Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Instant battery drain (to 0%) on AT&T One X

Quote Originally Posted by yash777 View Post
    Thanks! I had kept it to 'Always' and it still drained. However after checking the usage page it shows a long list dominated by Spotify(178mb) Twitter(116mb) Facebook(98mb) and Chrome(74.24mb)

Any suggestions for this?
    Well, drag that left slider so that it only shows one day, rather than your month-to-date figure.

That way you can see what is using the network today.

Instant battery drain (to 0%) on AT&T One X-uploadfromtaptalk1353210733834.jpg

Note how the picture above shows a different set of apps as the high usage apps than I posted previously.

Seems very odd that twitter uses more than your browser.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Well, drag that left slider so that it only shows one day, rather than your month-to-date figure.

That way you can see what is using the network today.

Note how the picture above shows a different set of apps as the high usage apps than I posted previously.

Seems very odd that twitter uses more than your browser.

It's coz I rarely use my browser. Nevertheless before starting this thread I always had my wi fi on even while sleeping and it drained like anything. I barely get 8 hrs of battery life with wi fi on.

I have read through this thread carefully and several others I have found on this topic. I am still not finding a solution. Wondering if anyone else has.

I can summarise a lot of the threads both here and elsewhere like this.

The problem: HTC One X specifically begins to drain the battery extremely fast. I have timed the battery draining to empty from full in three hours with zero use. Faster with use, but not much. It is quite warm around the camera at the rear. The problem can occur intermittently or continually, but it always drains until it is empty. After it does so, I have seen it then run normally for weeks, but currently I'm finding it doesn't get out of the habit, rendering the phone pretty much useless.

The comments: A lot of people try to help by offering minor battery saving techniques. These are well meaning but useless. Without solving the actual problem this will not go away. Battery monitors are suggested. I bought BetterBatteryStats but it is too technical for me to work out just yet. Haven't spent long on it. People believe it to be a problem with the phone trying to determine its location, maybe for the weather app. It seems to have been determined not to have anything to do with the carrier, as users from both Canada and the US have reported it. I am in the UK too, so it seems to be the phone.

Personally, I am getting nowhere, and the problem which was intermittent is no longer. I have emailed HTC as I find it hard to believe they haven't heard of the problem. But would appreciate anyone with any knowledge letting me know!

Sam
    Thanked by:
    brekfest and Propelissa like this.

Have you gotten a response? I'm on my second phone and my HOX (AT&T version) just drained.

Quote Originally Posted by sampercy View Post

Personally, I am getting nowhere, and the problem which was intermittent is no longer. I have emailed HTC as I find it hard to believe they haven't heard of the problem. But would appreciate anyone with any knowledge letting me know!

Sam
    Ok, if it is not intermittent, then maybe you can install alogrec, and start recording logs the minute you notice the drain occurring. You might spot something in the text, but HTC may find it useful.

Most of the time there is nothing secret in the log, but you still should scan the text before sending it to HTC.

I got 0% drain in 3.5 hrs yesterday. I just changed to the US 2 pin adapter instead of using a 2 pin to 3 pin which came with my box from amazon. Going for a full charge right now. Let's see what juice I get tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Icebike, I have not heard of that and if the problem comes back, I will install it and see what the logs say.

After an unsuccessful weekend of continuing to search for a solution and fighting with the phone (even took the charger out with me on Saturday night, but still had to keep the phone off all night except when needing to use it) I bit the bullet and did a factory reset. It has solved the problem, and I am now tentatively adding apps back a few at a time each day, so as I can hopefully work out if there is a particular app which might cause the problem.

Also, I did get a message back from HTC. It was a standard response. Whoever read my message looked at my comment along the lines of "please don't send me a standard response about improving battery life, as this is a specific issue which needs addressing" and took it to mean "please do send me a standard response about improving battery life".

I got a standard email about sending the phone in, being charged for it and having the phone gone for a week, and the only information from me which looked like it would have been passed to the engineer was "poor battery life" and "phone excessively warm". Whilst those phrases together might trigger the engineer to think of this specific problem, that would only be the case if they knew of the problem, in which case they probably don't need my phone to do anything about it.

So HTC have successfully fobbed me off with a few key presses. I will not be a burden to their support system. And I will get a Samsung next time!

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

My dad's One X just had this issue, woke up to the phone with 10% battery and within seconds the phone turned off

When I first got my HTC One X, I was very happy with the battery life. I've gotten 4 days out of it a couple times (obviously not much happened those days).

Now, I'm enjoying the same pain many here have.

Since it seems the problem surfaces during the night, I'm going to use an awesome app to combat it: Tasker. It can take any event and cause any other event. I have it set now so that the phone goes into airplane mode from 12am to 6am.

We'll see how it goes.

Kurt

12/6 Update: I've got plenty of battery this morning
    12/13 Update: Still haven't had the problem return. My battery has slowly recovered to the normal 3 day usage.
    12/31 Update: Well, after over 3 full weeks of bliss, it happened to me this morning after 9 am. Bummer.
    1/21 Update: My 12/31 instant drain only happened once. I do recommend "Tasker" for anyone that suffers from nightly drains.

I should also note I disabled all facebook, friendstream, and twitter apps on 12/5. So, could be one of those apps were causing my problem.

It happened to me last night. 60% at 11:30pm and dead at 6:00am when I got up. 2 day old phone.

Instant battery drain (to 0%) on AT&T One X-uploadfromtaptalk1356022676183.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Happened to my dad's phone again...

Even a Galaxy S2 seems better then this.

ROM
    CM 10.1 and AOKP 4.2 RP

I've had this on a much less dramatic scale. From like 14% down to 3% in an instant. Annoying. It happened also after I rooted and ROMmed, so it wasn't an HTC software issue.

I'm thinking of rooting just to get rid of this issue (and finnally get JB). But if it still happens then I probably will not go to the trouble....

It happened a few more times to my phone. I'm now rooted and ROMed and it hasn't happened since.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

This happened to me last night around 2am EST.

I typically always have wifi on, especially at home. Haven't had this problem before. Last night, I did not have wifi on.

Try keeping wifi on and stay connected overnight for a week or two to see if anything changes. It could be an issue with LTE coverage. Last night was pretty stormy and windy around here when it happened to me.

Got this phone in November on Black Friday. In that time, I've returned for replacement twice. All three phones have the instant drain battery issue. First two I stayed stock...Actually the first one, I didn't install any 3rd party apps. It just started the first day with dripping from about 80% to 0%. Kept it about a week before returning. Second phone, I installed some LWP and a few games like Angry Birds and Shine Runner. Same battery issue. Now, I'm on phone three and I've unlocked and installed UrDroid 1.8 ROM. I had gone for close to a month without a battery crash (still happens randomly), but it happened again just now. I took the phone off the charger approx. 3 hours ago and drained to 0% in that time. No LWP running, but I did play the game Diversion for about half an hour. Battery died when I went to homescreen. I keep WiFi on when I'm at home, but I never use the mobile LTE connection even on the road.

Strange thing: My wife has the same phone. Same apps, same games, but completely different usage patterns including mobile and wifi on most of the day with heavy facebook and internet usage. Her phone has never had the sudden drain.
    NookColor CM10.1 eMMC.
    Acer Iconia A700 iconiaN 2.6
    Asus Slider SL101 Revolver 4.2.1
    HTC One X Team Venom ViperXL 3.2.8

Is this still happening to anyone or has it been fixed?

Yes, I was experiencing this up until I switched to yet another ROM.

Team Venom ViperXL 3.2.8 seems to have completely solved the issue for me. Apparently the drain has to do with the voltage settings in the ROMs, and the default on Team Venom's ROM has solved my problem. No reboots OR instant drains in about six weeks (since I installed it).
    NookColor CM10.1 eMMC.

So can I fix this with an OTA update or do I have to use a custom ROM?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeRyno View Post
    Yes, I was experiencing this up until I switched to yet another ROM.

Team Viper's V3.2.8 seems to have completely solved the issue for me. Apparently the drain has to do with the voltage settings in the ROMs, and the default on Team Viper's ROM has solved my problem. No reboots OR instant drains in about six weeks (since I installed it).

Don't believe it has anything to do with the voltage settings.

If that were the case, EVERY one of these phones would have the problem.

Furthermore AT@T would have pushed an update because it costs them time and money to exchange phones.

It's just what I read in one of the threads on things to do with random reboots over at XDA. I was also experiencing the random reboots..At least once a day on stock, and on UrDroid 1.8.

After I installed the ViperXL, I've not had any issues at all with reboots or battery draining to zero. AT&T has replaced two phones for me, and when this one started doing the exact same thing I just said screw it to the warranty and have been trying random ROMs. Only ViperXL has had any impact on the problem. Rage, UrDroid, and CleanROM still had the issue for me.

From the ElementalX kernel thread:
    Q. I installed ElementalX and I get random reboots
    A. If the reboots occur when your phone is idle, increase your voltage or increase your max screen off frequency. If the reboots occur while you are using the device, scale back your overclock and/or increase voltage. If all else fails, choose the vanilla option.
    NookColor CM10.1 eMMC.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234