1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICE CREAM SAMMICH!

Default My battery suddenly drains super fast

So recently I've noticed my battery seems to be draining about 2 times as fast as it used too... Maybe it's a rogue app?
    According to this pic 23%maps...I used navigation like 16 mins today... And my screen brightness is like half. Or lower. 11%standby seems huge?
    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My battery suddenly drains super fast-uploadfromtaptalk1345676791788.jpg  

Default Re: My battery suddenly drains super fast

There are other threads on this same issue.
    It may be worth while to read those threads rather than start a new one.

Some things that use location services simply call the APIs that are part of Maps, and even if you never launched maps it can get some usage. The Weather widget is one such app, but there are others, like check-in services and such.

Maps will try to find your location even if your GPS is shut off, (and it has to work harder without GPS than with GPS). People often thing turning off GPS saves battery, but it might be causing location services to work that much harder looking up towers and wifi points.

So read those other threads first. Your answer is probably in there.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICE CREAM SAMMICH!

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    There are other threads on this same issue.
    It may be worth while to read those threads rather than start a new one.

Some things that use location services simply call the APIs that are part of Maps, and even if you never launched maps it can get some usage. The Weather widget is one such app, but there are others, like check-in services and such.

Maps will try to find your location even if your GPS is shut off, (and it has to work harder without GPS than with GPS). People often thing turning off GPS saves battery, but it might be causing location services to work that much harder looking up towers and wifi points.

So read those other threads first. Your answer is probably in there.
    If rather someone just tell me the answer as opposed to wasting hours reading other people's threads.... And plus I was only in 1 place today why would it be checking Me into multiple places? And yes I have my gps on

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICE CREAM SAMMICH!

Quote Originally Posted by robertelkins View Post
    If rather someone just tell me the answer as opposed to wasting hours reading other people's threads.... And plus I was only in 1 place today why would it be checking Me into multiple places? And yes I have my gps on

But it's never been an issue before...

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If you used navigation and didn't exit out of it, it may have been trying to navigate in the background. That would be my guess.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    "In valor, there is hope."

Do your own homework son.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICE CREAM SAMMICH!

Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    If you used navigation and didn't exit out of it, it may have been trying to navigate in the background. That would be my guess.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    I exit all my apps out when I'm not using them.

"Maps" in the battery section does not necessarily mean MAPS as in you used the app. Think of it as LOCATION SERVICES that any location aware app pings to find your location.

For initial testing, turn GPS off for a while and see if the drain stops (you can leave aGPS on so most apps will still know your location well enough to work fine, just not something like NAV). If the drain stops with GPS turned off, then you need to start looking at those apps and widgets that use your location.

If you opened up Lattitude on your phone, you need to go back in there and shut it off possibly.
    Facebook is actually really really bad about using your GPS even when you tell it not to.
    Did you install any new weather apps? What about any new apps recently? Especially ones that want to know where you are.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICE CREAM SAMMICH!

Quote Originally Posted by loraque View Post
    "Maps" in the battery section does not necessarily mean MAPS as in you used the app. Think of it as LOCATION SERVICES that any location aware app pings to find your location.

For initial testing, turn GPS off for a while and see if the drain stops (you can leave aGPS on so most apps will still know your location well enough to work fine, just not something like NAV). If the drain stops with GPS turned off, then you need to start looking at those apps and widgets that use your location.

If you opened up Lattitude on your phone, you need to go back in there and shut it off possibly.
    Facebook is actually really really bad about using your GPS even when you tell it not to.
    Did you install any new weather apps? What about any new apps recently? Especially ones that want to know where you are.
    Appreciate all the input guys. I did a factory reset and all is great

I had this same issue where the battery drops from 50% to 0% in a few hours and based on some research on the internet I narrowed down the issue to LTE + location services + weather app.

With LTE switched off (using the method in How to disable LTE on a bone stock AT&T One X NO FLASHING / HACKING NECESSARY! - xda-developers), google location services switched off and the HTC weather widget disabled I'm now getting almost 50 hrs of battery life with my usual usage (1 hr voice calls total + a couple of hours browsing + no syncing, wifi, bluetooth on most of the time).

LOL! That's the whole point of a forum brutha...come in, look to see if others are talking about your issue or topic, read, reply, find answer..fairly simple and does not take hours if you use the search feature

Did you recently turn on "best wifi performance" in the advanced wifi settings? This is most probably your issue. It's a known problem, and it effects the evo lte as well. Don't use this option, as it doesn't do much for you other than drain half your battery.