Benefits of unlocking??

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I am a complete newbie at unlocking or rooting, have never done any because I am generally happy with my phone (an international Tegra3 Vodafone branded), but I am starting to get tired of waiting for Vodafone to even provide us customers with an ETA for the OTA 4.0.4 update.

I was wondering if, by unlocking my phone, I would get an unbranded behavior. I mean, if I unlock, will I rely on HTC releasing the update as opposed to having to wait on HTC, then Vodafone? HTC is slow enough, no need for extra layers.

In addition, my phone is roughly 5 months old, so I was wondering if the risk of unlocking and voiding my warranty is worth it. Of course, if unlocking is a generally simple and reliable process, I would prefer it over the wait, but I have no idea how risky it is.

Any help is certainly appreciated.

anon(186320)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Unlocking won't give you the ability to get updates faster. I do recommend rooting and slapping on one of the many ICS or JB (if available) ROMs.

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

I am (for now) not interested in rooting and flashing a ROM yet. Happy with my phone as is, I enjoy Sense (specially like what I am hearing about Sense 4.1) and don't think there is anything 100% solid for the One X yet (might be wrong there, not 100% sure).

When Cyanogenmod 10 is officially out and ironed out, I might actually give it a shot, but I enjoy Sense features, specially around the camera, so don't feel like losing them for now.

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I am a Vodafone customer but I had to send back my original unit to HTC to get the WIFI issue repaired. HTC sent me an unbranded unit back so I got the update last week.

I know voda have to do there checks etc but seriously, they need to be a bit quicker.

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I am a Vodafone customer but I had to send back my original unit to HTC to get the WIFI issue repaired. HTC sent me an unbranded unit back so I got the update last week.

I know voda have to do there checks etc but seriously, they need to be a bit quicker.

Agreed, other companies in my country have already delivered the upgrade to their users while Vodafone has not even provided an estimation, it is a bit ridiculous... Oh, well, no option but to wait...

Lucky you got an unbranded unit! :D

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
in the UK always use carphone warehouse.all the phones are unlocked and unbranded no matter what carrier you use.

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know this, thanks for the info on Carphone Warehouse.

aye mate because they cover every carrier its not cost effective to carry 4-5 phones for each carrier ie 5 one x for orange and 5 one x for vodafone,o2,tmobile,virgin,talkmobile,etc and the same for a one s,one v,sg3 etc,etc.