HTC OneX 4.0.4 update at last !

just.garet

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I got this update about 10 days ago. Other than the app switcher/menu key choice, are there any other obvious differences? I can't detect any differences at all.

I did read somewhere that there was going to be a button to activate the front-facing camera from the start-up screen of the camera app, but that feature still isn't there. Of course presently we have to go in the menu settings to switch to the front-facing camera.

By the way, does anyone else notice the dreadful quality of the front-facing camera? It seems worse than on other phones (though the main camera is still amongst the best in a phone)

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping that using Skype instead of Google talk would help somehow. What about in strong light? The cameras on this one seem weak in bad lighting.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
By the way, does anyone else notice the dreadful quality of the front-facing camera? It seems worse than on other phones (though the main camera is still amongst the best in a phone)

The front facing camera is actually very good.

If you see totally bad images on the front cam its because the lense is dirty. It picks up oils pretty easy when you talk on the phone.

Fold a sharp corner into your lense cleaning cloth and poke it in there and twist.

(I use the "Mirror" app to test this, and of course the image is always gruesome, but its not the camera's fault).
And if you use FaceUnlock, you have to keep it clean or it never works.

Oh, and help me out here....
What would be the use case for a button to access the front cam?

just.garet

May 1, 2012
Visit site
The front facing camera is actually very good.

If you see totally bad images on the front cam its because the lense is dirty. It picks up oils pretty easy when you talk on the phone.

Fold a sharp corner into your lense cleaning cloth and poke it in there and twist.

(I use the "Mirror" app to test this, and of course the image is always gruesome, but its not the camera's fault).
And if you use FaceUnlock, you have to keep it clean or it never works.

Oh, and help me out here....
What would be the use case for a button to access the front cam?

Thanks, that was good advice about cleaning it.

Regarding the access button for the front-facing cam, having such a button would allow you to access it with one touch instead of 3 touches. Now to access the front facing cam from the camera app, you've to 1) touch settings, 2) click camera. and 3) click front. No, it isn't a big deal, but most other phones you can access it with just one click.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the access button for the front-facing cam, having such a button would allow you to access it with one touch instead of 3 touches. Now to access the front facing cam from the camera app, you've to 1) touch settings, 2) click camera. and 3) click front. No, it isn't a big deal, but most other phones you can access it with just one click.

Yeah, I understand that its three taps to get to it.

But what I meant to ask is WHY do you need to get to it at all? (The "use case").
When/why do you need to switch to the front facing camera?

I can't think of a single reason to switch to the front facing camera at all, let alone having this seldom used functionality take up prime real estate on the screen.

Now I have switched skype calls to the back facing camera so that I could show someone my surroundings, but that capability is built into skype.

Pdj79

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I understand that its three taps to get to it.

But what I meant to ask is WHY do you need to get to it at all? (The "use case").
When/why do you need to switch to the front facing camera?

I can't think of a single reason to switch to the front facing camera at all, let alone having this seldom used functionality take up prime real estate on the screen.

Now I have switched skype calls to the back facing camera so that I could show someone my surroundings, but that capability is built into skype.

You obviously weren't a self-portrait-taking iPhone user because that is the one glaring" omission" that made my wife say she hates my phone. I personally don't care, but it is a missing feature to some people, so saying that you can't see its relevance is moot because it wasn't something you've needed.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
But it is there, it's just two extra taps away.

I'd be asking my wife why she needs such quick access to a self portrait....

:O

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

flowburner8

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
So I have an international htc one x and have still not recieved the update. Could this be because the phone is rooted and was when I bought it? I also live in California USA.

Thanks for any help

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
So I have an international htc one x and have still not recieved the update. Could this be because the phone is rooted and was when I bought it? I also live in California USA.

Thanks for any help

I'm thinking yes, that may be why.
Everyone I know with the International model has 4.0.4 now, and we are all waiting for Jelly Bean.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz