Range of Wifi on N-Router with OneX

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Let me first thank all in advance, this is a Fabulous place and Forum, when you need help!

I have a Linksys WRT330N Gigibit N Router, and I am using a free app called "Wifi Analyser" in settings on "Signal Meter" to display Signal Strength of the wifi Signal on the Phone. Its measured in Db. It appears to be a awesome app.

So the real question posed is, " What kind of Range should one expect thats reasonable on the One X" using a router like this? Using the app, I had -40db meter pegged at my desk where the router is perched on top of my PC. I walked into my living room maybe 30-35feet away and it was close to -80db, less than half-

I just changed from a Atrix2, to the OneX, still have it and for curiousity sake, did the same. The signal seems better and more "stable"

I also tried the same with the Best Wifi Performance option ticked and saw NO difference.

I hope someone can explain some of this, I had thought that typically 100 feet is a reasonable expectation on Wifi (N)

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Let me first thank all in advance, this is a Fabulous place and Forum, when you need help!

I have a Linksys WRT330N Gigibit N Router, and I am using a free app called "Wifi Analyser" in settings on "Signal Meter" to display Signal Strength of the wifi Signal on the Phone. Its measured in Db. It appears to be a awesome app.

So the real question posed is, " What kind of Range should one expect thats reasonable on the One X" using a router like this? Using the app, I had -40db meter pegged at my desk where the router is perched on top of my PC. I walked into my living room maybe 30-35feet away and it was close to -80db, less than half-

I just changed from a Atrix2, to the OneX, still have it and for curiousity sake, did the same. The signal seems better and more "stable"

I also tried the same with the Best Wifi Performance option ticked and saw NO difference.

I hope someone can explain some of this, I had thought that typically 100 feet is a reasonable expectation on Wifi (N)

I agree, wifi analyzer is great. Are you using the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band on your router? 2.4 generally has greater penetration, so you will see a stronger signal through obstructions like walls and stuff than you will with 5. The signal strength will depend on the power of both the AP's and the client's radio/antennas...its possible that the one in your Atrix is stronger than the One X. I have an EVO 4G LTE, which is a variant of the One X, and I'm hovering around -50db, sitting outside, also about 30 ft from the access point. So it could be that the transmit power of your router is not as strong as your expecting. Do you have an option in the router's web console to modify the transmit power? If not, you might look into flashing a custom firmware like DD-WRT on your router, as it will allow you to change that setting to get better range. I would caution against setting it too high though, as pushing it too far past the level that was intended by the manufacture can shorten the life of the router. You can usually increase it a reasonable amount without worrying about any damage though.

Here is some info that can help with boosting your signal:
http://www.wikihow.com/Boost-a-Router-Signal

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I just checked the specs on your router model and it is listed at ~14db transmitter output power, which is on the lower end as far as consumer routers go. Now, that's not to say that it's "bad" (mine is ~15db), but as a comparison, the Linksys WRT54G router (widely loved and often used as a benchmark for this sort of stuff) is rated at ~18db. This person had an experience that demonstrates the difference in output power between the two routers:
http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT330N-Signal-Strength/td-p/270171

I would say first check to see if there are any other devices running on the same frequency as your router (phones, microwaves, other wireless routers, etc.) since the interference they can cause will mess with your signal. Since you're using Wifi Analyser, not sure if you've already done this, but check to see what channel other networks in your area are running on and change yours to get as far away as possible. The 2.4ghz band is pretty crowded, so if that's what you're using and you have a lot of neighbors running in the same band, it may be tough to find a completely "clear" channel...but still worth trying.

If that doesn't help and you still aren't satisfied with your signal, you may need to look into other routers with a stronger transmitter output power...but this is usually a last resort as there are other things you can do to improve your signal. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like DD-WRT is supported for your router, so scratch that suggestion.

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The other thing to be aware of is that some routers try to "pick the best channel". As routers come and go on the network, (yeah, some people shut these off - go figure), the definition of best is variable.

I've seen my Netgear decide to switch channels right in the middle of the day, with no reboot or anything. Needless to say, everything attached had to re-negotiate a connection.

Now I use WIFI Analyzer and lock that puppy to the best and free-est channel I can find and let the other people's router work around mine. Use due regard for the fact that channels overlap a bit. See this chart: List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams