Has the One X already lost steam?

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I've already plopped down my money for a One X and will be using it for the long haul, but am kind of saddened by the lack of activity on this forum, xda, and various other places. Just looking at the thread movements, the fact that days old threads are still on the front page and near the top on most forums and few new posts makes me think that since the initial launch, not alot of people are interested or buying this phone. A less popular phone will have trouble getting issues ironed out, dev support, accessories, etc. I have no hard numbers but it's just a feeling of listlessness and malaise, compared to say, when the HTC Sensation came out. This is suppose to be a flagship phone but am not seeing the numbers and people. If you read financial news now and again, HTC's sales and revenue have been on the decline, even after the HOX release, and much lower than they were a year ago. Then there's rumors of a quad-core krait 1080p HTC phone being tested for holiday release in a few months and some rather glaring software issues with the HOX have yet to be fixed over two months after the US release makes me wonder about future phone support. It will probably get Jelly Bean like other non-flagship HTC phones, but beyond that, the lack of support and popularity on various other fronts is concerning.

dfve

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I've already plopped down my money for a One X and will be using it for the long haul, but am kind of saddened by the lack of activity on this forum, xda, and various other places. Just looking at the thread movements, the fact that days old threads are still on the front page and near the top on most forums and few new posts makes me think that since the initial launch, not alot of people are interested or buying this phone. A less popular phone will have trouble getting issues ironed out, dev support, accessories, etc. I have no hard numbers but it's just a feeling of listlessness and malaise, compared to say, when the HTC Sensation came out. This is suppose to be a flagship phone but am not seeing the numbers and people. If you read financial news now and again, HTC's sales and revenue have been on the decline, even after the HOX release, and much lower than they were a year ago. Then there's rumors of a quad-core krait 1080p HTC phone being tested for holiday release in a few months and some rather glaring software issues with the HOX have yet to be fixed over two months after the US release makes me wonder about future phone support. It will probably get Jelly Bean like other non-flagship HTC phones, but beyond that, the lack of support and popularity on various other fronts is concerning.

this phone hasnt lost steam, or the fact it kicks ash! just enjoy it for what it is,and find other things to be doubtfull about...like that other fella with the g/f issues, find him a date lol

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If it lost any steam it's likely due to the injunction. That probably had a pretty substantial impact on marketing. If you can't get the word out about your phone then how will people know about it? And you're not going to advertise a phone that isn't available, right?

As for the 1080p phone rumor, I wouldn't put much salt in it. While it's probably technically possible, it would be really expensive.

A more realistic possibility would be an "upgraded" One X-style phone with more RAM and the Quad-core chip, but even before then we'll see the dual-core Snapdragon S4 Pro chip, with the faster GPU. Whether or not they'll be an HTC based on that chip, though, remains to be seen.

I expect the quad-core chip to show up in tablets first, and probably Windows tablets.

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm sorry I can't agree with the "lack of support" statement. I agree with the thread movements being slow but there are quite a few that I keep an eye on and as far as a lot of mods go they work like they should, they don't need anymore discussion and thank God that there are not a lot of silly a$$ "will this work on the One X blah, blah, blah" questions that have already been answered! :p "Rather glaring software issues with the HOX have yet to be fixed over two months after the US release," what "glaring software issues" are you talking about? WiFi is for the most part an international version problem, data dropping was a very intermittent problem for me and after the 1.85 update I don't see it anymore unless it is a signal strength issue. I'm sure you know that within 2 months of launch AT&T had updated the software to 1.85, right? Heck, I was able to install it before the official release! And I do know that there is version 2.09 in development by AT&T but if/when it gets released is anybody's guess. Future phone support I am not worried about. Any other issues that I can think of are related to patent lawsuits. Those problems are not going to change or go away on stock phones but if you are rooted all the issues (multi-tasking, links, tethering) have been resolved within 2 months of release. Hell, that's awesome! Even without the kernel source being released we have access to and can flash different roms, kernels (even one overclocked) and radios. Dev support is not a problem in my opinion. The threads for the One X aren't huge like some other phones but they are also divided up between the US and international versions. I got my phone May 11th and as soon as it came out of the box it got rooted, unlocked the bootloader and was installing mods. That's less than a week after it was released! I like Sense so having a dozen different roms to chose from is not a problem for me. And because of Sense HTC will never be as popular as something like the SIII. Just the way it is. ;)

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The injunction is over.

Steam is lost due to the next phone being released by someone else, and AC as well as all the other sites going GAGA over what ever is next. (And the Samsung flagship is a very good phone).

Steam is also lost because of the horrible impact AT&T had on this phone releasing it with only 16gig, and naming it the same as the international version. I bet HTC learns a lesson here and never allows a carrier to rename the phone again.

The international HOX is a much better phone, less battery demanding radios, all the speed you really need on a phone, more storage, etc, etc, etc.

But with short memory, a non replaceable battery and no MicroSD the LTE HOX model that AT&T is releasing can't compete feature for feature. That is how people in this forum shop.

It remains to be seen if the HOX can compete with the Samsung at in-store purchases by less knowledgeable phone buyers.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm sorry I can't agree with the "lack of support" statement. I agree with the thread movements being slow but there are quite a few that I keep an eye on and as far as a lot of mods go they work like they should, they don't need anymore discussion and thank God that there are not a lot of silly a$$ "will this work on the One X blah, blah, blah" questions that have already been answered! :p "Rather glaring software issues with the HOX have yet to be fixed over two months after the US release," what "glaring software issues" are you talking about? WiFi is for the most part an international version problem, data dropping was a very intermittent problem for me and after the 1.85 update I don't see it anymore unless it is a signal strength issue. I'm sure you know that within 2 months of launch AT&T had updated the software to 1.85, right? Heck, I was able to install it before the official release! And I do know that there is version 2.09 in development by AT&T but if/when it gets released is anybody's guess. Future phone support I am not worried about. Any other issues that I can think of are related to patent lawsuits. Those problems are not going to change or go away on stock phones but if you are rooted all the issues (multi-tasking, links, tethering) have been resolved within 2 months of release. Hell, that's awesome! Even without the kernel source being released we have access to and can flash different roms, kernels (even one overclocked) and radios. Dev support is not a problem in my opinion. The threads for the One X aren't huge like some other phones but they are also divided up between the US and international versions. I got my phone May 11th and as soon as it came out of the box it got rooted, unlocked the bootloader and was installing mods. That's less than a week after it was released! I like Sense so having a dozen different roms to chose from is not a problem for me. And because of Sense HTC will never be as popular as something like the SIII. Just the way it is. ;)

Your argument went south when you said "but if you are rooted".

99.44% of people aren't rooted, and never will be.
Even the vast majority of AC readers aren't rooted.
If a phone has to be rooted in order to compete it will never be top dog.

That said, I love my international HOX which is still unrooted.

Reactions: anon(26204)

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Your argument went south when you said "but if you are rooted".

I don't think so. The original op mentioned "glaring software issues" and "lack of support" two months after the US release. What issues? There are no widespread glaring issues with the unrooted AT&T One X! If so what are they? We are not talking about design features built into the phone by the manufacturer that we all knew about before purchasing, are we? Battery, memory, multi-tasking, links, whatever. I knew about all this before I bought the phone. And multi-tasking does work, just not to the degree some are used to. "Lack of support?" From whom? I see plenty of dev support out there as stated in my previous post. AT&T has already released an update and I would imagine there is at least one in the works right now. Unless HTC builds the same phone for numerous carriers like Samsung does for the Galaxy phones, the HTC One X will not see the popularity something like the SIII will. Oh yeah before I forget, "but if you are rooted all the issues (designed in features that we knew about) :p (multi-tasking, links, tethering) have been resolved within 2 months of release."
By the way, are you not able to see my signature? :D
He said "still unrooted." :cool:

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I do have to admit though that if I hadn't planned on rooting my phone before buying it I don't think I would have wanted it if left unrooted!!! Mostly because of the way AT&T is and I've been with them for years. :)
If I'm really being honest I would NOT recommend ANY android phone on AT&T if it's not going to be rooted, on T-Mo or Verizon sure.
But I also have to mention that the way my phone is now I am incredibly happy with the performance and battery life.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The injunction is over.

Steam is lost due to the next phone being released by someone else, and AC as well as all the other sites going GAGA over what ever is next. (And the Samsung flagship is a very good phone).

Steam is also lost because of the horrible impact AT&T had on this phone releasing it with only 16gig, and naming it the same as the international version. I bet HTC learns a lesson here and never allows a carrier to rename the phone again.

The international HOX is a much better phone, less battery demanding radios, all the speed you really need on a phone, more storage, etc, etc, etc.

But with short memory, a non replaceable battery and no MicroSD the LTE HOX model that AT&T is releasing can't compete feature for feature. That is how people in this forum shop.

It remains to be seen if the HOX can compete with the Samsung at in-store purchases by less knowledgeable phone buyers.

Your argument went south with "international HOX is a much better phone" because that's an opinion. For me it's not. I don't care about Tegra games on my phone (that's what a tablet is for IMHO), but I would like to have LTE support since I plan on having this phone for a little while.

Oh, and battery life on the AT&T version is agreed by just about everyone to be better than with the international version. Case by case might be different, but overall the Snapdragon version is more power efficient.

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Battery life on the AT&T one is ridiculous compared to tegra3.

It is ridiculous! :p
Screenshot_2012-05-22-21-14-02.png

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Your argument went south with "international HOX is a much better phone" because that's an opinion. For me it's not. I don't care about Tegra games on my phone (that's what a tablet is for IMHO), but I would like to have LTE support since I plan on having this phone for a little while.

Oh, and battery life on the AT&T version is agreed by just about everyone to be better than with the international version. Case by case might be different, but overall the Snapdragon version is more power efficient.

Agreed by just about everyone?

I don't think so. Agreed by bloggers evaluating phones perhaps but not every day users.

Very few people who have the dual core version are gloating about their battery life. 21 to 28 hours is the norm for tegra 3.

2012-04-28_14-58-18.png

Sent from my HOX

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Agreed by just about everyone?

I don't think so. Agreed by bloggers evaluating phones perhaps but not every day users.

Very few people who have the dual core version are gloating about their battery life. 21 to 28 hours is the norm for tegra 3.

Click to view quoted image

Sent from my HOX

That's 20% difference, not counting the 4 hours less on your screenpic. That's pretty massive. That's like having a 2100 mah battery over a 1800mah in the same phone.

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Thx for keeping it civil. I think a lot of the issues i hear about stem from htc's aggressive battery saving compromises, from multitasking to bluetooth pairing to emails and messaging and wifi reconnectioning/sleeping/acting weird. I've read and watched countless reviewers compare the hox with the gsiii. The main thing about the gsiii is that it just "works" as it should and as expected, the main stuff, like a normal android phone, and the hox can be very hit or miss. With lte and only an 1800mah battery with 4.7 inch screen, i've heard that the s4 version still has significantly better battery than the tegra version, and comptable if not better thn the s4 gsiii, which has a bigger battery and dimmed amoled. I think it was a bad move, because a phone that dies early but predictably is better than a phone that may not respond properly and quickly bcause its sleeping or whatver, and most consumers are gonna want to return something that doesnt behave perfectly as expected or has delays. Seems like a software decision that they should rethink seriously. This power scheme they have is actually great for me since I am one of those weird users that aren't heavily connected and don't even have a data plan and value standby time moreso than the immediacy of the next facebook update, which I don't have haha. But the smartphone users I do know in real life use it as a heavily connected device, so....yeah. Would it be that hard to give consumers the option to switch between both? An ECON button!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with icebike, HTC totally shot themselves with the AT&T version, its mind-boggling how they expected to compete with the AT&T version, and its even more mind-boggling how many of you have bought it! At least the international (which I have) has 32GB of storage (that's 25GB of phone storage and 2GB internal storage!!!) plus 25GB of Dropbox storage, how the hell can any top-end-smartphone user ever live with 16GB (of which ONLY 9GB is accessible!!!) and not even have Dropbox storage. To those who say they don't care about storage and want great battery life, why not get the One S? The only thing the AT&T One X has over the S is the screen, but the S is also cheaper.

Then we have the issues of limiting the multi-tasking (on what is suppose to be a flagship phone for God's sake!) and unreliabile battery across all/most models, how are they not going to lose steam?

The S3 is the best phone in the market (yes it kills me to say that), by miles in the American market, but only by a bit in the International market. If the multi-tasking issue can be fixed on the International One X with the Jelly Bean update (and work the way S3 and other top android phones do) I believe it will be number 1.

gpo1956

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say it, but i tend to agree that it is losing steam fast. After playing with the S3, I wish I had waited and bought it instead of the OneX. Much more developement, many more accessories and a lot more interest.

Mr. Miyagi

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
My brother just got the s3. I have the hox. I would not trade my phone for his straight up. The hox is a better phone in my opinion. Screen is way better, my battery is better, the build on the hox seems much better, the hox is a better looking phone.

Reactions: nytrus113

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx