AT&T One X WiFi problems

jd20902

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Forgive me if this has been discussed already, tried doing some searches and saw a few different WiFi problems, but none related to my specific issue. Pretty new to these boards, so I was hoping someone might have some answers, or can maybe point me to a thread where this is discussed.

Basically my WiFi connects fine and shows a strong connection. Problem with me is that I feel if I leave my phone locked for a bit, when I unlock it it'll still show that I'm connected via WiFi, but no data comes through unless I switch WiFi off and on.

I read a couple threads regarding a similar issue, but it sounded like it was determined this was an HTC thing where it switches your WiFi to deep sleep during the wee hours of the night. For me it doesn't matter what time it is.

Thank you!

LostKhaos71

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my HTC EVO 4G LTE, and it's driving me nuts.

For my EVO, it defaults to "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" so I know it's not that setting.

I've begun to monitor my routers device list, and it seems random of when it actually disconnects during sleep. My phone will show wi-fi connected, but can not connect to anything, and my router shows no connection. I cycle my phone's wi-fi and connectivity comes right back.

LostKhaos71

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I took my phone in to get it replaced as I was nearing the end of my 15 day window, and I didn't want to be stuck with a broken phone, if it was a hardware issue. They kinda knew right away what problem I was having, and told me about an app, WIFI High Performance Widget. I was left with a choice of either trying this app and keeping my phone, or exchanging for a different model (Samsung S3.)

Since I love this phone (with the exception of the wi-fi issue,) I chose to try this app out.

Basically, it turns on the "High performance mode" on the wifi, and you can set it to turn on when connected to certain SSIDs. It seemed to work for a while, but then eventually I lost connection again. In reading the app's description with it talking about the wi-fi power saving feature, I got to thinking if maybe it is in fact my home router. I dismissed it before, as I've never had an issue with anything else before with it.

I enabled the "Best Wi-Fi performance" setting in my phone for a test, and it seems to have stabilized my connection. I also noticed a ping to my phone went from 100-300ms down to @ 10ms, so it seems the power saving feature lowers the priority of wi-fi traffic as well. This setting does warn that it will use more power, but I was willing to try anything. In fact, I didn't notice it using "3 times more battery" that I've seen others mention, but it might have used a bot more.

After a day or so of no connection drops, I borrowed another wireless router to try. With this different router, I have had no issues, even with the wi-fi settings all returned to default. So it does seem some routers don't play nice with the wi-fi power saving features on these phones.

For reference, my seemingly troublesome router is a Linksys WRT54GS v3 running Tomato firmware v1.28.1816 with default settings.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
In fact, I didn't notice it using "3 times more battery" that I've seen others mention, but it might have used a bot more.

A HTC Level two support person told me it uses about two times more battery, BUT he said that was two times as much as wifi normally uses, not two times what the phone as a whole uses. Wifi uses very little battery. To two times very little is still not much.

WIFI will most often SAVE you battery unless you live within two blocks of a cell tower.

Also I don't understand why you had a choice of this phone plus some software or a different phone. Why couldn't you get another of THIS phone?

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
After the update, I noticed that when you wake the display after a while, the WiFi umbrella will " blink, blink, blink " or it will come up "greyed" momentarily before it lights up. The range on WiFi is horrible. Is anyone else noticing this kind of behavior?