[HOW TO] Root your One X!

thedroidfanatic

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Proceed at your OWN Risk

I have compiled a simple and comprehensive guide on how to achieve root, or SuperUser permissions, on almost any ROM on the international One X, granted your bootloader is unlocked.

(This may also work on the AT&T and/or Rogers One XL, but I haven't tried it)

So considering your bootloader is unlocked, and you have a custom recovery, (steps for custom recovery here) along with fastboot files on your computer (used when unlocking bootloader) proceed with these steps:

1) Download the flashable SuperSU zip file (by Chainfire) from here:

http://download.chainfire.eu/204/SuperSU/CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip

And keep a copy of it in your phone.

2) When your phone is on, press and hold the power and volume down button, till it boots into the hboot screen (white screen with some text near the top), don't worry if it takes a screenshot, just keep on holding the buttons.

3) Select 'Recovery' from there.

4) In recovery, wipe cache partition, then go to advanced, and clear dalvik cache.

5) Choose install Zip from SDCard, choose zip from SDCard, go to the folder where the SuperSU zip is located, and flash that.

6) After its successfully flashed, reboot your phone.

7) You will find an app called 'SuperSU.'

8) Now, when you launch an app that requires root permissions, like Titanium Backup and Go Backup, a dialog box will pop up, and if you allow it, the app will be granted root permissions!

Congratulations, you are now rooted :D

Lastly, enjoy, and do let me know If it works for you, ask me any question in this thread and I will do my best to reply to it ASAP, also, do hit Thanks :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Last edited:
Reactions: puffski

thedroidfanatic

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I always thought you had to be rooted before getting unlocked and install recovery :confused:

Nope. Once you unlock the bootloader, you can root it. Root can't be achieved on the Int'l One X without unlocking. And you don't 'need' to root to unlocl

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Once you unlock the bootloader, you can root it. Root can't be achieved on the Int'l One X without unlocking. And you don't 'need' to root to unlocl

Thanks!!... Great set of instructions, appreciate your efforts!

Just for the sake of it, can you enlighten a newbie like me and explain how to go about unlocking?

thedroidfanatic

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!!... Great set of instructions, appreciate your efforts!

Just for the sake of it, can you enlighten a newbie like me and explain how to go about unlocking?

Your welcome Chema! :D

Sure :)

First of all, go to htcdev.com, and sign up there. For the unlocking process you will need 3 files, which i'll send you when I get home, or you could download the entire Android SDK of like 1 gb. But forget that, I'll send you the files, they are small, less than an MB. Meanwhile signup on htcdev.com :)

EDIT

Almost forgot, go to htc.com, go to support, go to the htc one x section, and go the downloads tab, and download htc sync.

So heres what you do till I get home.

1) Signup on htcdev.com

2) download and install HTC Sync, and conect your phone to it in HTC sync mode. This installs drivers.

Last edited:

thedroidfanatic

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If I am not mistaken htc hasn't allowed that yet... Though I am no phone expert

The AT&T One X's bootloader can be unlocked. Try it and then flash the SuperSU Zip, but make a nandroid backup before doing so

Reactions: Iamdunne

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
If you are already rooted it might be easier to flash a boot.img and a custom Rom based on the update.

Sent from my International HTC One X using Android Central Forums.

thedroidfanatic

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Will this still work if you updated to ICS 4.0.4?

If your downloader is unlocked, yes it will! :D

I need to figure out how to unroot so I can get the update. Do you know of any unroot methods?

Yes I do. To unroot, and return to a stock ROM, and relock your bootloader, follow these steps (For the international Quad Core One X)

1) Download the corresponding RUU for your device (Google it) Maske Sure it's the Correct RUU, the wrong one could ruin your device!

2) Run this fastboot command:
Code:
fastboot oem lock

3) Run the RUU

4) Be patient, though If the RUU is stuck at 'sending' for more than 20 mins, disconnect your phone, reboot into fastboot mode, and then re run the RUU (ROM Update utility).

*Disclaimer* I do not take responsibility for anything that happens, though I have tried this method (including the RUU re run) and it worked for me!

If you are already rooted it might be easier to flash a boot.img and a custom Rom based on the update.

Sent from my International HTC One X using Android Central Forums.

Yep :) but he wanted stock, so you can use the above mentioned steps :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke