My android OS uses 100MB a day over wifi

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Just shut down facebook, don't let it sync at all.

Note that 100megs a day is not that much.
The Usage screen, (presumably where you found that 100meg figure) has a slider that you can limit the statistics to a month, a week, or a single day. Make sure you understand what you are reading.

Run the left slider almost all the way to the right, so that the text below shows exactly one day.

Then scroll down and see which apps are using the data. If Android OS is the big culprit, then you can be sure that it is the automatic syncing of your accounts that is the problem.

Lots of things to investigate among your syncing apps. Facebook. Number one Culprit.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
You're on wifi, who cares?

Every intelligent person understands that the full load switches to cellular data the minute you walk out of wifi range.

There are a few things that allow you to sync selectively, only when on wifi, but most don't.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Every intelligent person understands that the full load switches to cellular data the minute you walk out of wifi range.

There are a few things that allow you to sync selectively, only when on wifi, but most don't.

The OP didn't express that concern. How do we know he isn't on wifi all day, anywhere and everywhere and either has data off or airplane mode inbetween.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
He's posting about a phone, not a tablet.
Why would you jump to the conclusion he's never is on cellular data?

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
He's posting about a phone, not a tablet.
Why would you jump to the conclusion he's never is on cellular data?

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Because OP only posted about WiFi? The only one jumping to conclusions is you. Drop the attitude.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

imadboitru

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Because OP only posted about WiFi? The only one jumping to conclusions is you. Drop the attitude.

I'm talking about on my One X , I'm on wifi all day , and I have the Facebook refresh intervel set to NEVER. My friend says he uses his phone all day and his Android OS has used 10MB in 2 weeks. My phone eats 10MB per half hour or so. I'm just concerned if I ever have to use my network. (that I pay monthly for )

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about on my One X , I'm on wifi all day , and I have the Facebook refresh intervel set to NEVER. My friend says he uses his phone all day and his Android OS has used 10MB in 2 weeks. My phone eats 10MB per half hour or so. I'm just concerned if I ever have to use my network. (that I pay monthly for )

Odd. Well, something is syncing in the background. Try turning off background data to see if that does it.

Reactions: imadboitru

imadboitru

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
20120826101320.png

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Syncing Picasa Web albums or having photo automatic upload to dropbox are some of the worst offenders other than Facebook.

Note if you install Facebook, then you have two things syncing to Facebook.
There are a couple apps that come stock on the phone that you should disabled in settings / apps if you install the full Facebook app.

If you have to use Facebook, never let android know your account in accounts and sync. Only sync through the Facebook app, and only manually. Too many security risks letting Facebook auto sync from accounts and sync menu.

Oh, and take a looks at this post to see if some of these bloatware apps are trying to access the net
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-x/200717-international-hox-bloatware.html#post2073052

Last edited: