouth and the calls sounded great.
  3. On speaker phone the calls sound perfectly normal either way. She also held the phone with the mic towards her screen up too.

So I'm going to try and get her to hold it up higher and see how that works otherwise we just may have to get her a smaller, daintier case. Hope this highly scientific experiment helps someone else. :p

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Just get rid of the case.
Buy a warranty, Square trade or competitor, and trust her to be careful.

People who have cases are usually careful people anyway. People who buy cases probably need them less than people who don't buy cases.

When was the last time she ever dropped her phone?

Sent from my HOX

cjb44

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I need a holster more than a large case...but with certain phones you usually get both at the same time. Just so happens Otterbox makes a good holster/case.

But I like your idea.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I had an idiot buyer on ebay who had one of those stick on clear skins for their phone and wanted to return it because people couldn't hear him clearly. I asked if he checked if his case was properly installed and he said yeah, that he was an AT&T rep and that he already tried everything to fix it. Then later on he tells me he had stuck the plastic over the mic hole. Yeah, just wanted to rant about dumb people. :p

Make sure to check you aren't blocking any mic holes.

cjb44

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Here's one that might work for you if you need a holster, not nearly as strong as the Otterbox but might work.

Holster Shell Combo for HTC One X

Worth a look, but I let my kids play games on the phone and they are 7 and 3...it's going to be dropped. No way around it. They even have their own DSi's and I give them old phones with games but no service to play on...using my phone is apparently more fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463