Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    Hi All,

    Last week friday I switched to the HOX after being with the iPhone since the very first one.
    I thought I would take a few moments and reflect on my thoughts and share them here for anyone interested.

    Lets start with the good stuff.

    The phone design and screen are just incredible.
    The screen looks just amazing and like the icons are floating on top of it.
    It totally blows the Retina display out of the water especially with the 4.7" sized screen vs 3.5" on my iPhone.

    Being able to customize everything and having a actual file structure just rocks.
    The user interface even though being way more complicated when delving a little deeper is way better then what I heard and experienced when looking at Android a couple of years ago at various stores.
    However since I always jailbroke my iPhones I'm very used to going deeper then just skin deep.

    The speed and animations are very responsive and at the same level as iOS and this wasn't always the case in the past but there are no stutters or lag at all with ICS.

    Some little design quirks that I have irritating this far are the buttons on the HOX specifically the power and volume buttons are very touchy and I always seem to activate the volume levels when grabbing the phone and the top one gets pushed when just looking at it funny or touch it lightly.
    Having a back button is awesome and way undersold on the Android phones.

    The battery live is okay not great but not as bad as I thought it would be and needs a little more consideration on how you use the phone and features vs the iPhone 4.
    But it does last me through the day mostly when I'm not playing with it all the time which is hard on a new phone.

    Some of the things that irritate the crap out of me are not the fault of the design but mostly with At&t and HTC's.

    Starting with OTA updates, I've been trying to update to ICS 4.0.4 since I got the phone and nothing.
    For an update that has been out for 3 weeks that is inexcusable to say it in a nice way.
    Syncing and backup / restore is an utter joke and could and should be easy as pie nowadays but isn't.
    For HTC not having a sync client for Mac is unbelievable.

    So having grown tired of waiting on the OTA update I decided to do it manually and booted into my windows 7 partition, installed the sync manager and backed everything up and started the update.

    I understood that it would wipe the phone and stuff but hey I synced and backed it up before so no big deal I'll just do a restore when done.
    Well no it did not work, I had to set up my phone again like I did when I first got it.
    Yes the Google stuff and apps no problem but everything else not so much.
    I had to enter all my settings again including all my email accounts wallpaper and anything else you can think of.
    I mean WTF are they thinking? this should be a no brainer, I should be able to attach my phone and restore to get everything back the way it was.

    People on how bloated iTunes is and that everything has to go through it but at least it works.
    Anyway I will never do that again and hope that HTC, At&t and google get their act together to fix that simple stuff.

    The other thing which is small and probably can be fixed and I just have not figured it out yet is that every time I download a app it wants to put a shortcut on my home screens somewhere and I don't like that.
    If I want an icon shortcut there I will put it there, isn't that the reason you have a app drawer.

    Anyway other than that I love the phone and OS and highly recommend the phone.
    If you like me are coming from the iPhone my advice is simple.
    Do not compare the two on how things were done on your old phone but look at it as the new device and way of doing things it is.
    If you only look for bad things then that is all you will find.

    Sorry for the lengthy post and I hope that it will help someone.
    If you have any pointers or tips please let me hear them.
    Oh I'll attach a pic of my Home screen too.

    Thanks,
    Dukeblue91
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone-2012-08-24_11-15-06.jpg  
    If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?
    Thanked by 3:
  2. #2  

    Default

    Only things I can comment on are

    Google play store options allow to not have app sent to homescreen.

    Updates just take longer than others

    Sent from my HTC One X
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by erwaso View Post
    Only things I can comment on are

    Google play store options allow to not have app sent to homescreen.

    Updates just take longer than others

    Sent from my HTC One X
    Thank you for the store tip.
    I can't believe that I missed this in the settings.
    If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    I myself just came from the iPhone after having the 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4S and I must say I agree with pretty much everything you have said. I kept trying to get the update to 4.0.4 and finally gave up because it just wasn't finding it. It doesn't bug me to much though. The thing that bugs me the most is the lack in support for OSX, I can't believe they don't support Macs.
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by lattemaker View Post
    The thing that bugs me the most is the lack in support for OSX, I can't believe they don't support Macs.
    Chuckle...

    Your mistake is plugging your phone into your computer. This is Android. We don't need to cable up for ANYTHING. Just lose your old Apple habits, put the cord away, and you will be much happier.

    I've never even once cabled my HOX to my Computer. Its 2012, big guy, not 1998 any more.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    I used the air android app and as great of an app as it is it is nowhere near iTunes.
    Lest also not forget that you don't need a cable to sync with iTunes and can do everything via wifi too but USB is way faster then wifi and when you have allot of data it helps tremendously.
    Irregardless of all that it is still a shame that when you do a restore with the HOX it does not do a complete restore and that is what I'm having issues with and only brought up iTunes and iOS as an example since this is the only other Mobil platform I have ever used before now.
    And I can't think of any technical reason why it can't be done under Android or at least the HOX.

    Other than that I'm learning more and more about my awesome little phone on a daily basis and loving it more every day.
    If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    I read your article and thought I would respond. On my HTC EVO I have Amon Ra installed which allows me to put a complete backup of everything on the SD card. Whenever I want all I do is hit restart go to recovery then to restore and the phone is brought back to exactly what it was. I use this feature whenever I go into the phone and add something that causes trouble. IAfter I change something in the phone I do a backup , that way if I have to make a "nand" recovery its exactly like the latest phone configeration.
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  
    adipabeta's Avatar

    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Samung Ics Indonesia

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    Yes. We only need our android to backup and restore. I love my first android. :-)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by leon odell View Post
    I read your article and thought I would respond. On my HTC EVO I have Amon Ra installed which allows me to put a complete backup of everything on the SD card. Whenever I want all I do is hit restart go to recovery then to restore and the phone is brought back to exactly what it was. I use this feature whenever I go into the phone and add something that causes trouble. IAfter I change something in the phone I do a backup , that way if I have to make a "nand" recovery its exactly like the latest phone configeration.
    Thank you Leon
    I will check that app out.
    If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    first, Good luck with your purchase.

    second, you made a right choice... one x is a good device...

    third, with jelly bean which you will get soon the lag is gone.

    forth, unlike iphone you have total control over your phone so you can better manage your batter as well.
    i use to get 1-1 and half day of battery life before but now i get 3 days solid.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    Just out of curiosity, why did you choose HOX over Samsung galaxy s3?
  12. #12  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    cables uhh? I have never used a cable with my android... WIFI sync, and transfers are really fast. I didn't have problems with my upgrade. anyway. it is your first week, you will learn more around here.. go to XDA.com and have fun with your phone.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by austriak View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why did you choose HOX over Samsung galaxy s3?
    I chose HOX over S3 mainly because I have the captivate then S2. Wanted something different. Glad I made the change. Been a great phone.
  14. #14  
    Pengwn's Avatar

    Posts
    35 Posts
    ROM
    JB Paranoid Android 1.99

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue91 View Post
    The other thing which is small and probably can be fixed and I just have not figured it out yet is that every time I download a app it wants to put a shortcut on my home screens somewhere and I don't like that.
    It's a simple fix! When you are in the play store, just go into the settings and uncheck "auto add to homescreen". That will solve this issue you are having.

    If you are familiar with jailbreaking, I'd highly suggest looking into unlocking/rooting your device. The only thing I was truly jealous iOS users had that Android users didn't have was timely OTA updates. Once you look at the bigger picture, it's a little easier to understand why it takes a little(well...) longer to get your OTA. Each manufacture applies their own custom Android ROM to their devices. Since you have an HTC device, you will be running their Sense ROM. Once google releases the newest version of Android, the manufactures then have to take the new code and make it work with theirs. If you're unlocked/rooted, you don't have to wait for the manufactures to update their code as you can flash one of the many custom ROMs that are put together by some very hard working developers.

    One X Development - RootzWiki

    As you can see, there are many ROMs available for your phone. This way, you can skip ICS and go straight to JB!! If you really want a fast phone with no lag and improved battery life, I'd strongly suggest flashing a JB ROM. I'd also suggest going with a stable version of a ROM when you're first starting out as builds(nightlies) are usually tests with bugs to be expected.

    Welcome to Android!! Enjoy your stay
  15. #15  

    Default

    in the play store there's a setting. Where you turn off that auto add widget or app after downloading an app



    Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue91 View Post
    Hi All,

    Last week friday I switched to the HOX after being with the iPhone since the very first one.
    I thought I would take a few moments and reflect on my thoughts and share them here for anyone interested.

    Lets start with the good stuff.

    The phone design and screen are just incredible.
    The screen looks just amazing and like the icons are floating on top of it.
    It totally blows the Retina display out of the water especially with the 4.7" sized screen vs 3.5" on my iPhone.

    Being able to customize everything and having a actual file structure just rocks.
    The user interface even though being way more complicated when delving a little deeper is way better then what I heard and experienced when looking at Android a couple of years ago at various stores.
    However since I always jailbroke my iPhones I'm very used to going deeper then just skin deep.

    The speed and animations are very responsive and at the same level as iOS and this wasn't always the case in the past but there are no stutters or lag at all with ICS.

    Some little design quirks that I have irritating this far are the buttons on the HOX specifically the power and volume buttons are very touchy and I always seem to activate the volume levels when grabbing the phone and the top one gets pushed when just looking at it funny or touch it lightly.
    Having a back button is awesome and way undersold on the Android phones.

    The battery live is okay not great but not as bad as I thought it would be and needs a little more consideration on how you use the phone and features vs the iPhone 4.
    But it does last me through the day mostly when I'm not playing with it all the time which is hard on a new phone.

    Some of the things that irritate the crap out of me are not the fault of the design but mostly with At&t and HTC's.

    Starting with OTA updates, I've been trying to update to ICS 4.0.4 since I got the phone and nothing.
    For an update that has been out for 3 weeks that is inexcusable to say it in a nice way.
    Syncing and backup / restore is an utter joke and could and should be easy as pie nowadays but isn't.
    For HTC not having a sync client for Mac is unbelievable.

    So having grown tired of waiting on the OTA update I decided to do it manually and booted into my windows 7 partition, installed the sync manager and backed everything up and started the update.

    I understood that it would wipe the phone and stuff but hey I synced and backed it up before so no big deal I'll just do a restore when done.
    Well no it did not work, I had to set up my phone again like I did when I first got it.
    Yes the Google stuff and apps no problem but everything else not so much.
    I had to enter all my settings again including all my email accounts wallpaper and anything else you can think of.
    I mean WTF are they thinking? this should be a no brainer, I should be able to attach my phone and restore to get everything back the way it was.

    People on how bloated iTunes is and that everything has to go through it but at least it works.
    Anyway I will never do that again and hope that HTC, At&t and google get their act together to fix that simple stuff.

    The other thing which is small and probably can be fixed and I just have not figured it out yet is that every time I download a app it wants to put a shortcut on my home screens somewhere and I don't like that.
    If I want an icon shortcut there I will put it there, isn't that the reason you have a app drawer.

    Anyway other than that I love the phone and OS and highly recommend the phone.
    If you like me are coming from the iPhone my advice is simple.
    Do not compare the two on how things were done on your old phone but look at it as the new device and way of doing things it is.
    If you only look for bad things then that is all you will find.

    Sorry for the lengthy post and I hope that it will help someone.
    If you have any pointers or tips please let me hear them.
    Oh I'll attach a pic of my Home screen too.

    Thanks,
    Dukeblue91
  16. #16  
    The Shag's Avatar

    Posts
    29 Posts
    ROM
    CM7.2 on G2x

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    Since you already figured out the issue with apps showing up on your homescreen, let me point you to a couple of awesome apps that address your other issues.

    Juice Defender will add hours to your phone's life. If you are willing to unlock and root, the Ultimate version of the app is magnificent.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...VkZWZlbmRlciJd

    And if you unlock and root, ROM Manager is another awesome tool to do full back-ups. This saved my life while I was serving in Afghanistan. I used my phone as just a wi-fi device, and had put a custom ROM on it a while back. Growing bored with it, I spent a few days downloading AOKP (The internet out here is INTENSELY slow). After installing it, I realized that downloading all of my apps, especially the bigger ones, was entirely unrealistic, so I just went into ROM Manager and restored the back-up I made just before AOKP. BOOSH! Everything back and it was exactly as before.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...9tbWFuYWdlciJd
    Last edited by The Shag; 08-25-2012 at 08:02 AM.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    I can't help you with everything, but the icons appearing on the main menu issue is rather an easy one. From your google play settings, there is an option which goes something along the line of "Automatically add new widgets/addons/downloads" that allows you to control this problem.

    I have had a similar experience, but it wasn't a move from a phone of almost similar stats: I had a Nokia N81 8GB for almost 4 years until I switched from that to a GS3 almost a month after the GS3's release.

    I love the phone, it does everything I want and more. It's an entirely different experience for me coming from a phone of the previous generation but I managed to settle down soon. Also, the amount of apps is scary.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    After owning the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 4, I too made the jump to a S3 last week. I'm loving it. Everything that I used to jailbreak my phone for I can now do without much hassle.
  19. #19  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,950 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,153 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by leon odell View Post
    I read your article and thought I would respond. On my HTC EVO I have Amon Ra installed which allows me to put a complete backup of everything on the SD card. Whenever I want all I do is hit restart go to recovery then to restore and the phone is brought back to exactly what it was. I use this feature whenever I go into the phone and add something that causes trouble. IAfter I change something in the phone I do a backup , that way if I have to make a "nand" recovery its exactly like the latest phone configeration.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue91 View Post
    Thank you Leon
    I will check that app out.
    What he's talking about requires you to be rooted and running a custom recovery. If you root, you can then use Titanium Backup to backup your apps on device and sync them with various services.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  20. #20  
    Fillyo's Avatar

    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    617 Global Posts

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    Other than auto restore of apps and other settings (I believe auto restore remembers wifi and certain other settings), I would prefer to install and set up certain things cleanly, including email accounts, to make sure you have a nice clean install. You get very good at it the more you flash. I would definitely root, install CWM, and atleast back up your stock set up.
    Phil
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Verizon Unlimited Data
  21. #21  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    I had the S3 and returned it to get my iPhone back, I know I know, it just lagged A LOT. Idk why either because I wanted to like it so much, all the YouTube videos I watched, the S3's UI was smooth as butter, but the AT&T one I had was very slow at opening and closing anything from apps to settings to the Internet. It just really bugged me and I was within the first 30 days so I swapped it out free of charge. I'm not done with android at all though. I'm with iPhone for now just until I figure out what I'm gonna do come Xmas time. I may get the S3 again after it gets Jellybean, My friend has the nexus with JB and it is so smooth and quick. My girl has the HTC ONE X and it's amazing, but it's horrible at multitasking , no biggie tho the phone is awesome. So ya def good choice getting the HTC. I jailbreak my iPhone as well and I'm very curious to see how similar "rooting" is to jail breaking for when I get another android phone
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    I want to thank you all for the tips and help you have offer me.
    I'm really liking my new phone and learning more and more on a daily basis.
    This forum has helped me quite allot.

    To Adress some of the posts.
    Re. rooting.
    I think I made a mistake when I manually updated my phone to ICS 4.0.4
    From what I read that now I won't be able to root it till a new way of doing so comes out.
    I now hope that I'm wrong but if not hopefully a new root comes out soon.

    I have fixed the problem with the shortcuts that always downloaded on my home screen.
    Thanks for helping me with that.

    I still have a small problem with a notification.
    Every 25 -26 minutes after the hour my phone is making a sound and I see the GPS symbol flashing but I can't find out what is doing this.
    I have looked everywhere in the settings and in app settings but I can't find what is doing it.
    If any of you have any idea please let me know.

    Thanks
    Dukeblue91
    If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by macleod644 View Post
    I had the S3 and returned it to get my iPhone back, I know I know, it just lagged A LOT. Idk why either because I wanted to like it so much, all the YouTube videos I watched, the S3's UI was smooth as butter, but the AT&T one I had was very slow at opening and closing anything from apps to settings to the Internet. It just really bugged me and I was within the first 30 days so I swapped it out free of charge. I'm not done with android at all though. I'm with iPhone for now just until I figure out what I'm gonna do come Xmas time. I may get the S3 again after it gets Jellybean, My friend has the nexus with JB and it is so smooth and quick. My girl has the HTC ONE X and it's amazing, but it's horrible at multitasking , no biggie tho the phone is awesome. So ya def good choice getting the HTC. I jailbreak my iPhone as well and I'm very curious to see how similar "rooting" is to jail breaking for when I get another android phone
    Sorry to hear about the problems you had with your SG3.
    The One x is smooth as butter and the multitasking seems to work fine now since I upgraded it to ICS 4.0.4

    I can't speak to the rooting as I think I messed that window up when I upgraded the Rom.
    Good luck with your decision in the future.
    If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?
  24. #24  
    ungibbed's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    ROM
    T-mo stock ROM(JLB 4.1.1)

    Default Re: After my first week with the phone coming from iPhone

    I thought I'd just stop by and chime in here, I too came from the iPhone to Android long ago (iPhone 3G 16GB Was the top end at that time). Over the years, there have been some great phones and some stinkers...

    My first Android phone had a bad cellular radio and despite living a block away from the tower, I had no service inside while my work phone (a BlackBerry 8310 unlocked but an AT&T model ) had full signal strength.

    The first phone? It was a Samsung Behold II, having been with T-Mobile over 14 years now I never had so many problems but it was Samsung's first Android device. Compared to my iPhone, the Samsung camera absolutely crushed it at 5MP with a LED flash. The major problem with that Samsung phone was it's software. Still very early but showed much promise and the first AMOLED display along with the hardware made it beautiful to look at, but a pain to use.

    No Mac support either.

    The first truly great Android phones came out with the Mytouch 3G series and the Motorola Cliq (hardware qwerty device). I ended up buying the limited edition Fender edition which was a great phone despite a few issues. The price was as high as the most expensive phone in retail at T-Mobile $449.99 MSRP which was also unable to be returned due to it's limited edition nature.

    It had a painted wooden sunburst finish along with the rest of the accessories even down to the included stereo earbuds. It was truly unique and the first phone I could compare to my iPhone 3G. Both bad 16GB of storage, the same display resolution, and some similar applications.

    The Mytouch line back then was a HTC only affair and the Fender phone had a great build quality but nothing like the HTC models of now which are very unique.

    I loved being able to customize nearly anything at that time as the MT3G was a stock Google phone. No HTC sense, just stock Android 1.6 "Donut". It was a step back in the technical area compared to the Samsung with a 3.2MP autofocus camera but without a LED flash, and due to some relaxed hardware, better battery life.

    Fast forward to today, Android really has made amazing advances and pushing the smartphone into near tablet with larger screens, cameras that can keep up with nearly any point &shoot, and processors that would have never been thought possible on a mobile phone.

    While I don't have the One X, I do think it's a great phone. I closed down my account with AT&T but stuck with T-Mobile and currently still use a Galaxy S2 (no lawsuit bickering please...)

    The last HTC Phone I had was the Sensation and I loved most of it (still no Mac support). Very stylish design and such. My only problem was with the unibody design and short battery life.

    I thought I'd give Samsung another shot and the current S2 and S3 are incredible phones. If T-Mobile had the much better One X as opposed to the One S, I'd have one without question.

    Mac support can be achieved by using "Missing Sync" for Android devices. Which will sync your DRM free music from iTunes along with photos in iPhoto.

    You got a great phone, Android devices have had a bumpy road over the years and yesterday is no exception, but life goes on in the technology world. Android and iOS will still thrive and BlackBerry phones may end up making a comeback if RIM can shake the boring image they have a stigma with. Not sure what will become of Samsung but I wouldn't mind an update that gives me stock ICS or Jelly Bean.

    The chase is always fun and the ability to customize nearly every part of an Android phone makes it truly yours instead of having to conform to what Apple offers.
  25. #25  

    Default

    I came from an iPhone as well and while I miss some things I have not regretted it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions