Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ItsaRaid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hyperlinks disabled/removed from Pop3 email client!

I'm 3-4 days into a new OneX., from a Atrix2. Something wasn't right about the email and I finally pegged it. If I get a email with additional links in it they don't show up typical "blue" as hyperlinks.
    I called HTC this evening and the tech confirmed what I was seeing. He stated.the hyperlinks.were removed from the pop-3 email client on ICS. 4.0. The tech said work around is copy paste.
    Can anyone confirm this crap. Why would they get rid of hyperlinks, it's such a essential tool
    He said they've had complaints about this but couldn't answer what's being done.
    Hope.someone has a better answer.
    Maybe someone from A/C can give HTC a call and get a better answer. Just doesn't make any sense.
    Thanked by 2:
    s02971 likes this.

Default Re: Hyperlinks disabled/removed from Pop3 email client!

Isn't this related to the Apple patent litigation?

My international One X shows up links in blue and they are active, meaning I can just tap on them to get to the website.

US One X had some features removed due to Apple's litigation leading to restrictions on what HTC can do...

Quote Originally Posted by patrixl View Post

My international One X shows up links in blue and they are active, meaning I can just tap on them to get to the website.

US One X had some features removed due to Apple's litigation leading to restrictions on what HTC can do...
    Think that's why. If you have gmail set up as exchange account you can get them there, but I have not found a way for yahoo. I find it very annoying.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

I'm not even able to cut and paste the deactivated e-mail link. What gives???

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.20 Stock, AOKP

This will fix it and turn links into hyperlinks
    "I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
    -Stephen Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by furygoalbrtis39 View Post
    This will fix it and turn links into hyperlinks
    Thanks... Root is required. Haven't figured out how to do that yet but might just do it for this.

There is no restriction on following a URL in an email. That has been available since I was on my Razr flip phone.

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    There is no restriction on following a URL in an email. That has been available since I was on my Razr flip phone.
    What do you mean by this icebike?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamdunne View Post
    What do you mean by this icebike?

Just saying that the iPhone patent doesn't cover that, and it should not have been pulled from the mail app for that reason.

Sent from my HOX

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Just saying that the iPhone patent doesn't cover that, and it should not have been pulled from the mail app for that reason.

Sent from my HOX
    Yes but Apple has a patent on parsing text in a message, identifying it as a URL, email address or phone number, and making it into a touchable hyperlink, on a touchscreen device.

So your old RAZR isn't prior art since it wasn't a touchscreen. And anyone who did this on a touchscreen before Apple did but forgot to patent it.. Is now getting bit in the ***.

It's unfortunate, it's how it is, and the only winners are the lawyers, while the customers lose.

Yes but Apple has a patent on parsing text in a message, identifying it as a URL, email address or phone number, and making it into a touchable hyperlink, on a touchscreen device.

So your old RAZR isn't prior art since it wasn't a touchscreen. And anyone who did this on a touchscreen before Apple did but forgot to patent it.. Is now getting bit in the ***.

It's unfortunate, it's how it is, and the only winners are the lawyers, while the customers lose.
    Apples patent, and the altered features, do not cover this. They only cover what happens AFTER the links are made. HTC already altered the feature so it takes you to a chosen app directly. They have NEVER removed the ability to turn text into links.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Very interesting, I called HTC, they said they were aware of the issue, that the hyperlinks or the ability to touch a web address contained within the email pop-3 email client supplied by HTC on the OneX was removed by HTC on ICS 4.0 verbatim.
    They refused to comment on why this was done, they offered a workaround, copy/paste or use a 3rd party email client.
    Very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Apples patent, and the altered features, do not cover this. They only cover what happens AFTER the links are made. HTC already altered the feature so it takes you to a chosen app directly. They have NEVER removed the ability to turn text into links.
    There's more than one patent that was leveled against HTC. One relates to what happens when you tap a link, another relates to parsing text to find links/emails/numbers to make tappable.

It's either separate patents, or one whole big patent. Either way, the patent is there and that's why the USA version of the One X can't have tappable links in its email client, while my international (Taiwan) One X can do so.

There's more than one patent that was leveled against HTC. One relates to what happens when you tap a link, another relates to parsing text to find links/emails/numbers to make tappable.

It's either separate patents, or one whole big patent. Either way, the patent is there and that's why the USA version of the One X can't have tappable links in its email client, while my international (Taiwan) One X can do so.
    Fella, that is not true. It is all one patent. The HTC phones have tappable links in every other app. Its an oversight by HTC and has nothing to do with the patent in question.

Fella, that is not true. It is all one patent. The HTC phones have tappable links in every other app. Its an oversight by HTC and has nothing to do with the patent in question.

Oversight? No it isn't . Tappable hyperlinks were on my HTC Inspire and HTC Vivid. This was removed due to Apple.

And yet links are parsed and tappable in my International One X, and not on the USA One X.

And why many of the news mention the parsing text in an email bit, as well as what happens when tapping a link?

I'm not making this up, I've googled before posting my previous replies. I'm not attacking YOu personally in any way, so don't take it like that and I'm hoping this "fella" business isn't you striking back in any way and just your usual way of talking. There's no implication to whether you were right or wrong about the patent, or whether I was right or wrong. Just relaying facts that I've found, trying to explain to the OP why his email app isn't behaving the way he expects. That's all.

After much frustration with same issue, I saw a response from someone about size limitations in settings (rather than Apple lawsuits). Turns out my phone email accounts were all set to 5KB (text only) limits in Format. I changed settings to 25KB, the text-only disappeared, and now all hyperlinks work.