Instant battery drain (to 0%) on AT&T One X

yash777

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Just a duplicate post from another battery thread:

I just got a One X 3 weeks back and I was facing the same problem. My phone would hardly last 6 hours with continuous wifi and moderate browsing with screen time of around 3 hours. I was also compelled to buy the ultimate version of Juice Defender. After browsing some threads some people suggested getting rid of the weather widget. I have been experimenting with different settings since a few days and only today I got rid of the weather widget and installed the fancy widgets. Look at the difference it made :cool:

I am using a live wallpaper, auto sync, music on and also poor reception in the following screenshots.

This is after I installed Fancy widget and got rid of the default weather widget:

2012-11-15193929.png

This is after I the got the weather widget back on the home screen

2012-11-15194233.png

And this is after I removed the weather widget again.

2012-11-15195119.png

My battery dropped from 84% to 80% in about 5 mins after getting the default weather widget on my home screen, whereas it remained on 85% without the widget for 46 mins(1st image)

Absolutely shocking how HTC still hasn't addressed this. I was contemplating returning this phone because of the piss poor battery life but thankfully I've found a fix after researching. I love this phone and its even better now :D

Morgoroth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the ATT version from the states and I had the same issue, so I think it's all of them.
Maybe even an ICS thing, but I'm not sure about that.

n9lbuzz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
@yash777 - can you explain what exactly you did when you say got rid of weather widget? I have removed it from displaying on the home screen of my phone but I am still facing the problem of the battery tanking.

yash777

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
@yash777 - can you explain what exactly you did when you say got rid of weather widget? I have removed it from displaying on the home screen of my phone but I am still facing the problem of the battery tanking.

I removed it from the home screen too but as I said it isn't making a difference anymore

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

Go to settings, apps, all, and disable as many of the weather thing that you can.

uploadfromtaptalk1353182982088.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Routinely 18 to 24 hours with wifi on and never sleep set.

Wifi saves battery. Its been proven over and over again.

Talisman39

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
You may have tried this before, but based on a tip somewhere else on the forum, I switched off "Enable Fast Boot" in settings. This cured my battery drain problem after rebooting "properly". I guess the Fast Boot leaves some rogue things not cleaned up so rebooting doesn't help. I'm now back to 1.5+ days of battery, whereas I was getting maybe 6 hours at one point.

Also, when this happened one time before I turned off "Enable Tilt Scrolling" in the Developer menu of Chrome settings (if you use Chrome), again based on a forum tip. That also fixed it at the time.

The battery drain issue does come and go, I haven't found a consistent culprit...

yash777

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Routinely 18 to 24 hours with wifi on and never sleep set.

Wifi saves battery. Its been proven over and over again.

I just turned wifi on and it drained 2% in 4 mins. And by never sleep do you mean Keep wifi on during sleep to Never?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I just turned wifi on and it drained 2% in 4 mins. And by never sleep do you mean Keep wifi on during sleep to Never?

The wording varies by phone and rom.

My international model says "Keep Wifi on during sleep" , and it is set to Always.

You need to go to usage page, and tap Wifi, and find out what is using your wifi.
uploadfromtaptalk1353209114626.jpg

Also if you just took the phone off the charger, it is invalid to check battery, because it drops quickly over the first 5 percent when it's fully charged. Your screen uses far more battery than all your radios put together. Measure battery usage over an hour with screen off.

Use auto bright. It works wonders.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Also, when this happened one time before I turned off "Enable Tilt Scrolling" in the Developer menu of Chrome settings (if you use Chrome), again based on a forum tip. That also fixed it at the time.

Oh, also be aware that just HAVING Chrome on your phone uses a lot of battery due to background processes that it runs. This is not unique to HTC, it also happens on all phones and tablet.

For that reason I don't run chrome at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it doesn't offer enough advantage over stock browser to entice me to pay the battery tax.

yash777

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The wording varies by phone and rom.

My international model says "Keep Wifi on during sleep" , and it is set to Always.

You need to go to usage page, and tap Wifi, and find out what is using your wifi.

Also if you just took the phone off the charger, it is invalid to check battery, because it drops quickly over the first 5 percent when it's fully charged. Your screen uses far more battery than all your radios put together. Measure battery usage over an hour with screen off.

Use auto bright. It works wonders.

Thanks! I had kept it to 'Always' and it still drained. However after checking the usage page it shows a long list dominated by Spotify(178mb) Twitter(116mb) Facebook(98mb) and Chrome(74.24mb)

Any suggestions for this?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I had kept it to 'Always' and it still drained. However after checking the usage page it shows a long list dominated by Spotify(178mb) Twitter(116mb) Facebook(98mb) and Chrome(74.24mb)

Any suggestions for this?

Well, drag that left slider so that it only shows one day, rather than your month-to-date figure.

That way you can see what is using the network today.

uploadfromtaptalk1353210733834.jpg

Note how the picture above shows a different set of apps as the high usage apps than I posted previously.

Seems very odd that twitter uses more than your browser.

yash777

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, drag that left slider so that it only shows one day, rather than your month-to-date figure.

That way you can see what is using the network today.

Note how the picture above shows a different set of apps as the high usage apps than I posted previously.

Seems very odd that twitter uses more than your browser.

It's coz I rarely use my browser. Nevertheless before starting this thread I always had my wi fi on even while sleeping and it drained like anything. I barely get 8 hrs of battery life with wi fi on.

sampercy

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have read through this thread carefully and several others I have found on this topic. I am still not finding a solution. Wondering if anyone else has.

I can summarise a lot of the threads both here and elsewhere like this.

The problem: HTC One X specifically begins to drain the battery extremely fast. I have timed the battery draining to empty from full in three hours with zero use. Faster with use, but not much. It is quite warm around the camera at the rear. The problem can occur intermittently or continually, but it always drains until it is empty. After it does so, I have seen it then run normally for weeks, but currently I'm finding it doesn't get out of the habit, rendering the phone pretty much useless.

The comments: A lot of people try to help by offering minor battery saving techniques. These are well meaning but useless. Without solving the actual problem this will not go away. Battery monitors are suggested. I bought BetterBatteryStats but it is too technical for me to work out just yet. Haven't spent long on it. People believe it to be a problem with the phone trying to determine its location, maybe for the weather app. It seems to have been determined not to have anything to do with the carrier, as users from both Canada and the US have reported it. I am in the UK too, so it seems to be the phone.

Personally, I am getting nowhere, and the problem which was intermittent is no longer. I have emailed HTC as I find it hard to believe they haven't heard of the problem. But would appreciate anyone with any knowledge letting me know!

Sam

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I am getting nowhere, and the problem which was intermittent is no longer. I have emailed HTC as I find it hard to believe they haven't heard of the problem. But would appreciate anyone with any knowledge letting me know!

Sam

Ok, if it is not intermittent, then maybe you can install alogrec, and start recording logs the minute you notice the drain occurring. You might spot something in the text, but HTC may find it useful.

Most of the time there is nothing secret in the log, but you still should scan the text before sending it to HTC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital