Why don't people like HTC anymore?

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Below is from an article I read and I really don't understand why. The One X is an amazing device with a gorgeous screen! Why can't it get any traction? IT'S ONLY $99 FROM AT&T!! I don't get it.

"For the first eight months of 2012, revenues amounted to NT$207.87 billion, decreasing 34.8% from a year earlier, the result of poor reception by the market in Europe and US of their HTC One line of Android smartphones."

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

imtoomuch

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Because they don't update their phones with the newest version of Android. I had the Incredible, one of their most popular and well liked devices, and it never got a real update.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Too many people in contracts with the inspire and stock inspire had a lot of problems but that one x omg I want it but they did a big no no they messed with multitasking and non removable batteries the bigger core android enthousiest webuate that inspire of motors sells with the Droid razer and they only released it to at&t I want that phone soooo bad but the gs3 has user removal let batteries trust me its a must andbexpandi let storage we can somewhat deal with the battery but no expandible storage with a data $$$ greedy network good bye %$$$$ see what I mean?? If they release a another one series with better specs and user removable storage and battery you can't stop me and they need to open beats as a system equalizer not just in the music app some of us like log spotify Google music even YouTube would benefit see my point of view?

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Maybe because the one x seemed to have a fair amount of issues? I speak from experience with selling them. We'd get a lot of them back DOA and its not like we can just try a new battery :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I dont know,their a great manufacturer. I read this one review that was completly trying to chew on htc for releasing the one x. It said " the one x is an awsome phone,but is it too much too soon from a company thats only about a decade old.?" Like,dude.. their one of the top dogs,what does their age have to do with anything.? I research any phone before i get. Once i read that i knew i was gettin' the one x. Their are alot of htc haters,but htc is a great company. No matter what any one says,htc is my favorite smartphone maker. W/ samsung in second and moto in third lol.

Sent from my super awe-esome Htc one x:)

robthesixthree

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
All these complaints about the phone, battery, storage, blah, blah blah. It's all nonsense. This is a fantastic phone and that stuff is a non issue. I do agree with the inspire being a pos, but the things I liked about it are all here, and the things I didn't are all gone. HTC has my support and I will continue to buy their products

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's because the Thunderbolt was terrible, and they didn't have a blockbuster 2011 phone. They lost people's attention when they didn't have a real answer to the Galaxy S II.

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's because the Thunderbolt was terrible, and they didn't have a blockbuster 2011 phone. They lost people's attention when they didn't have a real answer to the Galaxy S II.

But their answer to the S3 gets overshadowed by Samsung's obscenely large marketing budget. :cool:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ya. I have also been confused with the lackluster response from the public on HTC devices recently. I think Phil even commented on how he loved going back to his OneX after using the SG3 demo.

I had a HTC desire a couple of years ago and really loved it. I think that Sense is still the most well thought out UI. It looked and operated the more intuitively IMO than on my SG2. I still love my Samsung but find I miss some things on my old desire. My daughter uses it now and when I pick it up its like visiting an old friend.

That being said, I really think HTC messed up with the non removable battery. This should be a standard feature on any android phone unless it has a monster battery like on the Motorola RAZR maxx. I would not buy the One X for this reason even though I love the phone. I think HTC would be smart to release an updated version of the One X with a 2500mHa battery. Motorola gets this and Samsung gets this with the SG3, I just don't see how HTC keeps missing this simple yet very important feature. But I read they have a new version of the One X coming out but it will have the same skimpy 1800 battery. They are obviously not thinking. With Samsung doing so much marketing they have to be able to compete feature for feature or people will opt for the SG3. If the Samsung phone is setting the bar why would anyone opt to get the OneX with fewer features?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I still love HTC devices, they actually feel like quality instead of cheap plastic. I also like Sense 4 much better over the previous versions.

- - - Updated - - -

I still love HTC devices, they actually feel like quality instead of cheap plastic. I also like Sense 4 much better over the previous versions.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Because they don't update their phones with the newest version of Android. I had the Incredible, one of their most popular and well liked devices, and it never got a real update.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

To regular folks, updating to the newest version of Android is irrelevant.

And those people far outweigh us on an Android forum.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I agree. Problems with their 2010 phones plus no homerun in 2011 probably turned a lot of people off to HTC.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

dtvizer101

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Ya. I have also been confused with the lackluster response from the public on HTC devices recently. I think Phil even commented on how he loved going back to his OneX after using the SG3 demo.

I had a HTC desire a couple of years ago and really loved it. I think that Sense is still the most well thought out UI. It looked and operated the more intuitively IMO than on my SG2. I still love my Samsung but find I miss some things on my old desire. My daughter uses it now and when I pick it up its like visiting an old friend.

That being said, I really think HTC messed up with the non removable battery. This should be a standard feature on any android phone unless it has a monster battery like on the Motorola RAZR maxx. I would not buy the One X for this reason even though I love the phone. I think HTC would be smart to release an updated version of the One X with a 2500mHa battery. Motorola gets this and Samsung gets this with the SG3, I just don't see how HTC keeps missing this simple yet very important feature. But I read they have a new version of the One X coming out but it will have the same skimpy 1800 battery. They are obviously not thinking. With Samsung doing so much marketing they have to be able to compete feature for feature or people will opt for the SG3. If the Samsung phone is setting the bar why would anyone opt to get the OneX with fewer features?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Samsung and moto use cheap plastics that give you that lightweight design that is how they can afford the heavier bigger battery without you noticing

HTC on the other hand goes for quality

Second off ok it has a 1800 mh battery
But I'm still getting 16 hours avg a day And I'm a heavy user ....

The non removable battery is no big deal it actually makes it a more reliable less faulty phone worst case anything goes wrong as long as I'm in contract att store will replace it on the spot for me

So like really stop using that argument its bs

No expandable memory argument is bs too

Google is emphasizing on cloud storage etc so if you are to lazy nd ignorant to accept the next thong then sir you have a problem there is no need for an sd card when I have features such as

Google music
Dropbox
Google drive

In total that's 25gb for music
25 for whatever
And 5 for docs

I even put all the movies from iTunes into my play movies storage so I can stream em anywhere

Like really your arguments are old and pointless find something HTC dosent appeal to the complaining consumer like you hence its your loss

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
All these complaints about the phone, battery, storage, blah, blah blah. It's all nonsense. This is a fantastic phone and that stuff is a non issue. I do agree with the inspire being a pos, but the things I liked about it are all here, and the things I didn't are all gone. HTC has my support and I will continue to buy their products

But post anything about not needing a replaceable battery and everybody on AC immediately jumps your bones like you kicked their cat or something.

Its utter blasphemy to suggest that an external battery pack is a better choice than swapping batteries. You get called troll simply for suggesting it.

No doubt, AT&T damaged this phone by insisting on small storage. But realistically that only affects maybe 8 or 10% of the user base, My wife would never notice.
But some people insist they have to carry every song they ever pirated, and 10 movies with them in their phone everywhere they go.
I could easily fit within 16gigs, even with 5gig of Google Music pinned to the phone.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
But post anything about not needing a replaceable battery and everybody on AC immediately jumps your bones like you kicked their cat or something.

Its utter blasphemy to suggest that an external battery pack is a better choice than swapping batteries. You get called troll simply for suggesting it.

No doubt, AT&T damaged this phone by insisting on small storage. But realistically that only affects maybe 8 or 10% of the user base, My wife would never notice.
But some people insist they have to carry every song they ever pirated, and 10 movies with them in their phone everywhere they go.
I could easily fit within 16gigs, even with 5gig of Google Music pinned to the phone.

The problem is that a lot of the people that say they won't get the phone because of that really don't even need to be able to swap the battery, because they are around a charger most of the time. Just like the people that won't notice the storage, there are just as many people that won't notice the battery. They'll just charge it when it says to charge it.

If anybody has a problem because "HTC took the option away" then honestly just get over it. There are other phones out there. Buy a different phone. If you're stuck with a One X and don't like the non-removable battery then sell it on Craigslist/Ebay and get something different. If you're ok keeping the phone, then you're ok with everything it does or doesn't do. But saying HTC made this terrible decision and "ZOMG they took the removable battery door away" while at the same time continuing to use and own the phone is hypocritical. If it's as bad as some of those people say, and it's that much of a deal breaker, then you should have a phone that has the features that are most important to you.

A lot of people just want something to complain about or say "my phone has that and yours doesn't".

Yes, that was a rant. Not directed at anybody in particular. That would be like me owning a Motorola phone with that terrible pentile qHD screen, complaining about it all the time, but not getting a different phone.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Since leaving BB for Android I gave only used HTC and will continue. Love Sense and HTC

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that a lot of the people that say they won't get the phone because of that really don't even need to be able to swap the battery, because they are around a charger most of the time. Just like the people that won't notice the storage, there are just as many people that won't notice the battery. They'll just charge it when it says to charge it.

I agree.
I use my HOX a lot! I have NEVER been in a situation where I couldn't charge it! I bought a car charger at walmart for $15. I bought a generic USB to micro USB at the damn dollar store so I could plug it in at work if need be. Guess how much that was? Yep, a DOLLAR!
My point being, people are usually in one of those 3 places, home, work or car. So PLUG IT IN once in awhile! Seriously, carrying a second battery and swapping it seems primitive to me..... but what do I know....

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I like there phones and Sense. If they would roll out there updates quicker and make the same phone on every carrier. Not have each carrier with there own version. The Droid Incredible 2 which I have still doesn't have ICS it been a year come on already. The next phone I get will be a Nexus unless HTC does some major changes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad