Odds the S3 gets Jelly Bean before us ?

rdxhd

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
The odds are good. However, you have to take into consideration that the international version of the phones will get it way sooner than the US version. The interesting part is what Samsumg will do with Google Now given that they have S Voice. They seemed to have invested a lot in their technology. On the other hand HTC will leave google now untouched which is good since it is one of the coolest features in Jelly Bean.

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
The odds are good. However, you have to take into consideration that the international version of the phones will get it way sooner than the US version. The interesting part is what Samsumg will do with Google Now given that they have S Voice. They seemed to have invested a lot in their technology. On the other hand HTC will leave google now untouched which is good since it is one of the coolest features in Jelly Bean.

I hope you are right, but I thought there were rumors that HTC were working on their own voice assistant? If they end up leaving Google Voice alone, I think the upgrade to 4.1 should not be that complicated, specially if they don't add any changes to Sense.

gtr73

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I guess it all comes down to how quickly Samsung can make JB work with Touchwiz, and how quickly HTC can make JB work with Sense.
Touchwiz does seem like a much bigger departure from ICS than Sense

Reactions: prissysox

r3g

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I guess it all comes down to how quickly Samsung can make JB work with Touchwiz, and how quickly HTC can make JB work with Sense.
Touchwiz does seem like a much bigger departure from ICS than Sense

nope. once the HTC and Samsung are done with the update they pass it to the carrier who goes through the process of loading their own software. how quickly the update comes out will come down to at&t.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The SGS 1 upgrades were slow in the US. Europe got them quickly, and hackers would make it work on the US version months before ATT would release the US version. ATT/Samsung would also leak the OTA out 4-6 weeks prior, giving more time for the hackers to bang on it.

As a Captivate user/flasher, if Samsung + ATT stick true to form, JB will take 4-6 months AFTER Europe gets the OTA before the US gets it. It will have leaked out and been in use by the hacker community for the majority of that time though.

Things might be different that there are not different versions at each carrier, but I doubt they will change much. This is my first experience with HTC, so no history to guess on when we get it :). It is out and being banged on at XDA, but will hit a road block soon, requiring the source be available to do more.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
nope. once the HTC and Samsung are done with the update they pass it to the carrier who goes through the process of loading their own software. how quickly the update comes out will come down to at&t.

That's not how it really works.
The carriers don't really touch anything. They don't have anyone competent to do that. These people can barely find their own ass with both hands.

They tell the Manufacturers here is a list of things we want installed and locked down.
Then they take their time testing it, pushing it to a few dozen employee devices or beta team members.

If you want it faster, buy an international unlocked version.

r3g

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
That's not how it really works.
The carriers don't really touch anything. They don't have anyone competent to do that. These people can barely find their own ass with both hands.

They tell the Manufacturers here is a list of things we want installed and locked down.
Then they take their time testing it, pushing it to a few dozen employee devices or beta team members.

If you want it faster, buy an international unlocked version.

I swear I read an article last year saying otherwise. in any case... if you want fast updates buy a nexus. we will get 4.1. its called patience :)

Reactions: ItsaRaid

nytrus113

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had multiple HTC and Samsung devices. Sammy devices NEVER get updates as quickly as HTC devices on any carrier. If you doubt me just ask the folks with the Samsung galaxy s on Verizon what Os they running. Then ask the guys with the original evo 4g. That's a perfectly good example. Have any of the US Samsung galaxy s2 devices even gotten Ics yet? I won't be investing in any more Touchwiz devices for this very reason.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
You guys might want to monitor the GS2 Skyrocket forum. The OTA update to 4.0 has been anything but smooth. In fact it appears its created more problems than anything!

Iamdunne

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
You guys might want to monitor the GS2 Skyrocket forum. The OTA update to 4.0 has been anything but smooth. In fact it appears its created more problems than anything!

Samsung Skyrocket and HTC Vivid came out same time and Vivid was one of the very first phones to get Ice cream Sandwich and Skyrocket just got it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

checkyoulater

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I love the sense camera, and even the facebook integration of photos into the contacts screen, but, there were just to more negatives than positive about sense that nearly forced me to sell the damn thing.

I've gone ahead and finally taken the plunge at rooting/unlocking and flashing in a rom, cm10 (beta i think it is or some preview) and JB vanilla has made me fall in love with the one X even more so that when I first purchased it.

Everything works save for an app or two that i would have liked to install (viber says my unit is not compatible even though it says it's JB compatible). That and quite simply a horrible basic camera app are the only real faults I can find. I know there were other things not working like the TV out but i don't use any of those so they don't particularly affect me at the moment.

Now that I've gone and done the whole rooting thing I will most likely be testing out a bloatware free modded sense/JB version when that finally comes out, although I have a strong suspicion that I will end up with vanilla JB again after everything has been said and done.

For a while there I was feeling a bit bad for getting the One X over the nexus, but with CM10 installed I think looks/hardware and now software the one X trumps the nexus...just my 2 cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz