Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Instant battery drain (to 0%) on AT&T One X

Interesting.

Thanks!

Wifi, in my experience, left on overnight does not affect battery life much at all. Like 1-2% drained overnight.
    Thanked by:

So to recap: the fourth night after I got my replacement phone, I had the same sudden, total battery drain I experienced once with the first phone. I uninstalled some apps this past Saturday to see if any of them were perhaps rogue and doing something unexpected to the battery, so it's now been four full days since they were uninstalled, and so far, no repeat of the total battery drain.

In case others who've experienced the total battery drain are interested, these are the apps I uninstalled:
    Yelp
    Toddler Lock
    Solitaire
    Parent Dashboard
    Kid Coloring
    (Ice Galaxy live wallpaper)

You may want to give a shot at deleting any of those you may have and see if it makes a difference for your own total battery drain issue. I'll keep you posted if it happens to me again.

The only other real change I made (a couple of days after uninstalling the above) was installing Nova Launcher, but that was primarily due to watching an HTC One X video whose host said that she calculated less battery drainage with Nova in place than without it... back to the usual issue of trying to conserve battery power day-to-day.

I just moved and had a few days without internet/wifi at my new home. My One X had a hard time keeping the battery charged when on LTE-only. It probably didn't help that I had 2 bars at the house instead of the full signal I'm used to, either. Before the move, I could leave the phone on overnight and lose maybe 10% of my battery. After moving, it was completely drained overnight from 70% when I forgot to put it on the charger.

My own anecdotal experience is that the LTE radio is draining your battery much faster than wifi will. If you have wifi, be sure to use it.
    Thanked by:

I'll give it a shot tonight. Last night I hit a new low (/high): 20% battery drain over about 6 hours of sitting idle on my nightstand. Those were the kind of numbers with my Samsung that ultimately led to my getting a new phone in the first place a couple of weeks back.

Still seems weird to me that there's such a huge variation in battery drain overnight. With the same apps installed, I've had as little as 4% overnight and as much as -- well, aside from the lone total battery drain problem -- 20%. Same apps, same phone, same location in the house for the same amount of time... odd that drainage swings that wildly.

Anyway, thanks, I'll try switiching to wifi tonight and see how it goes.

Icebike and SmorgasBorgnine -- I tried wifi overnight. 20% drop the previous night on LTE, and upwards of 30% drop last night on wifi. And that was allegedly with full bars.

Bear in mind, that's unusual... 20% (well, now over 30%) is the worst drop in the week I've had the phone. It's been as little as I think 4% (maybe 6%?) prior to two nights ago, and except for the one total power drop.

But check this out: more odd still is that I plugged it in when I woke up this morning (at around 65% battery power, as I recall), and checked it 10 minutes later for something else. That was when I noticed that, after being plugged in, the battery power had DROPPED to 38%. Even if it weren't plugged in, if I didn't get the connection quite completely so it wasn't actually charging, how does it drop almost 20% in 10 minutes?

I'd call my carrier about it, but I'm sure they'd again tell me it isn't a hardware issue (because it isn't happening all the time), so much be a software issue, so delete the apps and start from scratch, monitoring each app as I go. Looks like I may have to do just that.

I think you definitely have a software issue, because that much drop over night is just not normal.

Are you running a task killer? If so, uninstall it. Task killers can cause more drain, and are never needed since android 2.1.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Good to know that seems to be the right approach. I know I've got too many apps -- I'm a parent of a toddler so there's a lot of "just in case" entertainment apps -- so probably a good idea to trim down anyway.

The only task killer on there is the one that came stock on it. I haven't used it since getting this replacement phone. Not wholly sure I can uninstall it (any more than any other stock apps) because it's not rooted, but no, it's not something I use.

Incidentally, have you tried the app called Carat? Apparently it pinpoints what apps are battery drainers and suggests courses of action for them. Hadn't heard about it until yesterday.

... and of course, the possible irony of it being the battery drainer for the last 16 hours isn't lost on me...

I use carot for a long time. After I found all the culprits I un installed it. Battery monitors use battery.

Its far more likely to be some social app that's draining the battery than a kid's game. Kill Facebook. And similar apps as well.

(there is life after Facebook ;-)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, that was going to be my approach, as well: use Carat to find problem apps, then kill it. No reason to have it with no problems, after all.

And yeah, I think Facebook may be to blame. That one I'll uninstall, since it's far more robust just going to the full website anyway. Some flavor of Twitter app, though, you'll have to pry from my cold, dead hands...

My HTC One X replacement drained off when it had only skype and whatsapp installed in addition to the AT&T bloatware. For the second drain I had compass app installed. My data was off during both drains. But wifi was on during one of the drains.

Hoping it's not WhatsApp, because it's really handy for keeping me in touch with friends and family around the world.

But, guess I'll do whatever I need to do...

MoresoTorso do you have skype installed? Skype is known for it's poor power consumption

No, it's not installed, but thanks for the heads up.
    I've been doing a bit of reading around, and social media apps are definitely the most frequently earmarked as being bad battery drains, so I'll kill Facebook and see how that goes. If Plume (an installed Twitter client with a great UI) turns out to be an issue, too, I'll also kill it and try to find a decent Twitter app that isn't as big a battery drain, but hoping that's not the case...

try using the apps "where is my droid power" and "CPU spy" to check if this was caused by an app or (more likely) a hardware issue as it also shows the system processes the official power does not bring up. However looking at your stats, the drain must have happened within ~20 Minutes. Actually there is no way even when running 100% CPU and Graphics Engine to drain a fully charged One X within 20 Minutes.

Hi, Ichwardort --

Thanks for the feedback.
    I've currently got Carat running in the background to let me know what apps are causing the battery drain.

> However looking at your stats, the drain must have happened within ~20 Minutes.
    I'm not sure what this refers to -- the issue yesterday where the battery drained by a large amount while it was plugged in for 10 minutes?

> Actually there is no way even when running 100% CPU and Graphics Engine to drain a fully charged One X within 20 Minutes.
    There seems to be some confusion here... I never claimed that the battery fully drained within 20 minutes. What happened was on one occasion, it fully drained overnight. No idea how long it actually took over the course of those ~6 hours that I slept.

Hi, Icebike --

Incidentally, two things: 1) I can't uninstall Facebook. I'd forgotten that it's stock on the phone (and I'm not rooted). 2) Turns out the battery drain isn't Facebook-related anyway. I ran the phone in safe mode all last night, and there was a mere 2% battery loss in 8 hours. Which means it's definitely third-party software related. So now it's a matter of hunting down the guilty parties.

Carat's been running for about a day and a half and isn't reporting any problem apps yet, but I've gone ahead and just now deleted another half dozen I don't really use anyway. Figure I'll whittle down while waiting for it to report on what remains.

Dang. I don't even think I have a dozen apps lol. Hope you find the problem child.

Hi, Erwaso --

Yeah, I'm definitely suffering from the new smartphone user's disease of having too many apps. To be fair, though, it came stock with probably a good dozen or 15 on its own, and my own curiosity and occasional use apps (and as said before, the "just in case" apps for my toddler) has just made that number explode. Gotta trim down, though. Not doing myself any favors by carrying around the extra weight anyway, let alone it leading this battery drain issue.

Thanks El Presidente that would explain it. For the last 2 weeks I have been in a virtually no signal area, I didn't even think about that .
    Last edited by nihao15; 10-21-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    smartphone android

Quote Originally Posted by MoresoTorso View Post
    Hi, Erwaso --

Yeah, I'm definitely suffering from the new smartphone user's disease of having too many apps. To be fair, though, it came stock with probably a good dozen or 15 on its own, and my own curiosity and occasional use apps (and as said before, the "just in case" apps for my toddler) has just made that number explode. Gotta trim down, though. Not doing myself any favors by carrying around the extra weight anyway, let alone it leading this battery drain issue.
    Yeah I have toddler lock and some princess games for my 4yr old along with dead trigger, dark knight rises and some strategy games for myself. But none freak out on me at the moment lol.

Incidentally, I counted today: while it's true I have something north of 80 apps in total, fully 57 of them came stock on the phone (and so are untouchable through normal means).

Tempted to root the thing to shed the dead weight, if I was more confident about what's ok to uninstall. :/

My bestie has this problem on her hox just like I and many others have it on the sg3. Has anyone in here read the plummeting battery thread in the galaxy forums? Perhaps the same thing is happening.

The best theory over there is that it is caused by a glitch related to switching cell network type towers. So say you leave your home and the phone switches between 3g then 3g+ then Lte or some combo of switches like that, only a reset will prevent the plummet from eating your battery. The switching of towers seems to glitch something out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Hi, uscdigital --

Interesting theory. We do have a standing issue with our carrier where being anywhere in our house, our phone signals change across the bands... in some cases, severely enough that the call drops completely. So that may be the answer, in which case (at least while we're at home) the best action would -- as has been suggested by a couple of people already -- to change to wifi overnight, which will stay at a fixed signal strength when you don't move.

Hmm...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast