Video chat using Google talk

iknownothing

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
My one x doesn't seem able to receive video chat using gtalk. It'll initiate them just fine. Anyone have any thoughts? Att version.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Martinezma99

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't see Google Talk in the App Store. I'm guessing Google is pushing people to use Google + hangouts for video chat.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't see Google Talk in the App Store. I'm guessing Google is pushing people to use Google + hangouts for video chat.

Talk comes pre-installed on every Android phone. Its an essential part of the Market app. If Talk can't make contact then Market won't either. You don't find the Play (google market) app in the app store either. Yet it gets silent updates pushed to it, as does Talk.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
My one x doesn't seem able to receive video chat using gtalk. It'll initiate them just fine. Anyone have any thoughts? Att version.

I've google talked with video to other phones with no problem, some HTC, some Moto.
It seems to want to use WIFI.

Martinezma99

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
So how do I initiate a video chat with another gmail user outside Google+ app?

What app or where on Android OS?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
So how do I initiate a video chat with another gmail user outside Google+ app?

What app or where on Android OS?

I was in the process of writing out detailed directions, then I just Googled it and came up
with this:

How to video chat on your Android smartphone using GTalk | TalkAndroid.com

If you find you can't use Video chats when on 3G, try installing this app from the app store:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...iwiY29tLnNreW1vYml1cy52dG9rIl0&token=-1LY3Oi0.

Reactions: Martinezma99

iknownothing

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I've google talked with video to other phones with no problem, some HTC, some Moto.
It seems to want to use WIFI.

I'm pretty sure the wifi thing is an at&t issue. My Sprint phones will work on or off wifi.

I can initiate chats without a problem, the thing just doesn't ring if someone initiates a chat with me. More accurately it won't wake up to ring. It seems to work okay if the screen is on when someone tries to initiate a chat. But how often will that happen?

What's truly odd is that with the wifi off the screen will wake up immediately to tell me that I can't accept the call.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you have wifi on while sleeping set to always in the wifi advanced settings?

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

BrianBaker

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Yep... It's mysterious. I'm wondering if it's just me. Can anyone else recreate this problem?

Yep,just went crazy for an hour trying to figure out why my wifes GS3 gets my video calls on wifi and/or 3g no matter if the screen is off or on..But my Evo LTE only gets video calls through google talk on wifi if my screen is already awake..But on 3G it connects no matter what the sleep state of the phone is.

My Wifi is set to always on.

stargalasia

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Device: HTC ONE S
Carrier: Tmobile
Country / Language: USA/English
OS / Browser / build number (if applicable): 4.0.3 ICS

Hello;
My issue is that if I have wifi on, Google hangout will NOT connect. As soon as I disconnect the wifi, and as long as I have a 4G connection, hangout starts working. Any ideas of why that might happen?

Thanks!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Router problems is my guess.

You might try making sure your phone has wifi set to be on even while the phone is sleeping (its in advance wifi settings) then let the phone go to sleep. Then ping the phone from another computer on the same network. If you can't ping it, it means that the phone is ignoring your request to keep wifi on while asleep. You are probably out of luck in this case, file a bug report is all you can do.

If the ping times are really high, but eventually are answered, it means the phone has put the wifi chip set in a low power sleep state. Best you can do with that case is send a google Talk text im to wake up the phone on the other end.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad