Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1earful
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Default Waking up HTC ONE XL without using power button

Hi Everyone,

Im new to android but am so far really enjoying my HTC ONE XL, my only major issue is waking the phone up, its quite annoying having to use the power button everytime. Is there an app that allows either the volumet buttons or to swipe along the phone somewhere to wake it up?

Cheers,
    Andy

No. Only way to wake it up is using the physical power button that I'm aware of. I've had it since it came out on att (may 6th) and tried different things to see if it would unlock and wasn't successful.

I was thinking though how awesome it would be to swipe from the back but all the way to the recent apps button to wake it up as an alternative.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.20 Stock, AOKP

I believe an app called "WidgetLocker" by TeslaCoil has that option to be able to wake it up via the volume buttons.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Wake All in the market.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rezenk.wakeall

Sent from my HOX

Default Re: Waking up HTC ONE XL without using power button

found one in the play store i really like - it's called awesome on off. awakens the phone when you pick it up. also permits you to turn off the display by passing your hand twice over the proximity sensor area. the latter is a little quirky, but works. saves stressing out the physical buttons on the phone. worth the detour imo.
    Thanked by:
    petaf likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Thanks for that guys, i tried all of them and could only really get awesome on and off to work to wake up the phone.

Just converted from an iPhone 4 and I find myself trying to activate the screen by pressing the home key. LOL

Any software out there that does that?

Sent from my HTC One X

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts

Thanks for the Awesome On Off tip!!!! . Works great!

Try "Tap Tap App". It uses the proximity sensor (waving your hand in front of it). It works great on my newly replaced HOX but the first one I had didn't seem as sensitive. Tap Tap App also has an onscreen off button which is pretty cool.

I tried the awesome on off app and found it pretty insensitive. Looking at the video on Play, the swipes ought to be quick. There is a setting that registers each swipe with a vibration.

There seems to be an internal time setting, not available in the user settings, for the duration of the 'pause' between swipes. As I tried two quick swipes, the phone would vibrate only once and nothing would happen. I found a sweet spot of timing between swipes and the screen would go black. But it was too finicky for me. Sometimes I could get it to work and sometimes it took multiple attempts.

I never could get the three swipe to work. The phone always would turn off after two swipes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1earful View Post
    found one in the play store i really like - it's called awesome on off. awakens the phone when you pick it up. also permits you to turn off the display by passing your hand twice over the proximity sensor area. the latter is a little quirky, but works. saves stressing out the physical buttons on the phone. worth the detour imo.
    Wow, what a phenomenal app! I just have awesome on enabled and I love it! it's great that it only turns on if you tip the phone up, not to the side or from the bottom which allows you to pick the phone up off of your desk with out turning on the screen. Thank you so much for the tip!

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

How is Awesome on battery?

After all, if that sensor has to be kept awake all the time and the processor has to watch it all the time, that seems like a lot more battery than a simple switch.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I tried a few of the suggestions above and for me JustFlip was by far the best. Works great!
    Numontu
    Meerkat Herder

Awesome on off is cool but justflip is cleaner and works better with less chance of accidental on/off.