Switching to One X from Galaxy Nexus

luked14

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I recently moved to Android after spending about 4 years exclusively using iOS. I bought a GSM Gnex from the Play Store and the transition was pretty easy. However, there are some things I don't like about the Gnex (screen, battery life, camera). It seems like the AT&T One X improves on the shortcomings of the Gnex and offers some solid features of its own. The One X is very enticing, especially with its build quality and inclusion of LTE. I'm just not sure if being used to stock Jelly Bean would make it hard to switch to ICS and Sense 4 on the One X.

Has anyone switched to a One X from a Gnex, and can you comment on what the switch was like and if it was worth it in the long run?

Any advice about switching to Android from iOS in general would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the Verizon Galaxy Nexus to the HTC One X. It's a pretty smooth transition, so long as you're okay with going back to Ice Cream Sandwich (there's not a lot that changed, mainly some UI stuff). The battery life is PHENOMENALLY better on the One X vs the Nexus. The speed of the phone is still just as good on the One X. I rooted my Galaxy Nexus and had Jelly Bean running on it, and the One X can keep up just fine with Ice Cream Sandwich.

A lot of what is missing in Ice Cream Sandwich from Jelly Bean gets made up by Sense 4. Sense 4, as an overlay, has made great strides in toning down its presence.

There are some nuances (like, you can long press the screen on the One X for widgets, and they aren't in your app drawer), but all in all, it's a great phone. Especially the camera. I wasn't a fan of the camera on my Galaxy Nexus (then again, I'm a photographer and have pretty high standards). The camera on this phone blew me away with all the tweaks you can make as you're taking a shot.

Seriously, you won't regret making the switch.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I also came from the vz nexus. If you are a camera user, that alone will make you not regret it. The nexus camera was good, but lacks features. The sense camera is great, and is feature laden.

Once you know stock android, you can get along with any phone. Whether you like sense our not, is up to you. Imo Sense is the best oem skin out there, and is not onerous to use. I find it polished, compared to the industrial look you get stock. That said, I am running custom rom that has sense for the camera, but looks stock as much as possible :).

Battery life is huge. Twice as good as the nexus.

There does seem to be some issues with network connectivity for some people. I have some issues that seem to track to GPS as a primary cause- leave agps on, but GPS off, and things are perfect with the new update though. Still some things being worked on there that were sold on the nexus.

Car dock is better on the hox.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I am an Gnex user and just bought the OneX for my wife. Having played extensively with both now, I have to say I really do like the OneX. I use to dislike sense, but this latest iteration is great. I have the extended battery for the Gnex, so battery life on the OneX hasn't seemed any better. Three things i love about the Onex are the beautiful screen, the camera, and the solid feel of the phone in you hand. The Gnex is a little lacking on those three points.
Enjoy!

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I switched from Sprint Gnex to AT&T HOX and wow! I loved vanilla android but to me the HOX is far superior. Camera is way better! In fact, I like everything about the HOX better than the Gnex.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I have both. My bad, I know. They are both terrific, but the fact that the Nexus doesn't have a terrific camera doesn't really bother me. Screen is better on the HOX, but there again Jelly Bean is fantastic. My prob is which to take with me on any given day. :D

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
One iDevice feature I personally really missed when going to Android was Badge Notifications...I figured it was a standard, but nope. Maybe Apple "owns" it or something.

Anyhow, after a long time without them, finally found a way to get global Badge Notifications on Android (not limited to only SMS / GMail / Missed Calls like all the other "Unread Count" Apps out there for on the Google Play Store).
Here's how--> http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=199709

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have and use both pretty much on the daily. Both phones offer some great experiences. Both phones are great. But both phones have their short comings. The two main cons i have, one for each phone. The gnexus, the camera sucks. The hox, the sealed battery. Really thats it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

luked14

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! I picked up a One X yesterday, and I'm loving it so far. I'm using Nova Launcher and everything is as smooth as (if not more than) my Gnex with Jelly Bean. The camera and screen are blowing me away coming from the Gnex. IMO the HOX screen beats the retina display on the iPhone. So far battery life seems much improved over what I was getting with a Gnex with an extended battery. The only thing left to try is LTE when I'll be in an area that has coverage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800