My HTC One X(AT&T) 3 months later

vjr021

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
vjr: your THIRD device in how long a period? And are you on the 30 day trial period?

Got the first one the day they came out... tried it for two days, too many bugs, returned it...

Bought another off a friend after the first software update, along with an OEM car dock, got a really good deal, ended up selling it, didn't like it enough to not make the $ off it. plus the lack of Pandora in the car dock pissed me off.

Then my iPhone died last week... given the options vs cost, the X seemed like the best choice...

Still not thrilled with the OSX integration, difficult to sync songs, podcasts, photos vs iPhone (duh, i know) also we are supposed to be able to change the Car app's music selection to anything we want, can't figure it out.

BUT the phone is fast, less buggy then when it first came out, screen and camera are f*&#%$n' sweet... So, until I see how the i5 ends up doing, I'll be on the X.

I have a Seido Active case and charging dock coming tomorrow.

Once I figure out how to use Pandora with car app, i'll order the iDock car dock as well...

myrddincox

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
myrddincox: It's actually as the title says, "Sense 4.1 running on Android 4.0.4" which is not Jellybean. What's also interesting when you go to the XDA site is that in the procedure under "How to Flash" it says 'download ROM and place it on your SD card".. What SD card??? LOL I'm guessing this is for an International version not the ATT one at all.. Anyway thanks for posting.

My interpretation (false as it may be!) is that Sense 4.1 is the Sense update that is intended to be released with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). However, if you're brave enough, you can give it a go on ICS.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Because of my job, I can pretty much have any phone I want. I'm always using a different one to try things out, and yes it can be a lot of fun.

But my phone, that I carry in my pocket, is the One X. I think it's probably the nicest phone ever made, and while Sense isn't really the Android experience, there's not a damn thing wrong with it in my opinion -- and I've tried them all.

sdchris

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I wish the One X had 32gb of internal memory. I'm sitting on the fence of upgrading for $70 at costco or hanging tight for another month or two to see what else will come out for android. I have a samsung focus with wp7.5 and it has 24gb of memory, 18 of which I'm using (8 internal + 16 sd). My biggest concern is that I'll only have 10gb of storage to work with. I heard that ICS takes up 6gb.

I'm on the fence, but your comments on user experience are much appreciated!

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Yea my phone came with 9gb and some change of storage when I first got it. It's not much of an issue for me though, I never stored music on my phone. I just use Pandora or iheart radio. I don't store movies, and once I get around 200 picture I transfer all of them to the computer.

Of course if I plan on flying i'll then transfer music to my phone, maybe download a movie. But if I have reception I have no need to keep things like that stored.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

aboxa

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I must say that Android 4.0.4 made this phone just much more... fluid and makes the phone feel smooth. It wasn't horrid with 4.0.3 but, my device at least, is just so much more enjoyable to use. However, Android isn't butt ugly or lacking in features anymore, HTC should reel Sense back a bit. Honestly the only thing I like about Sense is the widgets/camera app. I think JB looks great and I prefer to it Sense.

I won't root though, I thought about it but 1) it just looks... frightening, and this is coming from someone who isn't even tech illiterate, I didn't hesitate to jailbreak my iPhone 3G way back then and 2) I lose too many features, stuff doesn't work like it should, etc.

Storage doesn't matter to me though because I listen to like the same 10 songs despite having 2,000+ on my home computer.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The reason I returned mine in favor of the GS3 is that with third party apps, if you leave the app and then return to it, you have to start all over again. For example if you scroll down in Facebook to the 30th post and then switch over to check the weather for literally 5 seconds then return to Facebook, it reloads and you start at the top. Same for any game, Twitter, etc. It seems like HTC doesn't want to keep these apps open when you switch away, even if you return in just a few seconds. I wanted to toss it out the window as I have no desire to root. It was a shame, because the screen is incredible, but having to continually start from the beginning was too frustrating for me. GS3 doesn't have this issue.

The multitasking issue has been fixed with the latest update for the hox

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
As far as the price drop, the only thing I can relate that to is the popularity contest with the gs3. Obviously the GS3 is way more popular the the HOX. Samsung did a great job advertising and they bring a great product to the table. Wether the s3 is a better phone compared to the HoX, not for me to decide I've never used one. All I was saying is I love my phone and imo its hard not to love.

I, also am a complete android noob/newb however it's supposed to used. After a little bit of researching I've become confident enough to flash a custom rom, just to find out its not as scary as it seems. It's pretty easy and if you decide to settle with the HoX me or any other competent HoX user can assist you. Also from what I've read it will void your warranty with HTC. So really all you gotta do is get insurance through another party like best buy or at&t.

I bought my phone on release day from AT&T, never had any wifi/bluetooth/GPS issues.

It's not a popularity contest. The One X isn't selling as well as HTC thought it would. That's why their financial performance is still in a free-fall. The GS3 is a better phone, period. It hits all the checklists and doesn't make any compromises. It goes above and beyond what HTC could deliver and it did it as the same on-contract price as the One X. There's a reason why they rushed the device out as early as they did - and even then GS2s and Skyrockets on AT&T were still selling like hotcakes, cause AT&T/Samsung dropped the price on them to $99/$149 and then had that $0 promotion on the GS2/Exynos and later dropped the SR to $99 on contract.

The only way to sell the One X decently is to drop it down to a tier where it is competing with devices like the GS2/GS2 Skyrocket, Sony XPeria Ion, Atrix HD, and iPhone 4 8GB. When you put it in that tier, yes it looks like a beast.

Compared to the GS3 - it looks almost mid-range.

It doesn't help that HTC hyped up their ImageSense chip yet Samsung was able to almost replicate its performance in the absense of said ImageSense chip. The camera and camera software were the most important marketing advantages of this phone, and Samsung has pretty much caught up to HTC there.

They have nothing else to really market against the GS3. Slightly better screen? They can try that, but I wouldn't think they were serious. Apart from that, there is nothing except the external build which doesn't matter to the hoards of people who leave the AT&T store with a 50% off Otterbox case when they purchase the phone, anyways...

The average consumer doesn't flash ROMs, care about locked or unlocked bootloaders, doesn't know what rooting is/means, and is too busy/pre-occupied to spend even a small portion of their day reading techie forums like XDA or (to a lesser extent) Android Central. They just want to pick up their phone and use it, and they want it to work the way they expect it to work.

Last edited:

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
What is this multi-tasking issue? Can't kill running apps? Drains battery?

I too favor the HOX display over the GS3. Coming from a iPhone 4 I'm not a fan of the over prominent blues and reds on the GS3, the HOX has crisp whites probably better than the iPhone 4 which has a slight yellow hue.

In the GS3 make sure "Auto-Adjust Display Power" is off, and you can adjust the color temperature on Samsung device screens. I think that's built in to the GS3, but for the GS2 there is an App in the market for it.

I noticed issues with whites on my SR but they disappeared when I turned off the Display Power setting. Screen is a lot brighter now, and the white in the web browser is a true white now.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The price drop may be because of a rumored One x making its way to the US with a rumored quad-core and Android 4.1 aka Jelly Bean running stock. But you can't beat getting that super phone for just 100 bucks..... I think even radio shack is selling them for only 50

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Actually the super One X features a ramped up quad core, but only for international users. If you read the articles in detail, there will be no quad core version in the US. The price has dropped to compete with the S3, which is smart because there have been a few sales and promotions to get the S3 for as low as 140 bucks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

locote25

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Actually the super One X features a ramped up quad core, but only for international users. If you read the articles in detail, there will be no quad core version in the US. The price has dropped to compete with the S3, which is smart because there have been a few sales and promotions to get the S3 for as low as 140 bucks.

You can see here how TMO and ATT may have it
http://androidandme.com/2012/08/sma...ms-tegra-3-chip-hd-display-and-android-4-1-1/

pocketnow.com/2012/08/08/latest-htc-one-x-leak-sounds-consistent-with-earlier-rumors/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The only way to sell the One X decently is to drop it down to a tier where it is competing with devices like the GS2/GS2 Skyrocket, Sony XPeria Ion, Atrix HD, and iPhone 4 8GB. When you put it in that tier, yes it looks like a beast.

Wow this cracked me up thanks for the laugh. The GS3 has its obvious perks but the terrible scratch friendly materials, blueish amoled screen and imho worse skin make it equal if not worse than the One X.

The real difference in sales comes from an extraordinary marketing budget but forth by Samsung and it's partners.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
In the GS3 make sure "Auto-Adjust Display Power" is off, and you can adjust the color temperature on Samsung device screens. I think that's built in to the GS3, but for the GS2 there is an App in the market for it.

I noticed issues with whites on my SR but they disappeared when I turned off the Display Power setting. Screen is a lot brighter now, and the white in the web browser is a true white now.

I would guess that maybe you should read up on display tech. There's more than just color temperature that determines how accurate the white is on a display.

As for displays in general, the SLCD2 on the One X is superior in just about every measurable way (except for black level obviously). It's also subjectively superior according to a majority of people that have seen them side-by-side. If you prefer the SAMOLED that's up to you, but that doesn't make it technically superior.

iknownothing

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
It's not a popularity contest. The One X isn't selling as well as HTC thought it would. That's why their financial performance is still in a free-fall. The GS3 is a better phone, period. It hits all the checklists and doesn't make any compromises. It goes above and beyond what HTC could deliver and it did it as the same on-contract price as the One X. There's a reason why they rushed the device out as early as they did - and even then GS2s and Skyrockets on AT&T were still selling like hotcakes, cause AT&T/Samsung dropped the price on them to $99/$149 and then had that $0 promotion on the GS2/Exynos and later dropped the SR to $99 on contract.

It doesn't help that HTC hyped up their ImageSense chip yet Samsung was able to almost replicate its performance in the absense of said ImageSense chip. The camera and camera software were the most important marketing advantages of this phone, and Samsung has pretty much caught up to HTC there.

They have nothing else to really market against the GS3. Slightly better screen? They can try that, but I wouldn't think they were serious. Apart from that, there is nothing except the external build which doesn't matter to the hoards of people who leave the AT&T store with a 50% off Otterbox case when they purchase the phone, anyways...

The average consumer doesn't flash ROMs, care about locked or unlocked bootloaders, doesn't know what rooting is/means, and is too busy/pre-occupied to spend even a small portion of their day reading techie forums like XDA or (to a lesser extent) Android Central. They just want to pick up their phone and use it, and they want it to work the way they expect it to work.

God, I hate posts like this. Instead of debunking line by line your abundant use of hyperbole I will simply point out that many of the people I've seen on these forums who actually own both phones prefer the one x. And that two of the editors of this very website use it as their weapon of choice.

It is also worth noting that this is a thread about owners of the one x giving their honest opinions of the device. It's not meant as a competition. You saw the phrase "popularity contest" and wrote a doctoral dissertation about why your choice (and thereby your opinion) is inarguably right for everyone in all circumstances. Others don't like this... Please stop.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
God, I hate posts like this. Instead of debunking line by line your abundant use of hyperbole I will simply point out that many of the people I've seen on these forums who actually own both phones prefer the one x. And that two of the editors of this very website use it as their weapon of choice.

It is also worth noting that this is a thread about owners of the one x giving their honest opinions of the device. It's not meant as a competition. You saw the phrase "popularity contest" and wrote a doctoral dissertation about why your choice (and thereby your opinion) is inarguably right for everyone in all circumstances. Others don't like this... Please stop.

And you think God has to be brought into your post. I assure you, he doesn't care about your phone preference.

It is also worth noting that the majority of people globally prefer the S3. Thus the sales thru the roof.

Sent via SwiftKey 3 on Droid Razr Maxx

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
And you think God has to be brought into your post. I assure you, he doesn't care about your phone preference.

It is also worth noting that the majority of people globally prefer the S3. Thus the sales thru the roof.

Isn't it bad enough that we have platform trolls? Bickering and device chest thumping between Android users is just saddening.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm not going to bother pointing out all the times in history that being the most popular doesn't always make you the best, or right.

Reactions: iknownothing

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Or, to be precise, the majority of bought the S3 because Samsung had infinitely better marketing. More people buy McDonalds every day than gourmet cuisine. Does that make it better?

Oh and to the guys saying a tegra 3 One X will be sold I. The U.S., here's a quote from your article. While there are no new details regarding the handset?s debut on T-Mobile, LandOfDroid claims that the phone is also known as the HTC Evitaire and will be making its way to AT&T.

There you have it. You have one guy claiming something no facts to back it up with. I'd also point out that the tegra 3 doesn't work with lte, so that makes it close to impossible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma