How can I find out what's killing my battery?

chufflebean

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm completely new to Android, and so far my experience has been terrible! Please take pity on me and help a completely clueless and overwhelmed person fix this problem with my new phone!

I just got my HTC One X at the end of June. Most of the time the battery lasts 2-3 days and drains steadily throughout. But sometimes, it will just die all of a sudden, and I can't figure out the reason!

• Twice I went to bed with 25% power or so and woke up to the phone completely dead.
  • Once, it died while I was talking, without any low-battery notifications.
  • Once, it died while I was using Google maps. I got a warning that the battery was at 14%, and then 5 seconds later, the phone had turned itself off, completely dead.
  • Today, it died in my purse, 8 hours after a full charge. I hadn't even used the phone other than turning on the screen to check the time!

I'm so frustrated. I tried contacting my dealer. They told me to turn off Wi-fi, but then a few hours after leaving the store, with Wi-Fi turned off, the phone died in my hand! They even offered to replace the phone and then suddenly stopped answering my emails. I am past the return period, so I guess I'm on my own, and I need all the help I can get!

The only consistency I can find in these occurrences is that when the phone dies, it's usually pretty hot. And when I turn the phone back on (I usually have to charge it for several minutes before I can do this), the graph showing the battery history shows a very sharp slope at the end of the line (photo attached).

The built-in battery use feature in Settings does not shed any light on the issue. Usually the battery drain appears to be equally distributed among phone idle, cell standby, and screen (at around 30% each). A few other apps are listed, with insignificant percentages.

I'm just at a loss! Does anyone have any ideas?

thegadgeteur

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
2-3 days?! Consider yourself lucky. Coming from a long line of iPhones (it's been a while since I've had an Android device) I'm quite spoiled. For me, my One X on normal 3G/HSPA can go ~12 hours before it's near death. Count your lucky stars, man.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Well your screen shot shows crazy high usage for cell standby and phone idle.
Something is not right there.

Do you live in a Cellular fringe area, with very few bars showing?

Quite frankly, I'd take it in to AT&T and show them that picture. There is almost nothing you can do on a phone to induce that degree of rapid battery drop.

You could install Carat from the marked. Its pretty good at figuring out which programs are the hogs.

But in your case it looks like a defect more than just run-away programs.

And by the way, WIFI does not use that much power unless you are connected to wifi. I never turn mine off.
It just listens for wifi beacons. Listening takes almost no power at all.

Guru

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you used Task Manager? It is in your apps. I use it often to shut down a`pps that I am not really using. Sometimes strange apps pop up that I have never used since buying the phone like Facebook. What the hell is Facebook anyway? :D

Reactions: chufflebean

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke